NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

In all honesty Powell did impress me with his 4 touches lol. You can tell he does have skills. But the fact that they still refused to give him touches even after Williams went down shows he is not gonna have any value this season. I really do believe he could produce if given touches but it looks like that wont happen unless Williams smith and 10 other rbs go down lol. It's a shame

Also for the record I bet $100 on Powell to be the first to score a TD in the game last night at 25/1. I'll be putting even more on it next game.

If you keep doubling your bet every time you lose, you will definitely eventually win HUGE!

GZ is also a useful fantasy option

and Powell barely has more rushing yards than him.

and Alphonso Smith got more snaps when Williams went out

and Anthony Sherman

I'm gonna go start another thread on every player with 2 functioning legs... Oooh the upside.

You're already doing that in the Josh Gordon thread... hyping as the next big thing a guy with 7 catches in 4 games (plus several drops), a guy who plays in an abysmal passing offense, a guy who played 17 games and had all of 7 TDs in college, a guy who skipped a year of football after failing three drug tests, and a guy who wasn't even picked until the second round of the supplemental draft.

We all have our man crushes in fantasy football, some more rational than others. Mine is Bryce Brown, fully realizing that he never proved anything in college either after his studly ranking coming out of high school, and that he's currently firmly stuck behind Shady in the pecking order.

Just don't get why people have to be so angry that someone would have the nerve to believe William Powell could be a good player if given the opportunity.

Let's avoid the personal attacks - that's not a request, but a requirement of the CoC. All relevant posts are now invisible.

We're all wrong from time to time, gents. Accountability and ego go hand in hand; but try to be the exception to that rule, not a statistic corroborating it.

Cardinals RB William Powell suffered a head injury in the second half of Thursday night's loss to the Rams and didn't return.

Details of the injury were not available until today, and it appears Powell may have encountered a concussion. He has been the Cardinals' primary back in the no-huddle offense. Alfonso Smith replaced Powell against St. Louis. Powell now has ten days to get cleared before the Bills in Week 6.

lol

Cardinals RB William Powell suffered a head injury in the second half of Thursday night's loss to the Rams and didn't return.

Details of the injury were not available until today, and it appears Powell may have encountered a concussion. He has been the Cardinals' primary back in the no-huddle offense. Alfonso Smith replaced Powell against St. Louis. Powell now has ten days to get cleared before the Bills in Week 6.

lol

Hmmm, this is actually GOOD news, for those who felt bamboozled after Williams got hurt and Powell didn't play. At least there's a reason now. If he's healthy next week and Powell is out of action, the Bills might be a decent option. I might have to re-up on Powell just in case.

In the interest of refocusing discussion, let's see where we really are. I'll try to be objective here.

Positives: Wi-Po has been very productive in preseason action, and his lack of production in the past 2 games is largely a function of lack of opportunity, even with Beanie off the map. He had respectable output (7 yards) on the lone carry he was given last night, and 3 catches for 20 yards is pretty good when you consider how little he was actually on the field. He's a bit of enigma because he just hasn't had as much football experience as the average NFL pro, but he's clearly shown signs of having some natural athletic ability. One can't help but wonder what he could accomplish if the coaching staff would commit to giving him 20+ touches and just taking a shot with him. Somehow managing to go 4-0 was a magic carpet ride due primarily to special teams and defense, but the coaches have been served a wakeup call after losing to a division-foe Rams team that lost its best receiver mid-game and ended up winning with a makeshift lineup of rookies in key skill positions. Maybe such a wake-up call will inspire them to give a hungry guy like Powell a chance to play once they realize that they can't get far with a subpar running game in addition to erratic QB play.

Negatives: Regardless of his ability, no matter how you slice it, if his coaches aren't willing to give him touches, he can't be a fantasy factor. One has to wonder if his coaches are really that clueless, or if in reality he's just a good athlete who can only be effective in limited duty as a professional football player. Plenty of great athletes don't make it in their respective sports, whether football, basketball, or baseball, since intangibles and durability become big factors that can be unpredictable. Running backs tend to be a little less complicated than quarterbacks or wide receivers, but some running backs just have a knack for excelling at the pro game because of running instincts. It's why guys like Alfred Morris and Daryl Richardson and Arian Foster are able to leapfrog much higher draft picks. In addition the o-line and QB play are still obstacles even if he is given an opportunity. The fact that Powell was cut last year and has never been pursued by any other NFL team is perhaps evidence that he's a great athlete but not destined to be an elite starter.

Conclusion: Fantasy outlook is not bright for this year in light of how the coaches are deploying him and lackluster overall offensive play and o-line blocking. Still a terrific feel-good story if he can overcome the coaches and the offensive line, but he's a longshot and should be added or dropped as such.

[Whaa? Late breaking news: Concussion? Cripes, that changes everything. Sigh. Ok, quick & dirty: on the plus side, it gives an explanation for why he disappeared even after Ryan Williams went down. On the minus side, getting knocked out of a game with a concussion is never really a good thing. Conclusion: depends on severity. Hope is alive for Powell's biggest fans that there is now an explanation for his disappearing act last night, and if he can be healthy for the next game, maybe he can finally break out.]

Edited by bsong71
  • Like 2

that concussion news actually makes me feel better about him

maaaybe he is ahead of Smith and next in line, if he can get on the field

I thought Smith/Sherman took over for no reason other than he sucks ... mayhe not

7 yards a carry can no longer be ignored .... (half serious)

Edited by rraayy3

If his injury is minor this thread has potential to be very entertaining next week. If both him and Williams are going to miss next game I may have to go start a dumpster fire in the Alphonso Smith thread

Edited by owenmills

Hahah and just when you thought this thread was dying...

Honestly that is good news though for him having a chance at at least being semi relevant to discuss. That means he wasn't necessarily behind Alfonso Smith and Sherman which is what we thought after last night.

If he had not gotten hurt he would have rushed for 2 bills IMO.

I'm trying to decide what combination of things will result in maximum entertainment level in this thread. I think it's something like a kickoff return for a touchdown along with 2 catches for 10 yards and 1 rush for 2 yards. That will fuel both the "how do you keep this guy off the field? He's explosive" arguments along with the "he's not putting up RB stats" arguments. Here's hoping...

• Like 2

I'm trying to decide what combination of things will result in maximum entertainment level in this thread. I think it's something like a kickoff return for a touchdown along with 2 catches for 10 yards and 1 rush for 2 yards. That will fuel both the "how do you keep this guy off the field? He's explosive" arguments along with the "he's not putting up RB stats" arguments. Here's hoping...

Sounds like the David Wilson thread to me...

I'll bet $10,000 he isnt the first to score a TD

he might not even be the first RB to touch the ball.

You would need $10k and if that bet were to exist your $10k bet would probably only pay a couple hundred dollars therefore making it a ridiculously dumb bet.

You would need $10k and if that bet were to exist your $10k bet would probably only pay a couple hundred dollars therefore making it a ridiculously dumb bet.

Alright, I'll bet you $100 right now that he doesn't get the first touchdown next game.

Or how about this, if he doesn't do anything next game you stop talking about him? So far all you've offered is conjecture, and it's becoming increasingly irritating.

Edited by Giants4XChamps

Alright, I'll bet you $100 right now that he doesn't get the first touchdown next game.

Or how about this, if he doesn't do anything next game you stop talking about him? So far all you've offered is conjecture, and it's becoming increasingly irritating.

Then stay off the thread. I already said If he doesn't do anything once he gets his 10 touches i'll apologize.

Until then stop pretending to know anything about betting or Powell's situation.

• Like 1