NBC Sports Edge Forums

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

calzonesays

I think he gets every opportunity to win a job in ST. Depends how he performs there. That will give us a much better idea. To say he spends all of 2015 in the Minors is crazy to me. No doubt in my mind he's up next year at some point.

He has 39 ab's at high A this year. He might finish the year at high A, and even if he finishes at AA he'll only have a handful of ab's. They aren't going to hand him the job out of ST next year with either zero, or a handful of ab's at AA. They aren't going to rush him. Zero chance he's up in April next year. And I think it's very unlikely he's up at all next year. Kris Bryant destroyed AA, and has been destroying AAA. He's also two years older than Buxton, and he isn't up. No reason to rush the kid. They'll give him time to develop in the minors before calling him up.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he gets every opportunity to win a job in ST. Depends how he performs there. That will give us a much better idea. To say he spends all of 2015 in the Minors is crazy to me. No doubt in my mind he's up next year at some point.

It isn't crazy, its called successful baseball strategy. No reason to rush a kid who still needs a lot of work. Has immense promise, but hasnt done anything except hit well again A-ball. If he has a great 2015, he might get a September call-up.

IF he gets a look during the Spring, and IF he impresses, then I can see him making the bigs. Some big IFs of course, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Manny Ramirez could start for the Cubs and hit 40 HR next year. It is not out of the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't put money on it.

For those of us that watch baseball transactions, we know the Twins move players incredibly slow through their system. They don't promote very often unless you generally dominate.

Buxton is not trout or Harper, and not in organizations that would promote him as such. He clearly needs work from what I see, but the potential is there.

I think it would be bad for him to be in MLB before July next year. Honestly he hasnt showed us much as this point, and Buxton still has a bust chance going on here. He needs to be healthy, and get some AA at-bats in. After 300+ at-bats in AA, I think we will see him either get moved to AAA, or head straight to the majors. That is the realistic aggressive time-table here. Late June 2015 would be a VERY aggressive move to predict for an prospect in High-A with now a few durability questions.

Realistically I think we will see him around September 2015. That assumes he doesn't miss anymore games and goes to the AFL to log in some more at-bats.

IF he gets a look during the Spring, and IF he impresses, then I can see him making the bigs. Some big IFs of course, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Manny Ramirez could start for the Cubs and hit 40 HR next year. It is not out of the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't put money on it.

For those of us that watch baseball transactions, we know the Twins move players incredibly slow through their system. They don't promote very often unless you generally dominate.

Buxton is not trout or Harper, and not in organizations that would promote him as such. He clearly needs work from what I see, but the potential is there.

I think it would be bad for him to be in MLB before July next year. Honestly he hasnt showed us much as this point, and Buxton still has a bust chance going on here. He needs to be healthy, and get some AA at-bats in. After 300+ at-bats in AA, I think we will see him either get moved to AAA, or head straight to the majors. That is the realistic aggressive time-table here. Late June 2015 would be a VERY aggressive move to predict for an prospect in High-A with now a few durability questions.

Realistically I think we will see him around September 2015. That assumes he doesn't miss anymore games and goes to the AFL to log in some more at-bats.

Actually, even though he's player/coaching right now, that absolutely IS out of the realm of possibility. Not only will he not be playing for the Cubs, but there's zero chance he hits 40 HR. The Manny reference here is silly. Or maybe just how we perceive the phrase "realm of possibility"? But what you proposed about Manny is farrrrrrr less likely than the #1 prospect in baseball *gasp* winning a job out of spring. (admittedly and albeit early for sure. But still a possibility)

Yes, from what YOU see. And yes, YOU think it would be bad for him. How do YOU know that it would be bad for him, if he happens to finish this year well and plays well in Spring? What YOU think about his readiness is moot. It's about what the kid displays for the next 9 months. It's best to let him, his play and his organization make those decisions......This i s exactly my point.

However, all I'm saying is that if he did in fact get a shot with the Twins in Spring, and if he did in fact show flashes of brilliance for the majority of Spring, than only in that situation can I see them giving him a shot. What if he dominates the rest of the year this year, and then impresses the Twins in Spring? You have to admit it would create a very interesting situation where a potential MLB job could be his to win if his cards fall right.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'm definitely not saying it's 100% not happening like you seem to think.

BTW, I don't say or mean any of this to come off as argumentative or snarky (because of the bolded and YOU's). Just legitimate thoughts that come to mind on the subject. No disrespect or sour grapes intended. I'd like to avoid some cocky confrontation haha

But the problem with all that hypothesizing is that you need so many things to go right for it just to have a chance of happening. It is pretty much like betting on Manny Ramirez hitting 40 HRs again. Let's break it down:

1. You need Buxton to stay healthy the rest of the year

2. You need him to light it up in High A

3. You need him to get promoted to AA

4. You need for him to light it up in AA

5. You need him to be in AA before the end of the season

6. You need him to healthy enough to attend AFL

7. You need him to light up AFL

8. You need him to get invited to major league camp in Spring training

9. You need him to light up Spring training

10. You need him to not get cut at any point in Spring training

11. You need him to make the team.

It's not just oh! He had a good game! He's gonna be an mlb player now! Buxton still has a looooooooooong way to go.

But the problem with all that hypothesizing is that you need so many things to go right for it just to have a chance of happening. It is pretty much like betting on Manny Ramirez hitting 40 HRs again. Let's break it down:

1. You need Buxton to stay healthy the rest of the year

2. You need him to light it up in High A

3. You need him to get promoted to AA

4. You need for him to light it up in AA

5. You need him to be in AA before the end of the season

6. You need him to healthy enough to attend AFL

7. You need him to light up AFL

8. You need him to get invited to major league camp in Spring training

9. You need him to light up Spring training

10. You need him to not get cut at any point in Spring training

11. You need him to make the team.

It's not just oh! He had a good game! He's gonna be an mlb player now! Buxton still has a looooooooooong way to go.

These are not unrealistic. He's hasn't been the #1/2 prospect for over a year for nothing. He has the tools to do all of these. He will also turn 21 before next season. Age doesn't play a huge part but if Sano also comes back from injury and performs well, Minnesota fans will be clamoring for both to be called up.

Keep in mind that he was invited to this year's ST so I don't see #8 as an obstacle that needs to be overcome.

Now I do see #1 as something he certainly needs to do to start knocking out #s 2 - 11

Hit on the wrist last night and in visible pain, but stayed in the rest of the game which went 17 innings. This guys wrist must have a target on it.

Also worth mentioning that he went 4-6 with 2 walks, 1 k, a cs and a hr. AA is right around the corner.

I think we see him at some point next year but most likely not until the end of the year. He will get some PT in AA this year and he will really need to crush it to have a chance of being up out of ST. My projection is that he sees a full year in AA/AAA and we see him sometime around august or Sept next year.

Didn't see his most recent RW blurb posted yet:

Twins outfield prospect Byron Buxton stayed hot on Friday for High-A Fort Myers, going 4-for-6 with a home run, two walks, and a hit by pitch.

Buxton has gone 9-for-15 with a triple and two home runs over his last three games, raising his season line to .280/.357/.520. Buxton hit .326/.415/.472 with Fort Myers in 2013, and could be in line for a promotion to Double-A New Britain in short order. Despite missing the first three months of the season, Buxton is still the top prospect in baseball. The injury has obfuscated his timeline, but he could be in the major leagues in early 2015.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived