NBC Sports Edge Forums

7 Weeks Left, How's Your Team Doing?

ssmarsh

^^^^ haha thats awesome, most people would freak out if that underhanded crap went down. Love that attitude, go get em bro! And when you do, rub it in every day possible, thats some weak sauce right there

One thing I've always maintained, I never talk trash. I realize most people only play for the trash talking, but it's so much better for me to show up the draft (one live, one online) and be silent. Specifically the live draft. Not to get too far off tangent, but when I drafted this year, it was at a bar, per usual and people actually came to watch the league draft.

There's nothing quite like sitting there, and not flinching, never needing more than a few seconds to draft and never reading anything I brought, except to scratch names off. SOOOOO intimidating.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 team keeper Roto - bottom 3 in April into early May and then young Mike Trout got the call. Team mounted a steady climb thru the standings and reached 1st in early July. Early July thru early August was a seesaw between the top 3 teams leapfrogging each other daily. My pitching has been putrid for the last month and team has fallen to 4th, 10 points out of 1st. Top team in the hitting cats with 62 points out of 70. Middle of the pack in pitching with 35 points. Tried to shore up the SPs in trades. AS break traded away Beckett for Johan (ouch) and just last week traded Bruce and Beachy for Weaver who promptly lost for the 1st time in months

A.L. only keeper H2H - been 1st or 2nd all year and have Trout. Injuries have been a pain but made a trade a month ago where I gave up Trumbo to get Matt Moore and he's helped the staff. Currently in 1st with a 8 game lead (we play 7 games a week)

N.L. only keeper H2H - currently in 2nd and have been battling back and forth with another team for 2nd / 3rd. 1st place team is stacked and has a commanding lead. Had at least 6 SPs go to the DL including my ace, Halladay. Big trade prior to the auction brought in Goldschmidt, Bruce and Axford (ouch) but I had to part with Joey Votto

^^^^ haha thats awesome, most people would freak out if that underhanded crap went down. Love that attitude, go get em bro! And when you do, rub it in every day possible, thats some weak sauce right there

One thing I've always maintained, I never talk trash. I realize most people only play for the trash talking, but it's so much better for me to show up the draft (one live, one online) and be silent. Specifically the live draft. Not to get too far off tangent, but when I drafted this year, it was at a bar, per usual and people actually came to watch the league draft.

There's nothing quite like sitting there, and not flinching, never needing more than a few seconds to draft and never reading anything I brought, except to scratch names off. SOOOOO intimidating.

Haha youre a freak dude. Strictly business. I like it!

Im the complete opposite. I do the most trades in my league (Currently at 25) and everyone despises how i flip their old players for new studs. I love it. Love trash talking too. Although, it lost its pizzazz when i picked up Mike Trout and my team became ultra hulk.

I'm in 4 leagues, all 4 leagues I'll make the play-offs. Guess being an active manager helps. Although in my 14 player league I was in 13th place before the ASB and now I'm in 3rd. Sometimes it's also about luck... You having the right matchups, and your opponent does not.

Hahaha agreed thats great. Smallball, you just became my new favorite member on this site.

"He's ice cold, never makes a mistake, wears you down. You do somethin stupid..." -Goose from Top Gun

Haha youre a freak dude. Strictly business. I like it!

Im the complete opposite. I do the most trades in my league (Currently at 25) and everyone despises how i flip their old players for new studs. I love it. Love trash talking too. Although, it lost its pizzazz when i picked up Mike Trout and my team became ultra hulk.

In the cheater league I grabbed trout the day he and Harper got the call, I won't say that hasnt helped me out.

Hahaha agreed thats great. Smallball, you just became my new favorite member on this site.

"He's ice cold, never makes a mistake, wears you down. You do somethin stupid..." -Goose from Top Gun

Smallball likes this, I will say this though. In my main money league I talked trash once. I had a friend over who was in the league to see my new man room, we watched opening day of the MLB season and afterword he said he loved the theatre room, I said with a little smile, "you should, you help pay for it."

Classic.

9th out of 12 in a keeper league. Probably won't make the playoffs unless I cover a 6 game spread in the next two weeks. Been a tough year, but have bundled quite a few trades for early draft picks next year - I have that going for me.

5 out of 10 in a Roto league (17 behind). Not looking good. My last hope is my pitching staff I traded for (Verlander & King Felix) around the All-Star break bring me to striking distance.

I'm in a few leagues. But there the One I truely care about? Im Currently in first place. I don't know I pulled if off... My offense has been pretty inconsistant, and not very impressive. Doesn't help that i'm fairly stubbern about never benching Zobrist, and Jay Bruce. So ive rode them thru thick and thin..But I got my Longo back finally

Guy in 2nd has Miggy Cabrera, Trout, Cain and Weaver. I'd love to have bragging rights on beating a team that Had Trout...Not to mention his team is just sick and better than mine..

My Pitching staff has been my Savior. I drafted Cueto, Price and Milone. Bought Low on Halladay and Waino.. Also picked up Kuroda, Bucholtz, Fiers off of waivers. So needess to say. My rotation has been nothing short of awesome in the 2nd half and is the only reason I'm able to stay above my Rival..

I'm been in this league for 5 years now and never won it, but Ive finished in the Top 5 every year (this is a 15 team roto BTW)

well i have trout, cargo, encarncion, kinsler, hanley. zimmerman, craig, price, hamels, 3 of the top 7 closers...and i'm in 2nd. i should be in first by a wide margin in a standard league but the damn league counts losses for pitchers, k's and hits for batters. suffice to say i'm pretty freaking pissed off.

