NBC Sports Edge Forums

Edwar Cabrera 2012 Season Outlook

Ty Lawsome

http://twitter.com/TroyRenck

Edwar Cabrera is in clubhouse wearing no. 46. Bold move if activated to start Thursday. He's been strong in AA
Cabrera said could pitch Wednesday.

This is big news to me, if he does in fact get to start. Cabrera is one of my favorite prospects, and certainly one of the Rockies' best. He's sort of like Nicasio last year. Little bit older after coming from the DR, but absolutely dominated the minors. In 2011 he struckout 217 batters in 167 IP between low and high A. This year in Double-A he has K'd 82 in 98 IP, with a 2.98 ERA. Is also a groundball pitcher with good control, so he should be okay at Coors(well, as good as anyone can be).

I think he can have some fantasy impact if he can find a spot and run with it.

Been following this guy as I've keeping my eye on Arenado.

I like his swing and miss capability (though it's down this year). Any thoughts? Could be a good stream against the Nats on Wednesday (JZimm is not allowed to win games).

(From coloradorockiesprospects.com): Cabrera uses an 87-92 mph fastball, which he'll cut at times, to set up his best pitch, a changeup. He also can throw a slurvy breaking ball for strikes.

guys with good change ups seem to have more success as rookies. Apparently if he would add a few mph on his fastball he would be a top prospect but as it is now he just has a below average fastball. I looked at his last few minor league starts and they were all very solid. I'll be interested to see what he does tomorrow to a nats team that just scored 12 runs.

Looking at his stats shows he's given up 15 HRs this year. That doesn't concern anyone, when considering he will be pitching some of his games @ Coors?

From RW:

Rockies recalled LHP Edwar Cabrera from Double-A Tulsa.

Cabrera will make his major league debut on Wednesday night against the Nationals. He's struggled this year at the Double-A level and should be avoided in all fantasy leagues.

If 8-4, 2.94ERA, and a 0.898 WHIP, 82k/23BB in 98IP is struggling, I wonder what their definition of excelling is..

As long as he is on a 75 pitch, pitch count like the rest of the side show clowns in Tracy's circus, it will be hard to maintain and sort of fantasy value.

Been following this guy as I've keeping my eye on Arenado.

I like his swing and miss capability (though it's down this year). Any thoughts? Could be a good stream against the Nats on Wednesday (JZimm is not allowed to win games).

Heck no, WASH has the highest Team total on the board in Vegas today.

this guy looks awesome, the jump from double-A to the bigs is huge though. Only thing that really concerns me is that HR/9, it's pretty high. That's not a good thing for a guy pitching at coors.

Archived