NBC Sports Edge Forums

Bartolo Colon 2012 Season Outlook

ssmarsh

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad since he pitched great yesterday. I see him as a matchup guy. His next start is at LA so that may be a bench situation.

Really??? With the way the Angels are hitting?? No way, start him w confidence.

if i remember correctly, in his second start, Cespedes badly misplayed a ball in center that he should have caught but didn't which helped lead to the big inning. the play wasn't ruled an error so all the runs counted against Colon. i'm not saying Colon is great but he's serviceable in deeper leagues especially when at home or against teams like seattle

if i remember correctly, in his second start, Cespedes badly misplayed a ball in center that he should have caught but didn't which helped lead to the big inning. the play wasn't ruled an error so all the runs counted against Colon. i'm not saying Colon is great but he's serviceable in deeper leagues especially when at home or against teams like seattle

I love the last sentence :P

Colon is serviceable when pitching in giant parks against awful hitters :)

He was somehow still available in my 12 team h2h league.

Looking at last year, Colon was pretty filthy in the first half of the season - 3.20 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 79 Ks in 90 IP - and then he wore down and was nowhere near as effective in the second half - 4.96 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, 56 Ks in 74.1 IP.

I think he's the kind of guy you use as long as he's pitching well and dump when his Ks tail off and he starts getting hit harder. Last year that happened around early-to-mid August.

Health is the major concern. Like others have said, he will probably wear down as the season goes on. He throws 90% fastballs so it's hard to imagine he will be this successful. Hard to get away with one pitch consistently for that long.

Health is the major concern. Like others have said, he will probably wear down as the season goes on. He throws 90% fastballs so it's hard to imagine he will be this successful. Hard to get away with one pitch consistently for that long.

I hear you on that. I watched the 38 straight strikes highlight and a few of those pitches were hit hard. Pujols and Wells each hit one to the warning track, and Aybar had a rocket of a ground-rule double.

But it seemed like Colon was throwing 2 different fastballs. Someone with more knowledge of pitch types can correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like he was throwing primarily a four-seamer which had a good amount of movement left to right, and also a two-seamer that is straighter but he throws it on a downward plane which I think can be a very effective pitch if he keeps it down.

I wonder if he will also start to incorporate more of his slider a bit more (he threw it 12% of the time last year, less than 8% of the time this year). He's the kind of wiley vet who I would trust to know his own arsenal and use what's working. The fact that he was successful over a 15 start stretch last season gives me more confidence that this isn't a total mirage.

Colon has used and abused the M's and made a good start in between his Mariners game. I think he puts up one more good game in April and then cools down. Max value while you can.

If you really believe in Colon and think it's a legit start, then you have to assume he gets traded to a contender in the second half. I don't see it, but if u do - then I hold on for the ride.

Colon has used and abused the M's and made a good start in between his Mariners game. I think he puts up one more good game in April and then cools down. Max value while you can.

If you really believe in Colon and think it's a legit start, then you have to assume he gets traded to a contender in the second half. I don't see it, but if u do - then I hold on for the ride.

I just wonder how you completely overlook the fact that he had a very solid first half (15 starts) last year including a bunch of good starts in that Yankee Stadium bandbox. It's not like he's incapable of carrying a ~3.00 ERA for a few months.

he also had stem cell therapy on his elbow and shoulder so he's basically a bionic man at this point.

I just wonder how you completely overlook the fact that he had a very solid first half (15 starts) last year including a bunch of good starts in that Yankee Stadium bandbox. It's not like he's incapable of carrying a ~3.00 ERA for a few months.

he also had stem cell therapy on his elbow and shoulder so he's basically a bionic man at this point.

Age, weight, 2006-2010 time period. He had a good first half last year, but I did not believe that it's something he'll do for all of last season or for half of this season. If you believe he can rock that sub 3.00 ERA for a few months, then he's a good first half trade candidate wouldn't you say?

I wouldn't be fooled by him looking good by how he made the Mariners look dumb 2 out of 3 starts and then beating a slumping Angel's team. In my mind, I want to make a trade with you to and send you Colon for the top value I can receive back. If you're you, then you definitely want to take advantage of the situation.

Age, weight, 2006-2010 time period. He had a good first half last year, but I did not believe that it's something he'll do for all of last season or for half of this season. If you believe he can rock that sub 3.00 ERA for a few months, then he's a good first half trade candidate wouldn't you say?

I wouldn't be fooled by him looking good by how he made the Mariners look dumb 2 out of 3 starts and then beating a slumping Angel's team. In my mind, I want to make a trade with you to and send you Colon for the top value I can receive back. If you're you, then you definitely want to take advantage of the situation.

I don't see him as the kind of guy you can really "sell high" on unless you are in a league with inexperienced owners. To me, he's the kind of guy who is capable of giving you very solid numbers for a while and then he'll eventually be droppable. Most people will realize that and they'll refuse to pay for his services.

I plan to use Colon for as long as he's useful and then dump him for some other waiver wire gem. Over the course of the season I'll probably get SP3 or SP4 numbers out of a string of pickups that way.

Archived