NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

People have provided the case for Powell being a better RB than LSH and Alphonso Smith. Agreed. Why isn't anyone answering the concussion question on William Powell ? Has NFL suddenly become lenient on concussions ? Just so you know, Jahvid Best is one of the best RBs today but his concussion is what is preventing him from playing. If there is any news that William Powell's injury is just a head injury and NOT a concussion, you have a clear winner here

A single concussion isn't really cause for concern. As stated above, the Cardinals beat reporter expects Powell to play this week - Powell gets 10 days instead of the normal 7 to clear concussion protocol because their game was on Thursday.

I could name a MASSIVE list of players who have received a concussion in the NFL. That does not make them comparable to Jahvid Best's concussion issues, not even close.

One concussion, especially a minor one, isn't something to be concerned over, as long as the player is cleared to play. Repeat concussions are where you start to get concerned.

So could I, everyone except punters and kickers.

• Like 1

I personally took LSH after debating which Arizona RB I wanted (and that actually answer to that question is NONE, but sometimes you have to deal with what's available). The O-line on Arizona is a complete mess. I'm in a PPR and Kick-return points league so LSH makes the most sense on that front. However, LSH is the biggest threat to take one to the house on any given play and he'll be in there for the plays where that is most likely to happen on a team with a crappy O-line (screens, passing downs). I know both these guys are going to give me crap games 80% of the time, with a rare TD saving me. So I want the guy who has a better shot at breaking that big play for a TD that saves my worthless flex spot. Powell is not that guy. Powell will give you Shonn Greene production, maybe... expect a lot of 15 carry 40 yard rushing days. If you are counting on that to help you in your fantasy season, it is already over for your team.

Whoever said Donald Brown as his floor? I'd say try more along the lines of his ceiling. Other than the Az Def and Fitz, this is a fantasy offense to avoid ENTIRELY. That said, due to 4 injuries I had this week I have no choice. So I'm rolling with LSH. Good to luck to everyone going after Powell... but do not believe for a second that any of these backs will be worth anything other than a prayer (not RB2 or even RB3, but RB4) on bye weeks.

Whoever said Donald Brown as his floor? I'd say try more along the lines of his ceiling.

I'm still waiting for someone to refute me with some actual numbers on this.

The following projections I made for Powell are exactly equal to Donald Brown's performance so far this season:

Week 1: 9 carries, 33 rushing yards / 2 receptions, 15 receiving yards + 1 general purpose TD [48 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 2: 7 carries, 20 rushing yards / 3 receptions, 25 receiving yards [45 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 3: 15 carries, 62 rushing yards / 4 receptions, 39 receiving yards [101 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 4: BYE

Week 5: 15 carries, 64 rushing yards / 4 receptions, 28 receiving yards [92 total yards]

48, 45, 101, 92 combined rushing/receiving yards each of those weeks (that's what Donald Brown has achieved).

That's 286 total rushing/receiving yards across 4 weeks.

That averages out to 71.5 combined rushing/receiving yards each week.

So that could be 50 rushing yards and 21.5 receiving yards.

Or 40 rushing yards and 31.5 receiving yards.

I'm really failing to see how that's an unachievable number for Powell. Rushing for 40 yards and picking up another 20-30 via checkdown passes seems like a no-brainer for a floor, even with a bad O-line.

• Like 1

People have provided the case for Powell being a better RB than LSH and Alphonso Smith. Agreed. Why isn't anyone answering the concussion question on William Powell ? Has NFL suddenly become lenient on concussions ? Just so you know, Jahvid Best is one of the best RBs today but his concussion is what is preventing him from playing. If there is any news that William Powell's injury is just a head injury and NOT a concussion, you have a clear winner here

A single concussion isn't really cause for concern. As stated above, the Cardinals beat reporter expects Powell to play this week - Powell gets 10 days instead of the normal 7 to clear concussion protocol because their game was on Thursday.

I could name a MASSIVE list of players who have received a concussion in the NFL. That does not make them comparable to Jahvid Best's concussion issues, not even close.

One concussion, especially a minor one, isn't something to be concerned over, as long as the player is cleared to play. Repeat concussions are where you start to get concerned.

So could I, everyone except punters and kickers.

I got a conussion just reading, around page 20 of this thread and probably my own post. But recently it's been a bit more relevant, I have been better but I still tend to have some lapses.

One huge concern is Powell's injury history. It could be a good thing if all unlrealed and purely bad luck but also a bad thing injury prone RBs aren't very. You never know, some kids make through High School without knowing how to read. Powell could have made it to the NFL in the same fashion. Dosen't change his stock as a lotto ticket though.

Since when did this thread turn into Robrain posting videos of players getting concussions??

I can post the video of Rocky Balboa knocking out Ivan Drago...I'm sure Drago had a concussion then. Must pick up Powell IMMEDIATELY!!!

This thread is looking a lot like the Jonathan Dwyer thread.

Pages and pages of hype from Robrain.

In a few weeks, it's going to be a ghost town like that one is.

Dwyer got turf toe and was fighting for carries with Isaac Redman, who the coaches kept feeding even when it was clear that Dwyer was outproducing Redman.

