NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Inge 2012 season outlook

ssmarsh

If hes going to win the 2B job in Detroit, hes going to have to hit, something hes proven over his career is not in his wheel house. I see them playing up Inge's ability in hopes of being able to trade him. Hes a nice guy (by most accounts) but his impact on the Tigers team is overrated, hes been there a long time and he was a great defender for a few years and had one solid production year at the plate, other than that hes been a terrible offensive player and his defense has started to slip in the last several years, without elite defense hes not an everyday player anymore.

I would hesitate to use him even in an AL only league to be honest.

I dont get the infatuation, with him by the media and fans either. Ive actually heard peopled put him on a level with Steve Yzerman as far as Detroit sports and that makes me sick...

He's a fan favorite because he's a guy who has maximized his ability. He's listed at 5'11", but that is extremely generous, IMO. He's closer to 5'9" than 5'11". Anytime you see a guy with his body type slug 27 HRs (twice) in a pretty big park you're going to be impressed.

He's also been a good soldier with the Tigers' organization. When they asked him to put on the gear, he did it. When they asked him to play in the outfield, he did it. Now, they're asking him to be a middle infielder while he's in his mid-thirties.

Not only was he a plus defender at 3B, but he definitely should have won at least 1 Gold Glove there. I've watched the AL Central my whole life, and it's a crying shame that Inge and Joe Crede never won a GG. Were they the best hitters in the world? No, but that shouldn't have factored into the GG voting.

He's a fan favorite because he's a guy who has maximized his ability. He's listed at 5'11", but that is extremely generous, IMO. He's closer to 5'9" than 5'11". Anytime you see a guy with his body type slug 27 HRs (twice) in a pretty big park you're going to be impressed.

He's also been a good soldier with the Tigers' organization. When they asked him to put on the gear, he did it. When they asked him to play in the outfield, he did it. Now, they're asking him to be a middle infielder while he's in his mid-thirties.

Not only was he a plus defender at 3B, but he definitely should have won at least 1 Gold Glove there. I've watched the AL Central my whole life, and it's a crying shame that Inge and Joe Crede never won a GG. Were they the best hitters in the world? No, but that shouldn't have factored into the GG voting.

Id agree its a shame he never won a gold glove as he had some truly elite years that went under appreciated on the national level. He certainly did maximize his ability but even when he did that, he was still a player with some serious offensive shortcomings, those 27HR seasons he contributed little else in terms of avg, OBP etc and killed plenty of rallies with his high K rate, AVG and OBP never been his things and short of those seasons with some pop in his bat hes been a liability on offense. I can appreciate how he played the good soldier but it appears now that his time has clearly passed and his window in Detroit is closed. The best thing the Tigers can do is hype his value and see if they can find a team willing to start him at 3B via trade, if not I think hed be a great guy to transition to a front office type role or to get involved coaching at the minor league level. But barring those things, hes an overpaid utility guy on that team now and one that wants to be starting.

If he wins the 2B job in Detroit, what's his value in AL only?

Zero.

Hasn't hit above .250 since 2006. Was sent to AAA last summer. Unless your league counts check-swing strikeouts as a category, don't even say a $1 on this hack.

This guy. As a Tribe fan living in MI, I've never understood him. I get the good soldier things said above, and thats not without some value, but the supposed elite defense he once possessed was always so overstated. Sure he made some highlights, but it was like unless he had to dive all over the place he wasnt focused. For an elite defender, he sure has made a ton of routine play errors

• 1 month later...

He's only playing well against his former team, when they stop playing the tigers he will go back to being himself.

If by his former team you mean Tampa and Toronto then you have an excellent point.

I'd pass on Inge in everything but deep leagues. As bad as he's expected to be, that's still an upgrade for Oakland and he'll get regular playing time. He still has some pop in his bat.

If by his former team you mean Tampa and Toronto then you have an excellent point.

I'd pass on Inge in everything but deep leagues. As bad as he's expected to be, that's still an upgrade for Oakland and he'll get regular playing time. He still has some pop in his bat.

I wasn't aware Inge played for Tampa or Toronto? I meant the Tigers only

I wasn't aware Inge played for Tampa or Toronto? I meant the Tigers only

That was my nice way of saying you were wrong when you said he's only doing it against Detroit. Though I agree I'd pass on the guy, he hit bombs against those clubs as well.

That was my nice way of saying you were wrong when you said he's only doing it against Detroit. Though I agree I'd pass on the guy, he hit bombs against those clubs as well.

My bad, guess I haven't followed closely. Looked at his career stats and even the 2 yearshe had 27 bombs he had an OPS below .800

• 1 month later...

Guy looks more relaxed. Huge mistake IMO by the Tigers to get rid of him, but the fanbase was turning on him. They let him get all the way through the spring and start the season, then dump him when the whole team isn't hitting for crap. Raburn was hitting nearly as poorly at the time as he was. I get the money issue, but at the time there was 3-4 guys hitting just as awful.

Archived