NBC Sports Edge Forums

Juan Nicasio 2011 Season Outlook

Ty Lawsome

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he tee'd it up for the Tribe.

He is getting to much plate and to me, just waiver fodder now with a good K rate.

Had a perfect game with one out in the 5th. But that second time through the lineup, when he was throwing like 85% fastballs, went pretty much as expected. The Yankees are too good to get beat by basically one pitch from a rookie, no matter how good he is at throwing it.

This is basically what I expect from him the rest of the year. Spots on dominance, and then spots where he gets hit very very hard. As he develops his secondary stuff further, he'll become more consistently good. But right now he is just way too predictable for veteran hitters.

He finally threw his breaking stuff for strikes, and the result was fantastic. If he can do that consistently, he'll be consistently very good. Right now I don't have a ton of faith in him being able to do that, which is why it's going to be a mixed bag on the kind of outings he's going to have. But it was nice to see tonight.

I like this guy. He throws very hard- his avg fastball velocity is 93.9 which would place him at 6th overall in MLB right now. Combine that with the fact that he has shown very very good control at all levels pitching and it's a great combo. Like somebody else said, if he starts throwing other pitches for strikes you could be talking about a very useful guy in pretty much all leagues.

Anyone starting the rookie today? McCann is out of the lineup and the Braves rank near the bottom in BAVG and OPS in day games this season. Is this a risky spot-start?

Anyone starting the rookie today? McCann is out of the lineup and the Braves rank near the bottom in BAVG and OPS in day games this season. Is this a risky spot-start?

McCann may be out, but Freeman, Uggla and Chipper are all hot right now. I would be somewhat hesitant to roll the dice on this one...

Sigh, kid has a lot more to work on.

Not watching the game, but seems to have a tough time getting lefties out...

EDIT: SEems to have a tough time getting anyone out now...

On a bright note, i also own Freeman so not all is lost.

• 2 weeks later...

starting to get a big of a fan boy crush here

havent taken the plunge yet, as his secondary stuff needs work and his fastball looked flat the one time i saw him

but boy does he have the potential to be special.

....has anyone followed him closely enough to comment on his development???????

starting to get a big of a fan boy crush here

havent taken the plunge yet, as his secondary stuff needs work and his fastball looked flat the one time i saw him

but boy does he have the potential to be special.

....has anyone followed him closely enough to comment on his development???????

I haven't watched much of him, but he must have some kind of sink or movement to his fastball.

46% GB rate ocming into tonight, and 12:6 GB:FB ratio for tonight's game.

That's definitely how he's succeeding, because I agree from what I've seen that his secondary pitches need work.

He's looked great tonight. He seems to have much more control with his secondary pitches when he is at home, for whatever reason. Maybe he just feels more comfortable at home, but whatever the reason, he has been dominant at Coors this year. 6 starts, 40 IP, 1.50 ERA, 27 SO. Where as on the road he has given up 18 ER in 18 IP, and the opposition is hitting .346 off of him.

Kind of crazy how two semi-similar pitchers in Nicasio and Jimenez can have such polar opposite splits home and away.

Scouting Nicasio for a 2-start week. Favorable matchups @LAD and @SD. His home/road split is scary though. Like the poster above mentioned, his road split is horrible but it doesn't really make sense. Probably just too small of a sample size. The GB tendencies are nice though.

Anyone see his start yesterday? Looked like he pitched OK but just couldn't avoid the big inning

I watched it, the kid has electric stuff, I'm talking fastball in the low to mid 90's with movement but it seems at times he just grooves the ball over the plate and guys like Ethier make him pay. He looked good striking out Matt Kemp on a fastball but then allowed Rivera to hit a line drive off of him in the next AB. I wouldn't hesitate to start him @ SD on Sunday, the K's might be piling up that day.

Archived