This more closely resembled the Dwyer situation after Wells was placed on I.R., but when Ryan Williams was still in the picture.

Ryan Williams getting removed from the picture gives Powell a much clearer path to touches than Dwyer had while fighting with Redman.

Dwyer had a shot to do something, but circumstances (coaching decisions + turf toe) really just kicked the legs out from under that.

Powell is currently in a better position than Dwyer ever was.

Since when did this thread turn into Robrain posting videos of players getting concussions??

I can post the video of Rocky Balboa knocking out Ivan Drago...I'm sure Drago had a concussion then. Must pick up Powell IMMEDIATELY!!!

That was in response to someone trying to compare Powell (after a single concussion) to Jahvid Best...

Whoever said Donald Brown as his floor? I'd say try more along the lines of his ceiling.

The following projections I made for Powell are exactly equal to Donald Brown's performance so far this season:

Week 1: 9 carries, 33 rushing yards / 2 receptions, 15 receiving yards + 1 general purpose TD [48 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 2: 7 carries, 20 rushing yards / 3 receptions, 25 receiving yards [45 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 3: 15 carries, 62 rushing yards / 4 receptions, 39 receiving yards [101 total yards - not including return yards]

Week 5: 15 carries, 64 rushing yards / 4 receptions, 28 receiving yards [92 total yards]

48, 45, 101, 92 combined rushing/receiving yards each of those weeks (that's what Donald Brown has achieved).

I'm really failing to see how that's an unachievable number for Powell. Rushing for 40 yards and picking up another 20-30 via checkdown passes seems like a no-brainer for a floor, even with a bad O-line.

I already addressed that on page 38 and you chose to ignore it.

Brown game by game 9 carries for 48 yards vs. Chicago, that is 5.3 YPC. The Bears are #2 in the NFL against the run and he actually was amassing good production before the Colts got down by so much that they had to abandon the run. It was 34-14 at the end of 3 and the game ended up with the Bears winning 41 to 21. Bears also dominated the time of possession 35:28 minutes to 24:32

Next game 16 carries for 45 yards vs. Minnesota. Minnesota is the #6 rush D in the NFL (using yards per game). They have proved to be extremely stout this season. Bad matchup that most people would bench a player like Brown vs. given the opponent.

Next game 18 carries for 62 yards, 1 catch for 39 yards. 101 totals yards vs. Jacksonville, a bad rush D ranked 29th in the NFL. The catch pretty much saved the line. The end numbers look solid but if I owned Brown I would of been disappointed with the 3.4 YPC in that matchup.

After bye week he comes out and gets 17 carries for 84 yards, 4.9 YPC and and 2 catches for 8 yards. Solid overall game vs. the 17 rush defense.

The Colts have some good matchups coming up in which Brown should be useful, NY JETS - 31st in NFL vs. the rush, Cleveland 26th in the NFL vs. the rush, Tennessee 28th in the NFL vs. the rush, Miami #1 (he should be benched vs. them), Jacksonville 29th in the NFL vs. the rush, New England #8 in NFL vs. the rush (probably bench game), Buffalo 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Detroit 13th in the NFL vs. the rush, Tennessee 28th in the NFL vs. the rush. Then he ends the year getting Houston twice which is top 10 and KC which is 22nd. So Brown has one of the best schedules for RB's left for this season if you play matchups with your running backs.

The Cardinals have one of the toughest schedules in the league the rest of the season in terms of rush defenses they will face. Plus he will not be the bell cow, at least right off the bat, he will be splitting reps, and have a piss poor offensive line in front of him. So how on gods green earth is going to breakout this season vs. this schedule:

Buffalo 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Minnesota 6th in the NFL vs. the rush (awful matchup), San Francisco (7th in the NFL vs. the rush, 1st last year - awful matchup), Green Bay 17th in the NFL vs. the rush, Atlanta 27th in the NFL vs. the rush, St. Louis (18th, but just man handled this horrific offensive line), New York Jets 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Seattle 3rd in the NFL vs. the rush, Detroit 13th in the NFL vs. the rush, Chicago 2nd in the NFL vs. the rush, San Francisco 7th in the NFL vs. the rush.

Bolded are the only matchups where an Arizona RB may be counted probably for fantasy purposes. Unless we see one of these backs clearly distinguish themselves as getting multi catches out of the backfield. But LSH has handled that role in the past for Arizona so I don't see how Powell all of a sudden goes from 4th string RB to bell cow RB who plays on every single down. At best this probably a time split between multi players and when you factor in the horrific offensive line + schedule it really puts on a damper on what expect from this situation.

I think difference between me and you is you may put more value on the label "starting RB" than me. I put more emphasis on having RB's on my roster that have a higher % of being the #1 ball carrier in there offense, and are also backed by at least a decent offensive line. I think you may put more value on the starting label thinking that with that label they should earn more opportunities thus having a % of success. That is where are thought process does not sync. I look at Arizona's offensive line and have a really hard time believing that anyone of these guys can clearly establish themselves as a starter in fantasy. I think best chance scenario is maybe one of these guys becomes worthy of like a desperate bye week fill in.

