NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Nicasio 2011 Season Outlook

Ty Lawsome

Even the most lowly MLB batter should be vastly more talented than the hitters Nicasio has faced in the minors. SF may be down right now, but as last night's game showed, that doesn't mean they're laying down. I will be observing Nicasio's performances w/ the hope he learns from every MLB outing, good or bad. After all, newbies need about 2 - 3 seasons of MLB seasoning to really arrive.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definitely a chance he sticks. As I've said before, there are only three rotations spots guaranteed right now, which leaves two spots up for grabs between three guys. Cook may have the upper hand for one of them because of his stature, but he'll only be able to get by on that for so long. Mortensen is a nobody that pitched well in his first few outings, but has been pretty bad in his past couple. If Nicasio pitches well tonight, then it could easily be Mortensen who gets kicked from the rotation. The only problem there is that it'd take some serious shuffling since Cook lines up with Nicasio's spot perfectly, and Mortensen's is right in the middle.

After all, newbies need about 2 - 3 seasons of MLB seasoning to really arrive.

Not true at all past 3 years...pitchers with plus stuff and high prospect pedigree have been actually pretty dominant from the get go...this year's examples Pineda/Britton last year Dan Hudson/David Price etc.

There is definitely a chance he sticks. As I've said before, there are only three rotations spots guaranteed right now, which leaves two spots up for grabs between three guys. Cook may have the upper hand for one of them because of his stature, but he'll only be able to get by on that for so long. Mortensen is a nobody that pitched well in his first few outings, but has been pretty bad in his past couple. If Nicasio pitches well tonight, then it could easily be Mortensen who gets kicked from the rotation. The only problem there is that it'd take some serious shuffling since Cook lines up with Nicasio's spot perfectly, and Mortensen's is right in the middle.

How is Aaron Cook still around. It feels like every single year some team has him, he sucks, get hurt, then comes back for a rotation spot. Aaron Cook is like herpes.

I'd love to see Nicasio stick. COL has had good success with pitchers recently.

How is Aaron Cook still around. It feels like every single year some team has him, he sucks, get hurt, then comes back for a rotation spot. Aaron Cook is like herpes.

I'd love to see Nicasio stick. COL has had good success with pitchers recently.

I firmly believe if Nicasio can register a QS tonight he will remain up with the big club. The Rockies need a shot in the arm the worst way with De La Rosa gone for the year and their lineup scuffling quite badly (Dropping Fowler to 8th bringing up EYJ to bat in the top of the order)

Cook has been with the Rockies his entire career. He's never been great, but he has always been consistently solid throughout his career. And up until last year, had been the Rockies' opening day starter. The fact that he has been with the organization for 14 years, and is very well liked, is the reason why he is still in line to have a rotation spot waiting for him right now. He'll still have to perform, as all players do, but he has definitely earned the right of first refusal.

Any word on whether or not he'll make his next start? It is probably @ SD if he does which would obviously be an awesome matchup.

For a guy with excellent control #s in the minors I was surprised to see him so erratic. He missed his spots BY FEET last night. Still, his fastball is lively and with zip, the only damage was on a few fat hanging offspeed pitches.

Still, his offspeed stuff looks flat to me and so I think that caps his upside. A quality start was nice, but I expected a bit more from the guy.

You'd think if he wasn't going to get another start, he would have been sent down this morning. It seems like they're going to wait and see what Mortensen does on Monday, and then make the decision between the two.

I don't think he'll be starting in SD though, Cook is set to pitch in the spot Nicasio has right now. So if he stays in the rotation, he'll probably take over Mortensen's spot and not pitch until next Saturday. But that's just my guess.

This thread is full of info on him. If you mean his status going forward, then..

http://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/78150187104747520

As for Nicasio-Mortensen question. I expect answer tomorrow. My gut says Mortensen to pen, Nicasio stays in rotation.

I also heard a quote somewhere about how they wanted to see how Mortensen looked last night, and that while the results were good, he didn't exactly look good 'enough'. I think it might have been from Tracy, but I can't find it now.

This thread is full of info on him. If you mean his status going forward, then..

http://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/78150187104747520

I also heard a quote somewhere about how they wanted to see how Mortensen looked last night, and that while the results were good, he didn't exactly look good 'enough'. I think it might have been from Tracy, but I can't find it now.

Yes I did mean moving forward. I should have been more clear. I have tracked from the minors and brought him up when came up. I love his potential, but I keep hearing about his lack of refinement with his secondary pitches and we still don't know about him vs. Mortensen. Thanks for the Tweet link though.

http://twitter.com/#!/TroyRenck/status/78551433489825792

Greg Reynolds in meeting w Tracy. So that's the likely move

Meaning that Cook is taking Reynolds spot on the roster, Mortensen is moving to the pen for long relief, and Nicasio is keeping his spot in the rotation and should be starting Saturday against the Dodgers.

That's good news, as it likely means Nicasio will be a major league starter for the rest of the year(barring injury or ultimate suckage).

Juan Nicasio has secured a spot in the Rockies' rotation.

The Rox have moved Clayton Mortensen to the bullpen to clear room. Nicasio, 24, has allowed just three earned runs in two total starts this season and could be worth rostering in NL-only fantasy formats.

How do you think he will do against the Dodgers tomorrow. Hopefully he has learned a some his first few starts and will continue progressing. Hopefully with a tad few more K's.....hopefully....any thoughts?

Watching from the box score, seems like he only really made 2 mistakes. Leadoff HR to Denoforia. Double to the #8 hitter on a 1-2 count to Alberto Gonzalez.

Overall, satisfied with his outing, may come out for the 6th....

Archived