NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Does Beckett clinch CY Young with win tonight?

Wizard of Boz

beckett deserves the cy...but could he get just one more w for my squad tonight? i could really use it...

I disagree Fausto Carmona should be the CY Young Winner. Where would the indians be without him throwing gems every start. My vote for Carmona.

will the sox take him out after 5? already over 70 pitches and no reason to pitch him...

how about a few runs off of stinking boof bonser!

any thoughts on red sox/angels and indians/yanks playoff series

carmona after beckett and sabathia

People never expected this from Fausto and the fact that he has been solid year round is a plus. While Beckett has good numbers, why is he an automatic lock for the cy young because he wins 20 games. Didn't dontrelle win 22 games a few years ago and he didn't win. I think Dan Haren is more deserving then Beckett. CC Sabathia is deserving too. I can see votes for CC and Fausto canceling eachother out and a NON DESERVING Beckett slip in and win. I guess I don't have much love for Beckett.

Sabathia should win the Cy Young with a win tomorrow at KC!!!! He lost 4 games in a row in August where he pitched 8 innings in 2 of them and 7 innings in the other 2 games giving up only 2 runs each game! Did you read that right people?? 4 games where he went 8I, 8I, 7I, 7I giving up 2 earned runs each game and he lost all 4!!! If the Indians hit a lick during that stretch he's going for win number 21 or 22 tomorrow... I know its not Becketts fault and he deserves it as much as CC but I think CC gets the nod.. Fausto will steal some of CC's votes which wont help CC's cause...

18-6/205 K's/3.19 ERA - Sabathia

20-7/194 K's/3.27 ERA - Beckett

19-8/137 K's/3.06 ERA - Carmona

I disagree Fausto Carmona should be the CY Young Winner. Where would the indians be without him throwing gems every start. My vote for Carmona.

weak in k's, weak in whip, identical stats to lackey, where would the angels be without lackey blah blah blah, lackey could win it actually with a win and 1 ER or less

theres a case for sabathia as well

lackeys just the easiest to make since he has 20 wins and he has to face the yankees the most.

Sabathia should win the Cy Young with a win tomorrow at KC!!!! He lost 4 games in a row in August where he pitched 8 innings in 2 of them and 7 innings in the other 2 games giving up only 2 runs each game! Did you read that right people?? 4 games where he went 8I, 8I, 7I, 7I giving up 2 earned runs each game and he lost all 4!!! If the Indians hit a lick during that stretch he's going for win number 21 or 22 tomorrow... I know its not Becketts fault and he deserves it as much as CC but I think CC gets the nod.. Fausto will steal some of CC's votes which wont help CC's cause...

18-6/205 K's/3.19 ERA - Sabathia

20-7/194 K's/3.27 ERA - Beckett

19-8/137 K's/3.06 ERA - Carmona

Very compelling points. Another thing you have to look at is the importance to the team factor. Where would the Indians be w/out Sabathia? Behind the Tigers, out of the postseason. The Sox w/out Beckett? Most likely, still in the playoffs. Also, Beckett went on the 15 day DL in May. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but in a CY race this tight, it's definitely a factor...

People never expected this from Fausto and the fact that he has been solid year round is a plus. While Beckett has good numbers, why is he an automatic lock for the cy young because he wins 20 games. Didn't dontrelle win 22 games a few years ago and he didn't win. I think Dan Haren is more deserving then Beckett. CC Sabathia is deserving too. I can see votes for CC and Fausto canceling eachother out and a NON DESERVING Beckett slip in and win. I guess I don't have much love for Beckett.

but that year carpenter had 20+ wins also, and there hasnt been a 20 game winner since then

Very compelling points. Another thing you have to look at is the importance to the team factor. Where would the Indians be w/out Sabathia? Behind the Tigers, out of the postseason. The Sox w/out Beckett? Most likely, still in the playoffs. Also, Beckett went on the 15 day DL in May. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but in a CY race this tight, it's definitely a factor...

beckett has been there only consistent SP this year. without him who knows where they would be

beckett has been there only consistent SP this year. without him who knows where they would be

I disagree with this one... They've won 90+ games which you just can't do without consistent pitching. Nobody on the staff has dominated like Beckett, but Dice-K, Wakefield, and Schilling (when healthy) have been solid.

Regardless, Sabathia probably has lead in the Cy Young race after tonight. He's thrown more innings than Beckett, has a better ERA, has numerous wins over Santana and Verlander, and has more Ks than Beckett (and has only walked 36 batters in 230 innings). Don't get me wrong, Beckett has put together an unbelievable season, but I think Sabathia just barely edges him out.

Archived