NBC Sports Edge Forums

Corey Kluber 2012 Season Outlook

Cmilne23

Chances are Corey Kluber is better at pitching than anyone posting in this thread is at their career endeavor.

Whether or not he is a success at the big league level he's closer to living the dream than the vast majority of us.

Definitely not a loser. However it is easy to forget perspective when playing fantasy baseball.

Yep, agreed. The guy is obviously not a loser. He is a big league player. No big league player is a loser. That was a distasteful remark by me. I overreacted to a poor start by him and made some over the top remarks.

While true he's not a loser, let's not overreact here and come down on Cmilne23.

Many guys have been called losers, pansies, etc. not only on the boards, but by sports fans everywhere. Now we have the moral police calling out a poster because a player's mom "may have" posted on this board (or it's one awesome prank!)?

Do you guys sit in the Stadium and if someone screams at the OFer that he's a loser, you correct him and say he's probably more successful than you?

Come on. This is sports in America. It's what we do. And if mom can't handle the criticism, I hope she doesn't go see him live. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

So back to Corey Kluber. Dude's a loser until he helps me on my fantasy team. And I'm sticking to it.

That may very well be true and I appreciate you coming to bat for me. However, in hindsight starting the thread purely to bash him was wrong on my part. Being an adult is knowing when to admit you made a mistake. I gave the guy no credit for his minor league track record, and focused purely on one poor inning. That is not very good insight to give the board. If he does end up being solid, the first impression in this thread may sour people from taking a flier on him. So for that I think we should all give him a fair shot to see what hes got before we label him a loser.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure everyone poster on this board has said something to this nature about a player. While every MLBer is extremely talented, and the best of the best at what the do, Fantasy baseball uses an entire player pool, thus we seek the cream of the crop. Not every player is going to cut it, and be labelled a scrub as a result, nobody should take it personally.

Back to Kluber, he projects as a 4-5 SP. He has a 87-92 MPH Fastball that plays up due to his deceptive delivery, but it sometimes comes out flat and when it does he can get hit. He throws a lot of secondary pitches, mostly a change, slider and curve and gets most his K's (128 in 125.1IP @ AAA) by keeping hitters off balance mixed with good location.

i find it weird that his mom would find this thread unless she was specifically googling his name last night. strange

I googled his name when I saw this thread last night and this thread was actually on the first page of results. It was like the 8th link down, so I can see it.

I agree with 2balls and what others have said though, its the internet and specifically a fantasy forum where we discuss the best of the best in MLB. Guys who struggle will be criticized, its just the way its going to be.

CMilne...I think the issue was....you made your assesment looking at the boxscore after his first inning as a major leaguer. You obviously knew nothing about him prior so instead you "attacked" him. I'm sure the last thing you expected was his mom to pay a visit but welp....it is 2012.

Personally, I'm impressed with a youngster who gets roughed up in their first inning of their MLB debut and settles down for a few quality innings. It's not entirely uncommon in a first start and speaks volumes about their ability to get through adversity during a game.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the mother thing at all. Not even a little bit.

Dont know that I've put much thought into it, but who would look up mom's name (to get initials) and sign up to make one post? Hilarious if it was his mom, and hilarious if someone punk'd us.

CMilne...I think the issue was....you made your assesment looking at the boxscore after his first inning as a major leaguer. You obviously knew nothing about him prior so instead you "attacked" him. I'm sure the last thing you expected was his mom to pay a visit but welp....it is 2012.

Personally, I'm impressed with a youngster who gets roughed up in their first inning of their MLB debut and settles down for a few quality innings. It's not entirely uncommon in a first start and speaks volumes about their ability to get through adversity during a game.

I play in a pretty high stakes keeper league, I have a full scouting on just about every teams minor league system. I had honestly never heard of Corey Kluber before. In hindsight, yes, I did overreact to one inning and the fact that I had not heard of him prior. But earlier in the day I had been planning some hitting matchups for future weeks against the Indians awful pitching staff and then I see this guy getting shelled and ultimately made a pretty low class post.

Once again, and for the final time, I admit to making a knee jerk reaction post that was not good in taste. Now lets get this thread back on track. Minor league stats look solid so before any conclusions are made before declaring this guy a loser lets give him some more time. I hope for the Kluber family he makes me look like an idiot. It won't be the first time, and it won't be the last that someone made me look like a moron!

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the mother thing at all. Not even a little bit.

Dont know that I've put much thought into it, but who would look up mom's name (to get initials) and sign up to make one post? Hilarious if it was his mom, and hilarious if someone punk'd us.

Never underestimate ones out in the internet world, some very clever people in the world, who love just messing with people. If I was a betting man, I would bet it was Corey Kluber before being mom. Possible brother or sister.......

I'm Brandon Wood's brother. The verbal abuse he has taken on this forum almost made me never return.

Try being Billy Butler's older brother and he's the skinny one....this forum makes me so depressed.

throwin em out there, why not

I'm expecting some what of a pitchers duel.

Both Kluber and Deduno are under rated talents.

I'm expecting a slug fest.

Yes, it is true that he had 2 parents and I am his mother. Talk about pathetic, look at the comments you make about a 26 year old trying to make his lifelong dream come true. I found your posts on "google alerts" that are sent to my email. If you had a son who was in the news occasionally wouldn't you want to see what people are saying about him/her? Thank you for the kind words of congrats! To the rest of you, what did you think of his 2nd start? My husband is from Cleveland and has always been a huge fan. He was so excited when he want traded to the organization. Me, I am a die hard Red Sox fan and my son is pitching against them this weekend. At least for this game I am saying GO TRIBE!

Yes, it is true that he had 2 parents and I am his mother. Talk about pathetic, look at the comments you make about a 26 year old trying to make his lifelong dream come true. I found your posts on "google alerts" that are sent to my email. If you had a son who was in the news occasionally wouldn't you want to see what people are saying about him/her? Thank you for the kind words of congrats! To the rest of you, what did you think of his 2nd start? My husband is from Cleveland and has always been a huge fan. He was so excited when he want traded to the organization. Me, I am a die hard Red Sox fan and my son is pitching against them this weekend. At least for this game I am saying GO TRIBE!

Again, congrats on your son accomplishing his dream. It's really incredible to make it to the bigs, so, seriously, hats off to him. This is a fantasy baseball forum, so we talk some junk about players. It's absolutely nothing personal and your son deserves all the credit in the world.

Me, I am a die hard Red Sox fan and my son is pitching against them this weekend. At least for this game I am saying GO TRIBE!

Tell him to purposely "throw" this game. Let's make some money here!!

Seriously, congratulations to you. You should be extremely proud of your son. My brother is in high school and dreams of making it where your son has someday.

That said, your son is now a bit of a name. The fact he has some critics just means he's somewhat well known. Best get some thick skin. You'll hear worse. While I have no relatives in the bigs, a mutual friend of mine is in the bigs as a starting pitcher (he has a multiple page thread here). Some of the comments aren't so kind as he's not an ace pitcher. And a former coach of mine is awfully close to making the jump from triple a to the majors. It undoubtedly changes things when it's a family member instead of a casual friend but I can somewhat relate.

Take solace knowing most of us are envious and the fact your son even made it to the majors is an extraordinary accomplishment in its own right. Be proud but if you're going to have a hard time hearing criticisms you may want to avoid any fantasy baseball threads. Guys were throwing Albert Pujols under the bus after his start to the year. And he's one of the greatest of all time. Your son (and every other player) is a long ways from Pujols.

Archived