NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brandon Inge 2012 season outlook

ssmarsh

Guy looks more relaxed. Huge mistake IMO by the Tigers to get rid of him, but the fanbase was turning on him. They let him get all the way through the spring and start the season, then dump him when the whole team isn't hitting for crap. Raburn was hitting nearly as poorly at the time as he was. I get the money issue, but at the time there was 3-4 guys hitting just as awful.

LOL

INGE SUCKS

PLAIN

AND

SIMPLE

Yea, just because hes hot now doesnt mean the Tigers made a mistake... was horrible this yr, horrible last yr, horrible the yr before

i suppose he was good the year they went to the WS

Guy looks more relaxed. Huge mistake IMO by the Tigers to get rid of him, but the fanbase was turning on him. They let him get all the way through the spring and start the season, then dump him when the whole team isn't hitting for crap. Raburn was hitting nearly as poorly at the time as he was. I get the money issue, but at the time there was 3-4 guys hitting just as awful.

LOL

INGE SUCKS

PLAIN

AND

SIMPLE

Mistake in that you get rid of the guy when everyone else is sucking it up. Put the blame on him, and yet the Tigers aren't doing any better. They should have got rid of him BEFORE the season. Then they let him hang around, try to put him at second, and screw around figuring out their infield.

I've always said if Inge can hit around .250 with decent power, I'd be happy. He is doing that right now. Something in his swing is fixed as well. Or his head, I really don't care which.

I don't even know why I bothered to reply to a response like that.

He is who he is and this isnt it, sorry. Tigers made the right call. Hes an aging players whos defense has been on the decline for years with no bat. Hes looked good so far, but theres a huge body of work backing up his deficiency at the plate. Id rather see Ramon Santiago / Don Kelly play 2B than Inge. Hes been a nice story for Oakland and hes had some timely hits, but thats it, everyone knows the player he is. I fully agree the Tigers should have cut bait with this guy before the season, or traded him while taking on some of his salary (as theyre paying him now anyway). Would have been nice to see them get something back.

He is who he is and this isnt it, sorry. Tigers made the right call. Hes an aging players whos defense has been on the decline for years with no bat. Hes looked good so far, but theres a huge body of work backing up his deficiency at the plate. Id rather see Ramon Santiago / Don Kelly play 2B than Inge. Hes been a nice story for Oakland and hes had some timely hits, but thats it, everyone knows the player he is. I fully agree the Tigers should have cut bait with this guy before the season, or traded him while taking on some of his salary (as theyre paying him now anyway). Would have been nice to see them get something back.

I'm confused by this type of comment. Wasn't it just 2009 when Inge hit 27 HR's? In 2010 he still hit 13 HR's, knocked in 70 RBI's, and hit .247. Since 2004, the ONLY year the guy hasn't hit at least 11 HR's, was last year. The only years he didn't have at least 70 RBI's since 2004, were 2008 and 2011 (arguably his two worst years, obviously 2011 was the worst).

People act as if he is has been in free fall for years, but he is a career .235 hitter. His triple splits are .235/.305/.390 for his career. The ONLY year since 2004 his average was below 200? 2011, .197. The ONLY year since 2004 his OBP was below 300? 2011, .265. His lowest slugging percentage since 2001, was in 2011. It was .107 off his career average. He hasn't had a slugging percentage since 2004 lower than .369, until 2011.

You would rather have Don Kelly playing 2nd? 32 year old Don Kelly? The guy with triple splits of .233/.284/.346, for his career? The guy currently hitting .179 this season? The guy with 1 HR and 7 RBI's to Inge's 7 HR's, and 31 RBI's?

Or why not Ramon Santiago? He is ......32 years old. At least his average will be better than Kelly ri....oh. He is batting .208 this year. HIs triple spits are .208/.286/.302 for this season. He has 2 HR's, and 13 RBI's.

Or maybe Ryan Raburn, who is 31 years old. (Wow, didn't know that one. Of course mentally I've had him as 27 for about 5 years now.) Naw, I'm not gonna bother with his stats because he has been putrid.

I'm not a big Inge guy, but the guy seemed to get a lot of unwarranted vitriol (even in this thread) when he has been a pretty consistent player throughout his career. He had one down year, and people rip him to shreads. Yet, a guy like Ordonez didn't seem to get the same type of anger. He went from a 24.3 HR average, and 115.3 RBI's a season from 2006-2008. To a guy who averaged 8.6 HR's and 47 RBI's per season from 2009-2011.

Will Inge keep up his torrid pace? Very unlikely. Let's say he can keep healthy, and falls off a bit. If he hits just 8 HR's the rest of the year, and knocks in 40 RBI's from now, that will give him 15 HR's and 71 RBI's. I'd be pretty content with that coupled with a .230 average.

Inge is, who he is. For some reason Tigers fans ACT like he is Gerald Laird, and HATE him because he isn't Miguel Cabrera.

You really want a guy that bats .235/.305/.390 for his career (thats atrocious by the way), more power to you. A guy like that, even when hitting 27HR is not an asset as he does not get on base and strikes out a ton (170K that year with a .313 OBP and a 3/1 K/BB rate for his career) and I would argue the opposite of you, he only had two good years (2006 and 2009) the rest by and large were poor seasons. Its not Adam Dunn we're talking about here with a bad average but a great OBP, hes got poor contact skills, poor plate discipline and overall is not a good offensive player. You do realize the bench marks you set, of only having an OBP lower than .300 once and never having a slugging percentage lower than .369 are awful right? Those arent things that buoy him as a player in any way and a transition to a new position at his age wasnt the answer either. I dislike him because of his poor bat and eroding defense, I dislike him because he was not a consummate team guy when sent down last year (even though he deserved to be cut), I dislike him because he complained about losing the 3B job to Cabrera this year.

Id rather have a cheaper version of the same crappy offensive player is what it comes down to. He had a nice run as a Tiger, but a lot of people treated him with far too much reverence, like he was the reason the Tigers started winning. Hell, I heard people say he was the Steve Yzerman of the Tigers, which made me want to hit them in the face. Inge was a nice complimentary player, he was a great defensive 3B but hes not someone that the Tigers should or will regret trading. Raburn was a guy the Tigers really liked coming into the year, hes a guy they had faith in and they made the move as Inge was not in any way going to be part of the Tigers future. Im happy hes found a landing spot in Oakland (he looks great in the A's unis as well) but at no point would I vilify the Tigers for getting rid of him or cry over his loss.

The fact is there are far bigger problems in Detroit then letting Inge go mainly counting on career year repeats from Avila and Peralta and putting all the eggs in one basket that Boesch and Raburn could put together full years (bad bet by Domborwski in hindsight), that Delmon Young would realize his potential (another bad bet so far) and that Porcello and Scherzer would develop consistency as the 3/4 pitchers for the Tigers. None of these things have worked out and Brandon Inges presence wasnt going to change that.

I hope he keeps it up for his sake, other than a couple incidents of whining he seemed like a good guy (though thats not the word locally here in some regards) and definitely was a hard worker. In the end he was completely expendable as a Tiger as there were other options that Dombrowski and Leyland had faith in (misguided or not, hindsight is 20/20), if you want to criticize that, fine, but lets not hold Inge up as some bastion of strength for the Tigers. I firmly believe there was a falling out between Inge and Leyland as well which led to the ultimate decision to let him go, whether that ever becomes proven, who knows. He was consistent, but consistently mediocre at the plate was the best he ever was. I will argue that Dombrowski has done a poor job managing the Tigers minor league system as they are relying on older journeymen type players with little youth of merit in their minor league program that is no where more evident than the current hole at 2B, I think we are in agreement on that.

In the end he was and is a lightning rod of a player, that much is for certain, there was huge portion of Detroit fans that loved the guy, and a much smaller yet vocal minority that wanted him gone, even before this year. Hopefully, like I said he serves Oakland well but he wasnt the answer to the Tigers problems and he wasnt a part of the future, that type of combination along with middling production is what gets players cut. Its a pretty straight forward equation.

p.s.

Lairds triple slash .243/.303/.360. Inge .235/.305/.390 both with bad K/BB. They really arent that different of a player, one has just had far more opportunity for production than the other(Laird 2073 AB, Inge 4720 AB). Dont get me wrong though, Laird sucks at the plate too,

I'm confused by this type of comment. Wasn't it just 2009 when Inge hit 27 HR's? In 2010 he still hit 13 HR's, knocked in 70 RBI's, and hit .247. Since 2004, the ONLY year the guy hasn't hit at least 11 HR's, was last year. The only years he didn't have at least 70 RBI's since 2004, were 2008 and 2011 (arguably his two worst years, obviously 2011 was the worst).

People act as if he is has been in free fall for years, but he is a career .235 hitter. His triple splits are .235/.305/.390 for his career. The ONLY year since 2004 his average was below 200? 2011, .197. The ONLY year since 2004 his OBP was below 300? 2011, .265. His lowest slugging percentage since 2001, was in 2011. It was .107 off his career average. He hasn't had a slugging percentage since 2004 lower than .369, until 2011.

You would rather have Don Kelly playing 2nd? 32 year old Don Kelly? The guy with triple splits of .233/.284/.346, for his career? The guy currently hitting .179 this season? The guy with 1 HR and 7 RBI's to Inge's 7 HR's, and 31 RBI's?

Or why not Ramon Santiago? He is ......32 years old. At least his average will be better than Kelly ri....oh. He is batting .208 this year. HIs triple spits are .208/.286/.302 for this season. He has 2 HR's, and 13 RBI's.

Or maybe Ryan Raburn, who is 31 years old. (Wow, didn't know that one. Of course mentally I've had him as 27 for about 5 years now.) Naw, I'm not gonna bother with his stats because he has been putrid.

I'm not a big Inge guy, but the guy seemed to get a lot of unwarranted vitriol (even in this thread) when he has been a pretty consistent player throughout his career. He had one down year, and people rip him to shreads. Yet, a guy like Ordonez didn't seem to get the same type of anger. He went from a 24.3 HR average, and 115.3 RBI's a season from 2006-2008. To a guy who averaged 8.6 HR's and 47 RBI's per season from 2009-2011.

Will Inge keep up his torrid pace? Very unlikely. Let's say he can keep healthy, and falls off a bit. If he hits just 8 HR's the rest of the year, and knocks in 40 RBI's from now, that will give him 15 HR's and 71 RBI's. I'd be pretty content with that coupled with a .230 average.

Inge is, who he is. For some reason Tigers fans ACT like he is Gerald Laird, and HATE him because he isn't Miguel Cabrera.

I don't think Tigers fans are hating him man. I guess I do think he's just a hair above Gerald Laird, but that's just because he has fallen off a bit. He's in the waning stages of his career and it's expected, but I don't hate him for it. I'm glad they got rid of him too, but I'm also glad of his services.. Honestly Inge is well respected in Detroit, it's just a truth all Tigers fans had to face; It was time to let him go.

We have some real crappy options tho I agree. Don Kelly, Santiago, Ryan Raburn.. I mean, yuck... Yuck, especially when we have to bat all 3 in a lineup.

I like the Prince signing personally, but this was going to be the problem relying on these sub-par players. Last season the Tigers had very timely hitting, and Avila and Boesch played a lot better as well.. I think we need more out of Fielder, but he's adjusting like anyone needs to.

You really want a guy that bats .235/.305/.390 for his career (thats atrocious by the way), more power to you. A guy like that, even when hitting 27HR is not an asset as he does not get on base and strikes out a ton (170K that year with a .313 OBP and a 3/1 K/BB rate for his career) and I would argue the opposite of you, he only had two good years (2006 and 2009) the rest by and large were poor seasons. Its not Adam Dunn we're talking about here with a bad average but a great OBP, hes got poor contact skills, poor plate discipline and overall is not a good offensive player. You do realize the bench marks you set, of only having an OBP lower than .300 once and never having a slugging percentage lower than .369 are awful right? Those arent things that buoy him as a player in any way and a transition to a new position at his age wasnt the answer either. I dislike him because of his poor bat and eroding defense, I dislike him because he was not a consummate team guy when sent down last year (even though he deserved to be cut), I dislike him because he complained about losing the 3B job to Cabrera this year.

Id rather have a cheaper version of the same crappy offensive player is what it comes down to. He had a nice run as a Tiger, but a lot of people treated him with far too much reverence, like he was the reason the Tigers started winning. Hell, I heard people say he was the Steve Yzerman of the Tigers, which made me want to hit them in the face. Inge was a nice complimentary player, he was a great defensive 3B but hes not someone that the Tigers should or will regret trading. Raburn was a guy the Tigers really liked coming into the year, hes a guy they had faith in and they made the move as Inge was not in any way going to be part of the Tigers future. Im happy hes found a landing spot in Oakland (he looks great in the A's unis as well) but at no point would I vilify the Tigers for getting rid of him or cry over his loss.

The fact is there are far bigger problems in Detroit then letting Inge go mainly counting on career year repeats from Avila and Peralta and putting all the eggs in one basket that Boesch and Raburn could put together full years (bad bet by Domborwski in hindsight), that Delmon Young would realize his potential (another bad bet so far) and that Porcello and Scherzer would develop consistency as the 3/4 pitchers for the Tigers. None of these things have worked out and Brandon Inges presence wasnt going to change that.

I hope he keeps it up for his sake, other than a couple incidents of whining he seemed like a good guy (though thats not the word locally here in some regards) and definitely was a hard worker. In the end he was completely expendable as a Tiger as there were other options that Dombrowski and Leyland had faith in (misguided or not, hindsight is 20/20), if you want to criticize that, fine, but lets not hold Inge up as some bastion of strength for the Tigers. I firmly believe there was a falling out between Inge and Leyland as well which led to the ultimate decision to let him go, whether that ever becomes proven, who knows. He was consistent, but consistently mediocre at the plate was the best he ever was. I will argue that Dombrowski has done a poor job managing the Tigers minor league system as they are relying on older journeymen type players with little youth of merit in their minor league program that is no where more evident than the current hole at 2B, I think we are in agreement on that.

In the end he was and is a lightning rod of a player, that much is for certain, there was huge portion of Detroit fans that loved the guy, and a much smaller yet vocal minority that wanted him gone, even before this year. Hopefully, like I said he serves Oakland well but he wasnt the answer to the Tigers problems and he wasnt a part of the future, that type of combination along with middling production is what gets players cut. Its a pretty straight forward equation.

p.s.

Lairds triple slash .243/.303/.360. Inge .235/.305/.390 both with bad K/BB. They really arent that different of a player, one has just had far more opportunity for production than the other(Laird 2073 AB, Inge 4720 AB). Dont get me wrong though, Laird sucks at the plate too,

I think we are agreeing but talking past each other. I may have been unclear. The point I was driving at was not that Inge was a GOOD option on offense, but that other than last year, he is the same player they have had since he came up.

I'm not saying Inge's numbers are impressive by any stretch of the imagination, but letting a guy go for a bunch of scrubs who are nearly as old as him is certainly a baffling move. This may be inaccurate, but don't the Tigers also have to eat the rest of his contract as well?

My main points were,

1) Inge had one bad year, otherwise he is the same guy of the past few years.

2) That doesn't mean that I believe his numbers were GOOD, but if you could tolerate his numbers before, well there really was no reason to make a big deal of it now.

3) They got rid of him with NO one behind him. No hot prospect. A bunch of old guys who aren't very good themselves.

4) The timing was bad. If he was holding the team back, I understand. He wasn't. The team was sucking as a whole.

5) They still have to pay him right?

On a side note, what does that mean for Nick Castellanos? I believe he is their best prospect, and he does play 3B. With Cabrera there, what happens to him? If he had replaced Inge, I'd be all for it, but with the Fielder signing I think he will have to change positions.

Oh and come on with Laird. :P

I think we are agreeing but talking past each other. I may have been unclear. The point I was driving at was not that Inge was a GOOD option on offense, but that other than last year, he is the same player they have had since he came up.

