NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Need Help with Wade Being Ruled Out..

Okay guys so I'm in a bind...

Team is on the sig. I'm in a 10 man 9 cat league and with Wade being ruled out…AGAIN I need a replacement for my guard spot. They haven't made the announcement yet on rotoworld but Sports Center just announced it. I have Andre Iggy on my team so I can put him in the guard spot which is what I intend to do and I'll need a SF.

I have Beasely on my team but hes a GT Decision and who knows what his role will be once he returns. There are only two SF's on the waiver wire that I think would be worth the pick up. Those two are James Johnson and Ersan Ilayosova. Kleiza is there as well but I'm not sure what to think on him.

The person who I'm considering dropping is Brandon Bass. However, I'm in a close matchup this week and only winning 5-4. I could use Bass for his rebounds on Sunday so it would kind of suck to drop him. I also have Manu and the number 2 waiver…so I was thinking of just dropping Manu then snagging him using my waiver. The risk in that is obviously the guy with the 1st waiver may get him and it would kind of suck to lose the 2nd waiver for this. What would you guys do? Will respond to urs if you give link. Thanks.

Would you drop Beasley for Johnson? Is Beasley even going to start if he plays?

With regards to dropping Manu, you can't use your waiver to pick him back up if you were the one who originally dropped him. At least that is the rule in yahoo; I'm not sure how it is on other sites.

that is really tough dude. Linas got snagged in my league, and could be ok with Bargs out. Johnson is a defensive dude, so if you need those stats, he'd be good. dont ruin your team to win one category though. id suck it up and play beasely and hope for the best. then again, bass isnt anything special and johnson could be better than him if you want d stats. plus you could also grab a rebounder for sunday if you really need it.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/270396-conley-vs-gay/

Yeah I was thinking the value of Bass will go down and hes only a good play now b/c he is starting for the injured O'Neal. I could use the blocks and I'm only down 3...but the problem is I'm facing both Serge and javale mcgee. I could also use the steals...I'm down 7 so it is within reach. Haha it is pretty tough...still undecided so other opinions are welcomed.

I would drop Brandon Bass...he's a spot starter and/or should only be owned in deep leagues (14 teams).

Hamilton is SG/SF...should be anyway...I would move him to SF if you can find a SG like O.J. Mayo who is heating up (but not playing tonight).

If you kept Manu this long might as well keep him now...Brook Lopez is a guy that might be available who you should at least keep an eye out for...if you pick Lopez up, even though you don't need a Center...you could trade someone where there is a need.

Make sure you keep a good eye on Ronnie Brewer...but I would add Ersan Ilyasova from the Bucks...he's had 11 and 19 rebounds in his last two games respectively at about 28 minutes per game...where, with Bogut out his minutes and/or opportunities for Rebounds are bound to go up...Gooden is no Bogut...so a few of the rebounds that Gooden doesn't get to will go to Ersan the Man...common sense?....also keep an eye on Derrick Favors...he shouldn't be owned in a 10 team league with Utah's starters healthy...Al Jefferson is a game-time decision...odds are even if Jefferson plays his minutes might be reduced...Favors will start if Big Al is a no-go and will likely see more minutes. If Ersan is available...I think he's the safest play here... even with Bargnani out...who knows how many minutes Johnson will see...or any Raptor...tonight...Ersan is safest play...long term...Johnson is worth the add in case he will get some momentum...can get you a few rebounds, steals, blocks...go with your gut...but drop Brandon Bass...I do concur.

^ Hey man really appreciate the long insightful response. Sadly Brook Lopez was never dropped in this league. The owner has stuck with him through thick and thin. OJ Mayo was drafted and has been kept, and Ronnie Brewer was also drafted and kept (I'm from Chicago...lots of bulls fans here). Also Favors is not available. I swear this is like a 12 man league lol there really is slim pickings on the wavier wire. And Hamilton only is slotted @ SG not SF...atleast thats how it is on ESPN.

As for Manu I actually just picked him up a few days ago after a frustrated owner dropped him 2 weeks ago and was just sitting on the waivers ready to get snagged. I think i dont want to risk dropping him...plus i like this waiver slot.

As for Gooden I really liked what I saw from him when Bogut was out (I had him during that hot streak then dropped him once Bogut returned). He really only had one bad game out of the four starts he had. I'm going to ride out Gooden but I'm still thinking on whether or not to drop Bass for Johnson. I think I'm going to do it for Johnson but you made a good point about Sova. No ones made a move yet so I still have some time to think about it.

Ersan - 7.8 ppg, 7.4 rpg, .8 apg, 40.7% FG, 67.6% FT, 22.4 MPG

Kleiza - 7.4 ppg, 4.3 rpg, .7 apg, 37.5% FG, 90% FT, 17.6 MPG

Johnson - 6.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg, 39.8% FG, 66% FT, 24.8 MPG

Looking at the numbers, Johnson looks like the clear pickup. With Bargs out, both Kleiza's and Johnson's numbers should go up, and unless you really need FT%, take Johnson who sees more minutes, and should see more touches now.

Helpful stats above... I shouldn't have brought too many characters in to confuse you...now I'll get to the point... ;o) ...drop Bass for Johnson...especially with such a competitive league...and watch the other guys.

Johnson has the talent...the Raptors are getting used to their coach, probably much more than he his getting used to them...Casey is shaking up his roster...trying to teach "men" how to worry about defense first, and with Bargnani out and other injuries...they are still trying to find themselves...when Johnson finds himself he'll find himself on another guys fantasy team if you don't hurry...he has the most upside...13 blocks in his last 4 games...he's a SF/PF and gives you flexibility

he was picked up by a savvy owner in my league...I didn't pick him up because I'm stashing Lopez...and only need more depth/consistency at my PG/SG positions...otherwise I would have...I just wouldn't start him over Wallace and Gay on my team, so what would be the point

it's good that you have a competitive league...this is my first fantasy basketball season...have only played fantasy football before...but I read a lot and am catching up quickly... I don't have the basketball "gut" check that seasoned players might have...but I also don't have the bias that might be pushing someone to keep Brandon Bass...just saying he's backing up Garnett who is playing well... I don't think Bass will be picked up by others as there are plenty of Big Men injured in fantasy land and there should be a lot of movement...he might be picked up by Garnett's owner...

...bottom line...

you seem to want to keep Bass...and that's OK...he's not a chump...

...how's this?.... I'm assuming you can't play any new pick up tonight right?

Celtics play early tonight (compared to Toronto)...if O'Neal plays Bass will have reduced minutes...regardless, you can get a feel for the situation and how it might play out for Sunday's game...if no one has picked up Johnson yet...then they might not pick him up or they'll be watching the games like you will be tonight...lol... if they both have duds...you can pick up Ersan for tomorrow nights game...and then Johnson for Sunday's game...assuming you can use them both on Sat and Sun respectively... can't believe I'm over-analyzing a situation to which I clearly don't have enough info ...basically...there will be a few Brandon B(asses) on the waiver the rest of the year...not that I don't like Brandon Bass... your bias might be leading you astray... I think Manu is worth keeping...if you dump him and the waiver 1 guy takes him then he will be facing a similar dilemma that you are facing now, in the coming weeks... regardless, you have Manu... you can always use your waiver 2 for the next gem that comes along...OK, maybe not "gem" but how 'bout cubic zirconium??? ...anyway...a low waiver is valuable... I'll tell you...I wouldn't be wasting a waiver 2 right now on Brandon Bass???? would you??? not sure how the rest of the crowd feels in here...but in a competitive league...I suppose the waiver rank moves quickly... ...I picked up Manu thinking that if you can stay competitive and still make the playoffs he'll help you in those playoffs... well now is the time to put things into practice... you are in a competitive week..have a chance to win.... play to win the week... drop Brandon if it makes sense to do so to win the week...and don't look back...if you do drop him then don't look back...make the next big decision when it comes... you'll get some rebounds from SeaBass, Ersan, (or someone else), and Johnson (or someone else)...and you just might win the week which will help you make the playoffs ...then you can wrap Manu in some bubble wrap and he can help lead you to the championship...Good Luck!

fyi...you might as well keep Beasley on your roster now...not sure how long you've had him...and I realize you're in a competitive league...but if I owned him from the started I would have dumped him before he got hurt...and especially after he was hurt....and possibly picked him up before he came back...but...we'll see if he's had an attitude adjustment seeing all the unselfish plays of, say Ridnour and Rubio...but he's talented...he'll likely be the 6th man...might get traded to another team...if he has a couple of good games soon after he comes back (he might play tonight....but I'm calling it that he won't) then I'd consider selling him.

You have a good team...try your best to make a 2for1 upgrade...to leave a slot for some more waiver wire play...you have a few guys that you could probably line up...a PG and a C for a better PG or C?...maybe Bogut's or Horford's owner....who is looking for more depth...anyway...2for1's might not be easy but keep trying to get 'er done...just think when Manu comes back... you won't have to worry about this (there will be another injury for you to deal with)...lol...knock on wood!

^ Thanks again for the help man! Don't worry if you think its too long, I appreciate the time you're taking out to help me out here. You're my boy blue! hahaha.

But yeah I just dropped Bass and added Johnson. I like his upside too much (I agree with a lot of what ur saying). There are reports now that are saying that Wade might play so I might have to bench JJ anyway.

But yeah I drafted Beasley and I'm holding until he forces me to cut him. I'm hoping for a turnaround. As for Manu he is going nowhere. I feel I have a strong enough team to make the playoffs and having Manu in my back pocket will help me in the long run. I'm actually thinking of trying and trading for Rubio but I'm not sure who to offer...I mean hes playing good now but I don't want to give up to much for him.

Archived