Interesting thread. I as well am not much of a crap talker, and I have minor superstition even posting here. It's also why I've never posted in the Vent & Rant thread, the Victory is Mine!! thread, or ranted in a player's thread who has something against the idea of me winning a league. (I'm looking at you Tim Lincecum) I also refuse to change my team name or anything if I'm performing well. Anyway, I'm in 4 leagues and have at one time or another led all 4 simultaneously.

Money league (team in sig): I have led this league since opening day. I lost the lead maybe 3-4 times all year, only to snatch it back in a day. I currently have my biggest lead I've had all year. With how much I read these forums, speculate, and check RW homepage on my phone at all hours throughout the day, no one is going to beat me to a FA I want. (see sig) I will be very sad if I lose this league.

NL-only league (8 teams, 4 keepers, roto): I have led this one 95% of the season as well. I inherited the team before last year with Braun, Hanley, Greinke and Wainwright as my keepers, who I kept again this year. I bundled a bunch of pitchers and got Kershaw and drafted Strasburg so I have my keepers set for next year for sure. The guys in 2nd and 3rd kinda scare me but I think I can hold them off.

Mixed league (10 teams, ESPN standard, roto): I made the mistake of picking up Harper over Trout in this one. (Hate myself so much) I've still held the lead probably 85% of the year but it always seems kinda shaky.

Mixed crap-shoot league (20 teams, tons of cats, roto): We scrambled to put together a 20 team league fully expecting most people would end up not paying attention to it. There are three of us that pay close attention and we're all in the top three. I drafted Mike Trout in the 27th round here so I am hoping I can win. Right now I'm in second, down by 2 points. This league can go to any one of the three of us. A CGSO from here on out for any of us might very well keep that person in the lead.

Again, I knocked on wood before posting this. I'm really hoping my pride doesn't get to me, superstitiously, but it's a cool thread and I'm not really posting it for the purpose of bragging.

After having a huge lead in the first half, injuries to Kemp, Stanton, and Tulo (among others) caused a huge free fall offensively (I've lead all pitching cats all season long).

Currently in 2nd, only 2.5-3 points out of first and in great position to complete the comeback thanks to the returns of Kemp and Stanton, coupled with the recent hot streaks of guys like Bruce and Frazier.

NL-only 12-team keeper - been leading most of the year, fell into 2nd place by 1/2 a point yesterday. Pitching has taken a dump since Anibal got traded to the AL, JMac turned into a pumpkin, CLee continues to not win, and my relievers (Axford and KRod) ruined my ratios. Just traded for ARam, Headley, Hamels, Motte, W. Lopez, and some minor upgrades while giving up Stubbs and Frazier. Hoping to gain a couple points in saves with Motte, Lopez, and Henderson all getting chances right now while needing a boost in OBP.

AL-only 10-team keeper - been leading almost the whole year although my lead's down to 7 points. Been riddled by injuries lately (ARod, CC, Pettitte, Hamels, AJ Griffin) so hopefully I can weather the storm and finish strong. Trade deadline isn't until Sunday so I might make one more move to give me a boost. Need Plouffe to regain his stroke, Trout to maintain his ridiculous pace, and my pitching to get its act together (looking at you Ubaldo).

after I thought all was lost at 1-6 to start the year, the man we know as Trout came in and saved my season after draft busts A-Gone and J-Up almost ruined it...currently in a dogfight for one of the 4 playoff spots at 11-8, currently sitting 2nd with first place at 13-6....2nd sounds good, but the twist is, 5 out of the 10 teams are at 10-9. One bad loss, and i could conceivably drop to 5th or 6th....

4 Roto Yahoo Pro:

1st 3 pts ahead, 3 team race for the crown, Edwin & Hanrahan MVPs

1st 9 pts ahead, pulling ahead of the pack, Edwin and Trout :wub: MVPs

1st 15 pts ahead, might pull a wire to wire on this one, Trout, Hanrahan & Price MVPs

1st 4 pts ahead, very tight league, 5th place is just 13 points back, I'm ahead basically with smoke and mirrors as I have no breakthrough stars, just good players (Posey, Altuve, Price, Hamilton-league started after his phenomenal run-)

2 H2H Yahoo (money), 6 teams make the playoffs, 1 and 2 get a bye:

4/10 in a very tight league, no guaranteed playoffs yet but I'm in a good position, Miggy, Edwin, Hanrahan MVPs

2/10 playoffs a sure thing, fighting for 1st round bye, Edwin, Hanrahan MVPs

1 Roto Yahoo (free):

2/10 close behind, need for Votto and Papi to comeback strong, Edwin, Price MVPs

1 Roto ESPN (free):

1st good lead from 2nd, Edwin, Braun, Strasburg MVPs

1 H2H ESPN (money), 4 teams make the playoffs:

3/10 no chance I miss playoffs, Miggy, Hanrahan, Price MVPs

Well, that is the end of my "cool story, bro" :lol:

I guess I'm doing ok :)

The only league where I have a shot to win, I've been in first since the beginning of the season. Things got dicey a few weeks ago when my team hit a rough patch and my weakness was just getting weaker. I had a very unimpressive pitching staff, but have since added Wainwright, Zimmermann and Gallardo to help that out.

To start with that team I had Chris Perez and Huston Street as my closers but picked up Johnson and Rodney early on, and have reaped the rewards from them as a closing tandem (along with Perez and a combination of Wilhelmsen/Capps/Casilla/Street).

Oh, and I've got Mike Trout.

But what I like better is that I've currently got Lawrie, Votto, Marcum and Garza on the DL and still winning. When I get those guys back, the sky seems to be the limit since that will only help my team (at least from Lawrie/Votto).

I'm in 2nd out of 16 right now, finished in 14th last year so really trying to win it this year.

I made some huge moves between last year and this year to become a contender and there paying off, gotta love rebuilding teams and making them legit.

Archived