NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Joyce 2012 Season Outlook

ssmarsh

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he's super underrated

Agreed I like this guy a lot. Gets really good wood on the ball, hits in a very good lineup in front of some very good hitters. He will have lots of statistical opportunities this year.

Odds he plays tonight against lefty ?

I was wondering the same thing but he's 2/3 against Holland, super small sample size. But he still might sit, I hope Maddon goes with him tonight.

I have to say, Joyce is very underrated, even on my own team. I've missed so many of his good nights already cause I started someone else over him.

the rays have officially signed matsui. matsui has hit lefties fairly well throughout his career. therefore, i gather that he will see a lot of AB's at the DH position (over luke scott). i'm concerned that this has decreased joyce's value (ros) as it probably decreases the likelihood of him seeing AB's at DH.

the rays have officially signed matsui. matsui has hit lefties fairly well throughout his career. therefore, i gather that he will see a lot of AB's at the DH position (over luke scott). i'm concerned that this has decreased joyce's value (ros) as it probably decreases the likelihood of him seeing AB's at DH.

Im not sure how many games he will play against lefties, if Maddon sat him last night in a big game at Texas I'm not too sure how confident he is in Joyce's ability to hit lefties. Holland has actually been worse this year against lefties but a very small sample size.

Im not sure how many games he will play against lefties, if Maddon sat him last night in a big game at Texas I'm not too sure how confident he is in Joyce's ability to hit lefties. Holland has actually been worse this year against lefties but a very small sample size.

my hope was that luke scott would be shown to be an incompetent DH vs. LHP's. therefore, maddon would start to give joyce a shot at playing in those games. the matsui signing seems to crush that hope :(

my hope was that luke scott would be shown to be an incompetent DH vs. LHP's. therefore, maddon would start to give joyce a shot at playing in those games. the matsui signing seems to crush that hope :(

Why would you guys want Joyce to start v lefties? I don't get it I am happy to not have an 0-4 in my lineup, even if he might occasionally get a R/RBI.

Why would you guys want Joyce to start v lefties? I don't get it I am happy to not have an 0-4 in my lineup, even if he might occasionally get a R/RBI.

i was hoping for an improvement over his past performance vs. LHP. moreover, in h2h leagues i can use the other counting stats- runs, homeruns, rbi's, walks, etc.

Matsui should change nothing on how you manage Matt Joyce on your roster. Joyce is an incredibly productive player in FBB when used correctly.

Matt Joyce owner guide - play him Vs all RHP, bench him Vs all LHP. He will continue to play everyday Vs RHP - move changes nothing.

Here's my question with this guy, and full disclosure: I own him nowhere, yet I'm intrigued.

Approximately how many ABs can you reasonably project when you're sitting vs all LHP starters?

Just looking through the AL East:

Yankees - 1 of 5 starters (CC Sabathia - though if Pettitte comes back you're at 2 of 5)

Sox - 2 of 5 starters (Lester, Doubront)

O's - 2 of 5 starters (Matusz, Chen)

Jays - 1 of 5 starters (Romero)

So in his own division, 6 of 20 (7 of 20 with Pettitte) opposing starters are lefties, meaning if we assume they continue to platoon - no reason to assume they won't - Joyce is going to not start about 30% of games within his division.

Taking it to AL Wide:

Tigers - 2 of 5 (Smyly, Below)

White Sox - 2 of 5 (Danks, Sale)

Indians - 0 of 5

Royals - 3 of 5 (Chen, Sanchez, Duffy)

Twins - 1 of 5 (Liriano)

Angels - 1 of 5 (Wilson)

Rangers - 2 0f 5 (Harrison, Holland)

A's - 1 of 5 (Milone)

Mariners - 1 of 5 (Vargas)

TOTAL AL: 19 of 65 (20 of 65 with Pettitte) -- so we can reasonably assume Joyce isn't starting in 30% of his games, not counting inter-league which, without the DH can cause everyone to miss ABs.

Regardless, if we assume 600 ABs is a full-time player, Joyce is looking at 420... right? That's my only knock on the guy... and I have no desire to roster Keppinger for those off days...

Archived