I'm not saying Inge's numbers are impressive by any stretch of the imagination, but letting a guy go for a bunch of scrubs who are nearly as old as him is certainly a baffling move. This may be inaccurate, but don't the Tigers also have to eat the rest of his contract as well?

My main points were,

1) Inge had one bad year, otherwise he is the same guy of the past few years.

2) That doesn't mean that I believe his numbers were GOOD, but if you could tolerate his numbers before, well there really was no reason to make a big deal of it now.

3) They got rid of him with NO one behind him. No hot prospect. A bunch of old guys who aren't very good themselves.

4) The timing was bad. If he was holding the team back, I understand. He wasn't. The team was sucking as a whole.

5) They still have to pay him right?

On a side note, what does that mean for Nick Castellanos? I believe he is their best prospect, and he does play 3B. With Cabrera there, what happens to him? If he had replaced Inge, I'd be all for it, but with the Fielder signing I think he will have to change positions.

Oh and come on with Laird. :P

1. He had one bad year by his standard, I will agree to that, by MLB standards he had multiple bad years. Thats an issue of semantics though.

2. I was personally one of the Tigers fans that wasnt very tolerable of his offensive numbers, certainly not once his defense started to slip from "elite" to "very good" to "good" which has been the progression.

3. Getting rid of him with no one behind him is a hindsight look at it. For some reason Dombrowski and company were very comfortable with Raburn and to a lesser extent Santiago and Kelly coming into the year. I cant explain why as they are marginal talents at best but for some reason the organization didnt view the hole behind him in such a glaring way as it has been revealed.

4. Timing was poor, that was a move that should have been made before the first game, before the DL stint, before the brief showing at the MLB level.

5. They do still have to pay him. Couple that with the lack of depth and I really think that he became a clubhouse issue. He was not happy losing the 3B job because of the Fielder signing, he was pretty open with that and Leyland was pretty open with the fact that Inge needed to fall in line and be a good soldier. My suspicion is that he did not do that, couple that with his salary and no where to play him and you had the perfect storm for cutting him loose (thought it should have happened sooner).

Regarding Nick Castellanos, I dont know what it means. As far as I know he is still playing 2B and all reports say that he wont be ready until some time in 2013, so hes no fix for the present and unless they do make a position change it seems like he wont have a spot to play even in 2013.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

he has been hitting now

The sun shines on every dogs nuts every now and then. Hes batting sub .200 for the last month, with 3HR going into tonight with 28K in 89AB.

I know he is not much of a hitter but for a couple power surges. I pretty much meant maybe ride him until he goes back to himself.

Perhaps, but even in an AL only league I cant see him having fantasy value. Far too inconsistent and prone to suckage.

He's mashing the ball right now. Hard to ignore.

He's still hitting .196 post ASB with a 13:0 K:BB ratio. I find him incredibly easy to ignore.

So does the population at large. 3% owned in Yahoo! Even on the FA list in the incredibly deep 12 teamer I play in. He'll run into one every now and then, but by and large his skill set precludes him from being rostered.

He's mashing the ball right now. Hard to ignore.

He's still hitting .196 post ASB with a 13:0 K:BB ratio. I find him incredibly easy to ignore.

If this guy was the last hitter on earth and I lost a starter and he was the only guy I could pick up. I would go with a vacant roster spot rather than roster this turd. My least favorite hitter in the league. I cannot stand "close your eyes, and waive the bat" losers like he, Miguel Olivo and numerous other hacks.

He has hit 4 HRs ever since he changed his batting stance to incorporate more power from his legs.

Wheres the source for the changed stance? I can find no mention of this? Regardless, the HR are nice, but in the same span he is still batting poorly and K'ing too often which has always been his modus operandi. The talk of a changed stance reminds me of 2009 with the Tigers.

He's a terrible hitter unless men are in scoring position. Then he hits 315. Statistical fluke? Probably. Still interesting to see.

With the Tigers I cringed when he came up with runners on, it was K city.

Archived