NBC Sports Edge Forums

Byron Buxton - OF MIN

calzonesays

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just scored the first pick in my league's mid-season minor league draft, and Buxton is the guy I'm going with. He's starting to look like he could be a crazy elite fantasy prospect, and he's certainly someone to get excited about at this point.

The big question with both Buxton and Sano will be call-up timing. I know the Twins are notoriously slow with calling up their pitching prospects, but they have occasionally shown a willingness to quickly promote hitters that they thought were advanced enough to make it (Mauer and Revere are examples). I just hope they don't leave him on the farm forever is all.

Man, checking out his MILB page brings me back to when I kept checking Trout's. They both played for the same Low A team(Cedar Rapids) and both just tore the league up. Buxton's stats look a lot like Trout's when he played there. He's the next big thing

A call-up to High A to finish out the season will probably happen, and then next year I can see him starting out in AA. Developing power, incredible speed, great eye at the plate. Dude's looking like a monster player

No chance he's up this year. This is his first full year in Pro ball and he's in Low A

I'd expect a call-up to High A within the next 30 days or so and he'll finish out the season there most likely. Best case scenario is he gets a midseason call-up next year if he's dominating in AA, or a september call-up next year.

He's a good year and a half away at the very least, and perhaps 2 full years away if he has any struggles in High A/AA

With guys like this, the timeline is very fluid. He could absolutely dominate high A for a month and get his feet wet in AA this fall with an AFL appearance and a Spring Training invite. From there, who knows.

He's clearly a special, special talent, but the Twins are historically very methodical with their prospects, meaning he could spend all of 2014 with High A / AA and not sniff the big club till mid 2015...

Quotes that Jason Parks gathered on Buxton

"Buxton is the best player I have ever scouted in the minors.."

"He's Eric Davis with a better bat. It would be great for the game if Buxton becomes Buxton.
"

"We have an internal comp to Mike Trout, but the tools might be even louder at full potential.
"

Just had a guy in our league bid $45 on Buxton in tonights waiver. Am I missing something or is this guy just super stashing him? Like, stashing him possibly a few years? Or is there a call up?

I think people read the ESPN article and got a little too antsy. People that already knew about him know that he wont be up till late 2014 at the earliest. I had a guy in my KEEP 2 league already stash him. He is in last place, but he can keep Myers and Profar for free as it is so I dont really get the move.

My only guess is the ESPN article caused people to jump on him, especailly since the article clearly states "If youre in a keeper league go and pick him up now". I think it depends on how many you keep to be honest. If I were in a 20 team Keep 10 league ya I would probably pick him up. But picking him up in a 10 team, keep 2 league is pretty comical to say the least.

The guy is likely carrying dead weight for a couple of years, but looking back to a few years ago, it probably would have been a wise move to have the dead weight Mike Trout for a year or so before he got called up to cash in on what's happening now.

I wish Yahoo would add him to the player list so I could scoop him up in a keeper league of mine. I know he may not make an impact til mid-2014 but he's too good of a talent to pass up. I got Machado in May of 2012 thinking he wouldn't sniff the majors til July of this season and I won the lottery on that one.

forbin.....in some keeper leagues he will be drafted late in the draft next year the at earliest.

I agree, I dont see the point in grabbing Buxton this early (unless its a dynasty or you have a keeper pool of 150-200+) when he isnt expected to be up till at least 2015 (maybe late 2014, but I think even that is pushing it)

Sano and Bogaerts are a lot closer to the Bigs than Buxton. I can't see him playing for the Twins in 2014 unless it's a very brief cup of coffee in September. I expect him to compete for a job at the start of 2015 but even then I wouldn't be that surprised if he ended up starting in minors in 2015. Obviously a lot depends on how he adjusts to the higher levels but I think late 2014, early 2015 is a very fair projection based on his talent.

Archived