NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Nicasio 2011 Season Outlook

Ty Lawsome

The Rockies will promote Juan Nicasio from Double-A to start on Saturday against the Cardinals.

Nicasio has posted a strong 2.22 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in nine starts this season at Double-A Tulsa, but he can be avoided for fantasy purposes against a hot-hitting St. Louis team. The 24-year-old might have fantasy value down the road if the Rox decide to give him more than just one look.

From John Sickles:

Colorado Rockies prospect Juan Nicasio had a solid year in the California League in 2010, going 12-10, 3.91 with a 171/31 K/BB in 177 innings. But he gave up 186 hits, and he was a little old for the league at age 23/24. Promoted to Double-A Tulsa this year, he's been even better so far at the higher level, going 5-1, 2.22 in nine starts with a 63/10 K/BB in 57 innings, 48 hits allowed.

And from Troy Renck:

Talked to source on Nicasio, said that he was hitting 101 mph in last outing and is throwing great.
Throws 95-100. Great fastball. Slider needs a lot of work. But changeup improving.
Tracy said with Nicasio is more along lines of spot start. Cook could take his spot in next turn. But that's not in stone.

Right now he's Colorado's #1 pitching prospect. I'm personally excited to see what he can do. And given his competition at the back end of Colorado's rotation, there is a decent chance he could stick.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to have a lottery ticket on my roster and after seeing Nicasio in person 2 weeks ago and reading about him.

I like to have a lottery ticket on my roster and after seeing Nicasio in person 2 weeks ago and reading about him.

What'd you think when you saw him?

Good test for him against the Cardinals. Right now the book is that he only has a fastball but Michael Pineda has gotten by with that all year. Of course Pineda pitches in Safeco not in Coors so who knows...

What'd you think when you saw him?

Good test for him against the Cardinals. Right now the book is that he only has a fastball but Michael Pineda has gotten by with that all year. Of course Pineda pitches in Safeco not in Coors so who knows...

Actually Pineda gets by with his fastball and his slider. But it sounds like from what I have read is that Nicasio has four pitches that are at least average (fastball, change, curve & slider). But if we have learned anything from Pineda is that if you have good command and at least two above average pitches, you could do very well your first time around the league.

Though pitching in Coors will hurt for a guy that is below average at getting groundballs.

Nothing is really set in stone right now, from what I've read. The last two rotation spots are still kind of up in the air. Mortensen has pitched well enough in his past couple starts to earn him at least a couple more, but I wouldn't say that he is guaranteed a spot for the rest of the year. Cook obviously has an upper hand in this fight because of his history and name value. But he wasn't very good at all last year, is coming off a long injury, and hasn't looked overly good in his rehab starts.

For now it's supposedly only a one game thing, but that's also what they said about Mortensen, and he ended up pitching decent enough to get a few more so far. If Nicasio has himself a good game against a very good lineup, I don't see how they don't give him another. So I'd say it's a fluid situation.

The thing I love about Nicasio is that even with his overpowering fastball, he still has great control. He strikes out 10 per 9, but only walks 1.5. He kind of reminds me of a young Ubaldo....only not nearly as wild, but with not quite as good of stuff. Ubaldo also kind of came out of nowhere at a later age. I'm hoping for a repeat...that'd be sweet.

As his debut is tomorrow, Nicasio was written about by Sickels again today. Link below.

Prospect of the Day: Juan Nicasio, RHP, Colorado Rockies

Colorado signed Nicasio as a free agent from the Dominican Republic in 2006. He spent '07 and '08 in short-season ball, with decent results, then emerged as a fine prospect with a 2.41 ERA and a 115/23 K/BB in 112 innings for Asheville in the Sally League in 2009. He followed up with a 3.91 ERA in 177 innings for Modesto in the California League last year, with a sharp 171/31 K/BB. Pitching for Double-A Tulsa this spring, Nicasio was 5-1, 2.22 with a 63/10 K/BB in 57 innings and 48 hits allowed before his promotion to the majors.

Nicasio's velocity has been steadily improving, moving from the 88-92 range earlier in his career, to 90-95 last year, to more consistent mid-90s readings this year including some reports of him touching 100 for Tulsa. He mixes in a very good curveball, as well a decent slider and changeup, giving him a complete arsenal. He throws strikes, has a good feel for pitching, and has had no trouble adapting to Double-A.

There are no flaws in Nicasio's statistics and his scouting reports are positive. The only real negative here is his lack of experience in the high minors, but we'll just have to see how he adapts. He has the stuff and command to be at least a number three starter, and perhaps more.

doesnt appear to be available in yahoo leagues yet. WTF?

I know... It's so annoying how they just arbitrarily pick players to have listed and not have listed.

Like you can add the Cards Shelby Miller, but not this guy, or Hosmer was there all season but not Jerry Sands.

I'd grab this guy in my 18 team league if I could, I think. Not against the Cards though.

Probably tonight after the game or tomorrow morning. I'm sure he's already with the team, just don't need to officially make the move until they have to. I think Bruce Billings has his spot right now, who just came up a few days ago for bullpen insurance.

Probably tonight after the game or tomorrow morning. I'm sure he's already with the team, just don't need to officially make the move until they have to. I think Bruce Billings has his spot right now, who just came up a few days ago for bullpen insurance.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to this guy.

anyone else excited to have him?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to this guy.

anyone else excited to have him?

I'm a happy Nicasio owner, but not for 2011. While I'll be watching his performance today for fun, in reality his lack of high minors experience combined w/ his opposition today does not make for ideal debut circumstances. My eye is looking at his development toward usefulness sometime in 2012 or beyond. Link to another new Nicasio article below.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php...ing-the-minors/

looking at this http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=5&year=2011

they still havent called him up officially. With a 7pm start time you would think they would make the move?

what gives?

I saw him in the dugout last night on the broadcast. Who knows when they'll make it official, or if they already have and it just isn't on the sites.

He better be pitching though, I just bought tickets specifically to watch his debut. B)

I saw him in the dugout last night on the broadcast. Who knows when they'll make it official, or if they already have and it just isn't on the sites.

He better be pitching though, I just bought tickets specifically to watch his debut. B)

thats cool that you are going. Let us know how he looks after the game. It would be nice to get a live report.

i really want to pick him up, i just have to wait until the rockies make it official. Have been hitting refresh for a while now.

have fun.

Archived