NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Joyce 2012 Season Outlook

ssmarsh

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about using a waiver claim on him...he was just dumped. I have lots of platoon-type OFs (DeAza, Swisher, Dirks, Maybin) so I usually can get a good matchup. Adding Joyce to the mix can only help.

Who in there right mind would drop him? He is 7th in the AL in OBP, and 8th in OPS. The guy is having a legit year with good counting stats.

Thinking about using a waiver claim on him...he was just dumped. I have lots of platoon-type OFs (DeAza, Swisher, Dirks, Maybin) so I usually can get a good matchup. Adding Joyce to the mix can only help.

Who in there right mind would drop him? He is 7th in the AL in OBP, and 8th in OPS. The guy is having a legit year with good counting stats.

It would take a mighty shallow league to legitimately drop the guy. I did just trade him (straight up for Matt Cain), but he was a solid OF, although it pays to platoon him (sit vs. LHP, much as he does in actuality).

Split on whether or not to start him against Lester, he is batting just .216 against lefties with 1 Hr 6 RBI and he just went 0fer in the toronto series albeit 4 walks mixed in but still.

Got Joyce earlier in the year for Capuano so far i've loved him even though Cap has been a stud this year.

Can we end the sitting vs. lefties? 2 for 2 tonight. Has like a .360 OBP vs. lefties, he hits lefties MUCH better than s---y Luke Scott. Enough kids glove treatment, give him a full season of playing EVERYDAY and see what the guy can freakin' do!

Can we end the sitting vs. lefties? 2 for 2 tonight. Has like a .360 OBP vs. lefties, he hits lefties MUCH better than s---y Luke Scott. Enough kids glove treatment, give him a full season of playing EVERYDAY and see what the guy can freakin' do!

he's got a .638 ops vs lefties this year

Yeah entering today in 37 AB's. Meaning with todays 5 total bases in 2 AB's that OPS is probably up what 300 points?

His OBP was .340, he is still working counts and getting on base. Its hard to hit southpaws effectively if you play vs. one and then sit 3, then play vs. one and sit 3. His OBP is great now vs. lefties and hsi OPS just went up significantly given the low sample size. I am not claiming this guy is going to be great vs. lefties, but he is WAY better than Scott vs. them.

Yeah entering today in 37 AB's. Meaning with todays 5 total bases in 2 AB's that OPS is probably up what 300 points?

So you're saying sss?

Ok, how about I take his career splits vs lefties?

I don't get it.

Just because he's hit a HR vs a lefty doesn't mean he's suddenly not a platoon player.

His OBP was .340, he is still working counts and getting on base. Its hard to hit southpaws effectively if you play vs. one and then sit 3, then play vs. one and sit 3. His OBP is great now vs. lefties and hsi OPS just went up significantly given the low sample size. I am not claiming this guy is going to be great vs. lefties, but he is WAY better than Scott vs. them.

Coming into this season

stats vs lefties 2009-2011

Luke Scott: 312 plate appearances, .812 ops

Matt Joyce: 133 PAs, .578 ops

Coming into this season

stats vs lefties 2009-2011

Luke Scott: 312 plate appearances, .812 ops

Matt Joyce: 133 PAs, .578 ops

Luke Scott this year vs. LHP: .173 average, .542 OPS (not counting his current 0 for 3 tonight).

Luke Scott last year vs. LHP . .167 average, .781 OPS (had some HR's vs. them).

He has had some decent slugging vs. lefties last year but is hitting about .170 vs. them over his past 100 at bats. Scott is 33. Joyce is in his prime. His development in terms of becoming a great overall player should be at the top of the organizational totem pole. He has a lot of potential, and 133 at bats is a ridiculously low sample size to just lump someone into a platoon player category. I don't think you ever get full potential out of a player unless you let them sink or swim in everyday at bats. Not to mention who are they going to platoon him with that is even adequate?????

So you're saying sss?

Ok, how about I take his career splits vs lefties?

I don't get it.

Just because he's hit a HR vs a lefty doesn't mean he's suddenly not a platoon player.

I am saying that .638 OPS is meaningless, and that is what you posted. As is his OPS after the homer, that just illustrates the point that its useless because it can go up by a huge amount because of, as you said, one home run.

anyone own this guy? im discussing a trade with him involved and dont know much about him

I own him. Good OPS season, draws a lot of walks. Decent power though I would only count on a finish of 25 (not bad) HR on the season. Not a very good play vs. LHP but very strong against RHP. IMO better to own right now until Longo gets back b/c when he's in the lineup he hits 3rd.

He is one of the most underrated players in the game. He went through the Joe Madden school of patient hitting and now has graduated with an A in the course. He is quietly having a .400+ OBP. On base all 3 times again today. Hits in the middle of a great lineup that is about to get even better with Jennings back, and Longo probably 3-4 weeks away too. Will be on base a lot, and have guys on base a lot that is the formula for having great counting stats. If he can continue making strides vs. left handed pitching that is the next level of tier he can breakthrough. Right now if he stays as getting inconsistent PT vs. lefties he is probably 22-30th ranked OF going into next season.

So now Matsui gets to play vs. LHP and Joyce does not? Is anyone not noticing this guy has been hitting left hand pitchin extremely well lately? Up to .277 with an .808 OPS vs. left hand pitching? Let the man bust out Joe, he has been handling lefties very well this season. ENOUGH Rich Thompson, Luke Scott and Hideki Matsui vs. lefties and this guy has to sit out.

Joyce, who missed Saturday's game because of an illness, was seen leaving the field with his right wrist wrapped in a bandage, the Tampa Bay Tribune reports.

Recommendation: It is unclear at this point if his absence had to do with the wrist or if the ailment is serious. Stay tuned for an update on the situation.

(Rotowire.com)

Out again tonight after they have kept this supposed wrist injury completely hush hush. They have said he is going to play versus lefties more and they have Matsui and Scott in there so its doubtful that is it. What is the deal here...

Out again tonight after they have kept this supposed wrist injury completely hush hush. They have said he is going to play versus lefties more and they have Matsui and Scott in there so its doubtful that is it. What is the deal here...

I agree. This guy has been very good against LHP and is having a great year and they start the old man Matsui ahead of him??? Come on Maddon, you're better than that!!!

You'd think this has to be a situation where they want him to rest the wrist. Scott is 2-12 and Matsui is 1-6 combined 3-18 with 7 K's and one double vs Pettite in their careers.

2 for 2 2 more walks, 2B, HR. This guy is quietly turning into an elite player and no really knows who appreciates him. His OBP is one of the best in the league. The guy has ELITE plate discipline now, seems like he always finds a way to work himself into a hitters count.

Archived