NBC Sports Edge Forums

Minor, Duffy, Smyly, Bard?

Spina

With Sale now a closer, and my draft strategy never to have closers (22 total categories), I need to trade Sale. I know I can get 3 out of those 4 (looking into Smyly right now).

Who do you like ROS?

• Minor
  • Duffy
  • Smyly
  • Bard

WHIR

I'd like to understand your no closers strategy. I think you go with the best talent...and Sale is an injury concern but he should help with strikeouts, whip, era, and get you saves. It's not a lot of innings but in a H2H a couple innings a week go a long way in helping a mediocre outing from one of your arms.

I'd dump Sale for Smyly. I prefer Sale over the others. I own Minor and have streamed Duffy (10 team) but still prefer Sale. Bard imo is in the third tier with Minor/Duffy in the second.

If you're insisting on dumping him, I'd try to package him up with one of your other arms. What of Samardzija? It seems he's not seen to be the ace he is and you may be able to buy him.

1. Smyly

2. Minor

3. Duffy

4. Bard

In that order. Although if you ask me my true feelings, I think that once they feel that Sale's elbow is ok, he is going back to the rotation. By the ASB he will be back in there and when/if that happens, he clearly trumps those 4.

The saves category is 1 of 22 so yea, I kinda changed the mindset of the closer role in my league when I decided years back to totally disregard it. Hence, I can only get young, upside SPs and those are the ones I can get and like.

Would love to shoot higher though. Just really can't.

1. Smyly

2. Minor

3. Duffy

4. Bard

In that order. Although if you ask me my true feelings, I think that once they feel that Sale's elbow is ok, he is going back to the rotation. By the ASB he will be back in there and when/if that happens, he clearly trumps those 4.

I like this assessment. Minor will turn it around I believe.

I'd like to understand your no closers strategy. I think you go with the best talent...and Sale is an injury concern but he should help with strikeouts, whip, era, and get you saves. It's not a lot of innings but in a H2H a couple innings a week go a long way in helping a mediocre outing from one of your arms.

I'd dump Sale for Smyly. I prefer Sale over the others. I own Minor and have streamed Duffy (10 team) but still prefer Sale. Bard imo is in the third tier with Minor/Duffy in the second.

If you're insisting on dumping him, I'd try to package him up with one of your other arms. What of Samardzija? It seems he's not seen to be the ace he is and you may be able to buy him.

I too, of course love and prefer Sale. I drafted him with the expectation he would dominate like I envisioned. As for Samardzija - - I've inquired. Believe me. He's the one I looked into first. Got shot down real quick.

...and my previous post kinda explains my thoughts on the closer role. No use for them. Couldn't even name them. That one saves category (out of 22) does nothing for me. Get lots of good quality arm, and dominate W, K, DP, QS, and more than compete in ERA and WHIP. Plus when everyone is drafting closers in the 10/11 Round, I'm drafting guys like David Freese and Jesus Montero. Works every year, and I continue to dominate.

1. Smyly

2. Minor

3. Duffy

4. Bard

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'd be devastated if he returns to the rotation on someone else's team.

I like this assessment. Minor will turn it around I believe.

I concur. That's why he's on my young, upside target list (Plus he's a lefty - - got a thing for them). Just wanted to get the pulse of the Rotoworld Community.

I too, of course love and prefer Sale. I drafted him with the expectation he would dominate like I envisioned. As for Samardzija - - I've inquired. Believe me. He's the one I looked into first. Got shot down real quick.

...and my previous post kinda explains my thoughts on the closer role. No use for them. Couldn't even name them. That one saves category (out of 22) does nothing for me. Get lots of good quality arm, and dominate W, K, DP, QS, and more than compete in ERA and WHIP. Plus when everyone is drafting closers in the 10/11 Round, I'm drafting guys like David Freese and Jesus Montero. Works every year, and I continue to dominate.

That's all well and good but if a closer falls into your lap no reason to dump him. They help with k's, DP (double plays?), era, and whip.

I get not drafting one. But dumping him the moment you accidently land one seems like pure stubborness that is coming at the expense of your team.

That's all well and good but if a closer falls into your lap no reason to dump him. They help with k's, DP (double plays?), era, and whip.

I get not drafting one. But dumping him the moment you accidently land one seems like pure stubborness that is coming at the expense of your team.

Wouldn't be the 1st time I've been called stubborn :D and I wouldn't be dumping him to the WW - - I'd be trading for one of those guys. Plus I don't feel as though a closer fell on my lap, but instead my young, stud-in-the-making got put on the 60-day DL. Done for the year. And that, has obviously come at the expense of my team. For my strategy to work I need quality starters and can't/won't waste one on a guy that maybe gets 3 IP/a week. Just not my style - - stubborn, or not.

For my strategy to work I need quality starters and can't/won't waste one on a guy that maybe gets 3 IP/a week. Just not my style - - stubborn, or not.

Aroldis is the exception to the rule - - drafted him with the expectation of him being in the rotation <_<

BARD is now off the table. Was just traded for Nathan moments ago.

Personally, after thinking it twice over, I would hang onto Sale. Even though you don't like having relievers, I think Sale is an exception and will eventually be back in the rotation. Just my thoughts.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?/topic/285127-maholm-or-friedrich/

Hope you're right...that's why I'm so hesitate. This has really screwed over my rotation. Well, that, and Philip Humber of course :angry:

Wouldn't be the 1st time I've been called stubborn :D and I wouldn't be dumping him to the WW - - I'd be trading for one of those guys. Plus I don't feel as though a closer fell on my lap, but instead my young, stud-in-the-making got put on the 60-day DL. Done for the year. And that, has obviously come at the expense of my team. For my strategy to work I need quality starters and can't/won't waste one on a guy that maybe gets 3 IP/a week. Just not my style - - stubborn, or not.

I'd rather have 3 great innings than 6 mediocre ones.

I'd rather have 3 great innings than 6 mediocre ones.

To each his own. Thanks for the opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived