NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Joyce 2012 Season Outlook

ssmarsh

Who's got the goods? He was supposed to see a doctor yesterday I read. Any Rays insiders out there?

I'm assuming it went well because today's daily dose stated he could be in the lineup tomorrow, but definitely by Monday.

Apparently they change their mind...not Joyce is saying he should be back sometime "within 2 weeks" per Rotoworld main page. Oh well, hopefully he comes back healthy and ready to go.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just making it official with a source:

Matt Joyce (oblique, back) said Thursday that he's aiming to return "within two weeks."

There was some hope that Joyce might be ready for activation right after the All-Star break, but he's not quite there. The 27-year-old has been sidelined since June 20. Jul 12 - 4:05 PM

Source: Marc Topkin on Twitter

Why didn't I just drop this guy the moment he got hurt? Story of the season, guys get hurt with day to day injuries and end up missing 2 months.

No kidding, as if losing Tulo wasn't bad enough to a set back during rehab, I now lose Joyce for an extra THREE weeks after he gets hurt on a rehab assignment. Its now at the point where I dread that my guys go on rehab assignments of fear they get re-injured. Sad state of baseball we are in. Bring back roids. At least fans got to see there favorite players play consistently.

Joyce absolutely mauls righties, right, but does Maddon just play him vs righties or does he start most games regardless? haven't owned any Rays last 2 years so haven't paid much attention to how Maddon uses him-- looked up career numbers and careerwise vs righties he's put up something sick like 50 HRs in 950 ABs, unreal for what's pretty much a year and a half of ABs, so even if platooned could be worth the pickup, just don't know how Maddon uses the guy.

Joyce has been doing better or was doing better against lefties this year .259 avg of lefites .287 of righties they need his offense so I assume unless its a tough lefty match up he'll be in there. He mashed early in the year so hoping he picks it up right where he left off, he is definitely worth rostering.

Joyce has been doing better or was doing better against lefties this year .259 avg of lefites .287 of righties they need his offense so I assume unless its a tough lefty match up he'll be in there. He mashed early in the year so hoping he picks it up right where he left off, he is definitely worth rostering.

Okay, thanks, could really use a boost to power numbers so seriously thinking of adding MJ, good to know he can now at least survive against non-super lefties.

1-1 1B BB and 2SB today so far, good to see him back and the speed boost is rare but nice one was backend of double steal but nonetheless goes down in stat sheet as SB.

This guy is undervalued highly in my mind.

That lineup has been pretty boring lately. Just not making many statistical opportunities. But that injury probably wrecked him. I have given up relying on him in my lineup until Longoria gets back. I think that lineup will slot a lot better when he returns.

scott pianowski valued him at $2 in his most recent shuffle up. that puts him behind the fearsome trio of casper wells, michael saunders, and mike carp. i realize that joyce has fallen off a cliff since his injury, but there's no way that he- with his strong OB skills, plus pop, and solid lineup- should be ranked behind ANY positional player on the mariners (except perhaps montero).

scott pianowski valued him at $2 in his most recent shuffle up. that puts him behind the fearsome trio of casper wells, michael saunders, and mike carp. i realize that joyce has fallen off a cliff since his injury, but there's no way that he- with his strong OB skills, plus pop, and solid lineup- should be ranked behind ANY positional player on the mariners (except perhaps montero).

Yeah, Piano man clearly going with the what have you done for me lately mantra, totally ignoring a players actual skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived