NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

I was suspended this past week for violating the Rotoworld Forums Code of Conduct.

I'm shocked.

Also, your "analysis" of Powell is based 0% in fact ("almost certainly the better pass blocker- based on what? you got any evidence to support that?)

The fact that you acknowledge his horrible o-line and tout him as a RB2 with upside in the same sentence is laughable.

Take a lesson, kids, This is why you don't take things you read on RW beyond a grain of salt; no common sense requirements are needed to post.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

So the general consensus is Powell > Green? Got a solid waiver slot this week and I definitely want to pick up 1 of the 2.

No way. Green is the #1 claim this week.

Powell, I would say is about equal to Starks, both of which are worth a grab for sure if there's any way you can make room on your bench. Powell is the better pickup if he's able to play this week, otherwise Starks is.

So the general consensus is Powell > Green? Got a solid waiver slot this week and I definitely want to pick up 1 of the 2.

Powell, I would say is about equal to Starks, both of which are worth a grab for sure if there's any way you can make room on your bench. Powell is the better pickup if he's able to play this week, otherwise Starks is.

Josh Gordon is the number 1 claim this week, powell second and green third. green is equal to starks, starks knows the offense better.

Edited by JoshKnows46

Rotoworld is nice for updates but i must say there are so many flamers on this forum its ridiculous. If you play in 8-10-12 team leagues, yes players like William Powell are never going to be a factor. But people play in leagues that are 14-16 teams or more. Every player is highly scrutinzed and speculated on, in my highly competitive big money league I started Daryl Richardson and William Powell this past week as my only two RBs, (yes because of injuries/byes but still that is how thin it gets in competitive leagues). The type of people here that play in smaller leagues that feel the need to open threads like this just to flame others are the same type that miss out on players like Arian Foster and Miles Austin and claim they were unlucky. I hope William Powell is healthy and can take the job and run with it adding depth to my team in a very deep league, if not he can sit on my bench. Not a big deal.

• Like 3

The general consensus is Green>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Powell.

Josh Gordon is the number 1 claim this week, powell second and green third. green is equal to starks, starks knows the offense better.

Sorry to get off topic. But how is Gordon even in the same stratosphere as the RBs?? The kid only had 2 catches this week. And BOTH were because of blown coverages. Not to mention Brandon Weedon is throwing him the ball. Top waiver choice??? Wow.

Sorry to get off topic. But how is Gordon even in the same stratosphere as the RBs?? The kid only had 2 catches this week. And BOTH were because of blown coverages. Not to mention Brandon Weedon is throwing him the ball. Top waiver choice??? Wow.

wait and see, talk to me next week and in a few weeks....gordon is the number one wr on his team, weeden is better than greg little made him look the first few weeks with drop passes, they have a rb that demands 8-9 guys in the box, no safety help, gordon can continue to take the top off the defense, and he is weedens only target in the redzone....this offense is gonna be much better than what you think, they are young, but they are gonna keep improving as the season goes on. i've already seen marked improvements in gordon, trent and weeden. good luck with who ever you go with your first waiver, but if i didnt pick gordon up last week and start him on every team, he would be my first pick this week. starting him over dez bryant this week as well.

Edited by JoshKnows46

wait and see, talk to me next week and in a few weeks....gordon is the number one wr on his team, weeden is better than greg little made him look the first few weeks with drop passes, they have a rb that demands 8-9 guys in the box, no safety help, gordon can continue to take the top off the defense, and he is weedens only target in the redzone....this offense is gonna be much better than what you think, they are young, but they are gonna keep improving as the season goes on. i've already seen marked improvements in gordon, trent and weeden. good luck with who ever you go with your first waiver, but if i didnt pick gordon up last week and start him on every team, he would be my first pick this week.

He only caught 2 passes on 8 targets. That's a horrible conversion rate for a potent offense and QB you claim is making huge strides. I'm not saying Gordon isn't worth picking up. I'll make a bid on him in my league. But it's typical Roto hype train, getting all lathered up over a guy because of one big game. I'd take Powell over him this week. Breakout RBs don't come along very often, although I don't expect Powell to breakout. But I also am pretty sure there will be another Josh Gordon on the wire next week, a WR who blows up one week and disappears the next.

yeah, to get more off topic think now at point in season where can't laugh off guys crapping out anymore as just a lousy start, an unlucky draft choice might be permanent, so the hype on fliers is getting pretty, well, hyped, everyone digging hard hoping for WW gold.

wait and see, talk to me next week and in a few weeks....gordon is the number one wr on his team, weeden is better than greg little made him look the first few weeks with drop passes, they have a rb that demands 8-9 guys in the box, no safety help, gordon can continue to take the top off the defense, and he is weedens only target in the redzone....this offense is gonna be much better than what you think, they are young, but they are gonna keep improving as the season goes on. i've already seen marked improvements in gordon, trent and weeden. good luck with who ever you go with your first waiver, but if i didnt pick gordon up last week and start him on every team, he would be my first pick this week.

He only caught 2 passes on 8 targets. That's a horrible conversion rate for a potent offense and QB you claim is making huge strides. I'm not saying Gordon isn't worth picking up. I'll make a bid on him in my league. But it's typical Roto hype train, getting all lathered up over a guy because of one big game. I'd take Powell over him this week. Breakout RBs don't come along very often, although I don't expect Powell to breakout. But I also am pretty sure there will be another Josh Gordon on the wire next week, a WR who blows up one week and disappears the next.

i never said the offense was potent, i didnt say huge strides, i said they are improved, did you not watch them the first couple weeks? trent is healthy looks much faster than the first 2 weeks, gordon has finally hit the light switch, and weeden stopped throwing to little which halted drives, they are better than people think.....there will not be another josh gordon the rest of the season, the number 1 wr on his team, with that speed and size, with a rb that demands defenses to stack the box. do what you want, but if you dont get him on your team, you will regret it.

Edited by The Harsh
Personal attacks.

i never said the offense was potent, i said they improved, did you not watch them the first couple weeks? trent is healthy looks much faster than the first 2 weeks, gordon has finally hit the light switch, and weeden stopped throwing to little which halted drives, they are better than people think.....there will not be another josh gordon the rest of the season, the number 1 wr on his team, with that speed and size, with a rb that demands defenses to stack the box. do what you want, but if you dont get him on your team, you will regret it.

Cool. Let's revisit that thought in a month. For now if you want to get all lathered up about Gordon at least go do it in his thread. This one is reserved for waxing poetic about the man, the myth, the soon to be legend that is William Powell.

• Like 1

Checked out all Powell's box scores from the preseason, he killed it...He's got more upside than anyone else on the wire by far in my deep league.

I think the GB situation will be a muddled mess like last year, Benson had the talent to make it work there, but I don't think you'll see enough carries out of any of those guys to warrant a start.

William Powell could be lightning in a bottle, I'm going with him.

Checked out all Powell's box scores from the preseason, he killed it...He's got more upside than anyone else on the wire by far in my deep league.

I think the GB situation will be a muddled mess like last year, Benson had the talent to make it work there, but I don't think you'll see enough carries out of any of those guys to warrant a start.

What does preseason have to do with anything?????? He was facing 2nd and mostly 3rd string defenses in the preseason. That should not have any merit in this conversation. Go through the last 5 years and see who has been tops in preseason in rushing, last year Kendall Hunter, Da'rai Scott, Armond Smith. 2010 Anthony Dixon, Michael Bennett, Cedric Pearman. And the list goes on. More often then not the preseason rushing leader is a back up who gets a lot of 2nd half run in games against scrub defenses. So lets stop trying to act like that is any sort of accomplishment.....

What does preseason have to do with anything?????? He was facing 2nd and mostly 3rd string defenses in the preseason. That should not have any merit in this conversation. Go through the last 5 years and see who has been tops in preseason in rushing, last year Kendall Hunter, Da'rai Scott, Armond Smith. 2010 Anthony Dixon, Michael Bennett, Cedric Pearman. And the list goes on. More often then not the preseason rushing leader is a back up who gets a lot of 2nd half run in games against scrub defenses. So lets stop trying to act like that is any sort of accomplishment.....

It has a lot to do with everything...Those guys you listed are decent runners, I like Dixon, he's just never gotten the opportunity to run the rock.

It's all about opportunity man, we're not debating McCoy vs. Rice here...This is for serious deep league discussion only.

Powell has shown the ability to gain yardage, gained 7 on his first carry last week, also caught 3 passes, as he was the 3rd down back before Williams went down.

Larod can't hold up as a bellcow type, maybe we see a split between 3 backs (Smith too), who knows. But the guy with the most potential to breakout is Powell.

I'm not touting him as the next Arian Foster, but he does have the chance to bust out given his YPC in the preseason.

Just because those backups didn't get regular season carries doesn't mean they can't perform if given them...

We know for a fact that Kendall Hunter can perform well when given the workload.

Did you miss Cedric Peerman's one carry this season that he took for 48 yards vs. JAC?

If Benson were to go down, with Bernard Scott now out of the way, you'd be crazy to think that Cedric Peerman is automatically a chump just because he wasn't the starter at the beginning of the season.

Edited by dzemens

What are the odds that Alfonso Smith eats in to Powell? We have a $100 FAB budget in our 12 team highly competitive league, and I am thinking that either the GB mess or Arz mess may have the opportunity for best FAB value this year, trying to figure out how to spend my $$$ this week (also, I am the CedBen owner, so ick).

I think Powell probably has the best skill set of the 5 backs in play (Stars, Green, Powell, Smith, Hyphen) but I am also concerned about his O-line, but even more, his schedule. 2 games still to go against SF, 1 more against Seattle, and 1 more against the (suprisingly tough) Rams. Thats just in division!

I like Powell this week, but I am scared that his potential is a bit capped by schedule and line... man I just don't know!

Your "analysis" of Powell is based 0% in fact ("almost certainly the better pass blocker- based on what? you got any evidence to support that?)

The fact that you acknowledge his horrible o-line and tout him as a RB2 with upside in the same sentence is laughable.

Take a lesson, kids, This is why you don't take things you read on RW beyond a grain of salt; no common sense requirements are needed to post.

My analysis of Powell isn't based on fact?

Fact: Stellar production in preseason.

Fact: Knows the offense well after spending the past season on the Cardinals practice squad.

Fact: Weighs 22 lbs more than Hyphen (that might come into play when pass-blocking considering Hyphen is 185 lbs soaking wet)

Fact: While Hyphen was out, was given the 3rd-down role (probably wouldn't be given that if he was bad at pass protection)

Fact: Beat out Alphonso Smith to make the team's 53-man roster this season.

I'm confused about what facts you've got in your corner. Your only argument seems to be that up until now, Powell Wheels hasn't had many carries during the regular season. That's obviously no longer a problem, soooo...what exactly is your point?

A bad OL and a schedule that includes games against teams like the Niners, Seahawks, Bears and Vikings? No thank you.

That formula can still work decently for PPR leagues. If he ends up getting checked down to like he was at the end of the first half before his concussion, that will provide a solid baseline for points most weeks before even including any yardage/TDs.

It has a lot to do with everything...Those guys you listed are decent runners, I like Dixon, he's just never gotten the opportunity to run the rock.

It's all about opportunity man, we're not debating McCoy vs. Rice here...This is for serious deep league discussion only.

Powell has shown the ability to gain yardage, gained 7 on his first carry last week, also caught 3 passes, as he was the 3rd down back before Williams went down.

Larod can't hold up as a bellcow type, maybe we see a split between 3 backs (Smith too), who knows. But the guy with the most potential to breakout is Powell.

I'm not touting him as the next Arian Foster, but he does have the chance to bust out given his YPC in the preseason.

Good luck with Powell, got nothing against him just don't like that situation. To each is there own though.

Let's keep in mind that if a person disagrees, it doesn't mean he/she is "trolling." A polemic stance - going against the grain - while providing more than a one-line zinger, is a (potentially productive) transaction of ideas. It would be most beneficial to both parties to have an open mind towards all facts rather than being myopic.

Please stop throwing around ad hominems and straw mans; stick to the points being made, not the people making them.

Unless you're aiming solely for 100-yard rushing bonuses, I think William Powell easily qualifies as an RB2 with upside.

There's a good chance that because of the O-line, Powell will see frequent checkdowns this season. Do we really think that this version of Kolb that we've seen so far, suddenly throwing downfield with aplomb, is the Kolb we'll see for the rest of the season? I don't. I think if Kolb begins to feel that he has a legitimate checkdown option in Powell, he'll go to him more frequently as the season goes on. I don't think that Kevin Kolb will perform at a high level the rest of the season. When he begins to regress, I think that he'll revert to his Captain Checkdown tendencies, especially if he has a playmaker in Powell.

To me, it doesn't matter if my RB rushes for 50 yards and gets another 50 yards receiving and a receiving TD. That's still 100 yards and a TD. I'll happily take that from my RB2.

To me, his floor is basically Donald Brown. His ceiling is potentially much higher.

Also, there's absolutely no guarantee that Beanie Wells is coming back this season. Players are more and more frequently being IR'ed (for the ENTIRE season) for cases of turf toe. There's a *chance* that Wells will be ready to return later in the season, however that could very well be rushing his recovery and leave him vulnerable to re-injuring his toe. I'd say there's probably only a 20% chance at best that Wells returns this season.

The only reason they'd bring Wells back is if Powell can't handle the workload. If Powell can't handle the workload, we'll know that long before Wells is eligible to return, so Wells being activated won't come as a surprise - IF he does get activated.

Edited by Robrain

Let's keep in mind that if a person disagrees, it doesn't mean he/she is "trolling." A polemic stance - going against the grain - while providing more than a one-line zinger, is a (potentially productive) transaction of ideas. It would be most beneficial to both parties to have an open mind towards all facts rather than being myopic.

Please stop throwing around ad hominems and straw mans; stick to the points being made, not the people making them.

Eloquently put. You must be an English teacher.

Wi-Po is a gamble for people who are RB desperate or in deeeeeep leagues as far as I am concerned. I would be astonished if the time comes this season where anyone could feel assured that WiPo will put up 10 pts even. And thus I feel his value is low.

People really need to stop bringing up preseason stats. They mean nothing. Everyone can run on those vanilla defenses.

Exactly, using preseason stats for football is like trying to analyze baseball players based on there spring training stats. 100% worthless.