And with that I will bid farewell to this thread, my thoughts are clearly put all throughout this thread. I do not want to dampen anyones fun if they added this guy. One thing I will never do is call someone a troll for disagreeing with someone's point of view, you are better than that in your analysis to have to stoop that low robrain. Best of luck to those who invest in Powell, if he pans out then Foulline and Robrain deserve a lot of kudos from rotoworld users. If he does not, I am sure many people will be here to hammer you both :)

• Like 1

I already addressed that on page 38 and you chose to ignore it.

Brown game by game 9 carries for 48 yards vs. Chicago, that is 5.3 YPC. The Bears are #2 in the NFL against the run and he actually was amassing good production before the Colts got down by so much that they had to abandon the run. It was 34-14 at the end of 3 and the game ended up with the Bears winning 41 to 21. Bears also dominated the time of possession 35:28 minutes to 24:32

Next game 16 carries for 45 yards vs. Minnesota. Minnesota is the #6 rush D in the NFL (using yards per game). They have proved to be extremely stout this season. Bad matchup that most people would bench a player like Brown vs. given the opponent.

Next game 18 carries for 62 yards, 1 catch for 39 yards. 101 totals yards vs. Jacksonville, a bad rush D ranked 29th in the NFL. The catch pretty much saved the line. The end numbers look solid but if I owned Brown I would of been disappointed with the 3.4 YPC in that matchup.

After bye week he comes out and gets 17 carries for 84 yards, 4.9 YPC and and 2 catches for 8 yards. Solid overall game vs. the 17 rush defense.

The Colts have some good matchups coming up in which Brown should be useful, NY JETS - 31st in NFL vs. the rush, Cleveland 26th in the NFL vs. the rush, Tennessee 28th in the NFL vs. the rush, Miami #1 (he should be benched vs. them), Jacksonville 29th in the NFL vs. the rush, New England #8 in NFL vs. the rush (probably bench game), Buffalo 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Detroit 13th in the NFL vs. the rush, Tennessee 28th in the NFL vs. the rush. Then he ends the year getting Houston twice which is top 10 and KC which is 22nd. So Brown has one of the best schedules for RB's left for this season if you play matchups with your running backs.

The Cardinals have one of the toughest schedules in the league the rest of the season in terms of rush defenses they will face. Plus he will not be the bell cow, at least right off the bat, he will be splitting reps, and have a piss poor offensive line in front of him. So how on gods green earth is going to breakout this season vs. this schedule:

Buffalo 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Minnesota 6th in the NFL vs. the rush (awful matchup), San Francisco (7th in the NFL vs. the rush, 1st last year - awful matchup), Green Bay 17th in the NFL vs. the rush, Atlanta 27th in the NFL vs. the rush, St. Louis (18th, but just man handled this horrific offensive line), New York Jets 30th in the NFL vs. the rush, Seattle 3rd in the NFL vs. the rush, Detroit 13th in the NFL vs. the rush, Chicago 2nd in the NFL vs. the rush, San Francisco 7th in the NFL vs. the rush.

Bolded are the only matchups where an Arizona RB may be counted probably for fantasy purposes. Unless we see one of these backs clearly distinguish themselves as getting multi catches out of the backfield. But LSH has handled that role in the past for Arizona so I don't see how Powell all of a sudden goes from 4th string RB to bell cow RB who plays on every single down. At best this probably a time split between multi players and when you factor in the horrific offensive line + schedule it really puts on a damper on what expect from this situation.

I think difference between me and you is you may put more value on the label "starting RB" than me. I put more emphasis on having RB's on my roster that have a higher % of being the #1 ball carrier in there offense, and are also backed by at least a decent offensive line. I think you may put more value on the starting label thinking that with that label they should earn more opportunities thus having a % of success. That is where are thought process does not sync. I look at Arizona's offensive line and have a really hard time believing that anyone of these guys can clearly establish themselves as a starter in fantasy. I think best chance scenario is maybe one of these guys becomes worthy of like a desperate bye week fill in.

And with that I will bid farewell to this thread, my thoughts are clearly put all throughout this thread. I do not want to dampen anyones fun if they added this guy. One thing I will never do is call someone a troll for disagreeing with someone's point of view, you are better than that in your analysis to have to stoop that low robrain. Best of luck to those who invest in Powell, if he pans out then Foulline and Robrain deserve a lot of kudos from rotoworld users. If he does not, I am sure many people will be here to hammer you both :)

Just wanted to say kudos for that response regarding the numbers. I know you responded earlier regarding the defensive matchups each team had faced / is going to face, but I didn't recall you really hitting on Brown's production on a specific point by point basis.

I asked, and I received, which is actually what I was hoping for.

As your response is a bit lengthy, I'll read and respond to it properly a little later.

But thanks for responding to my numbers argument.

• Like 1

One huge concern is Powell's injury history. It could be a good thing if all unlrealed and purely bad luck but also a bad thing injury prone RBs aren't very. You never know, some kids make through High School without knowing how to read. Powell could have made it to the NFL in the same fashion. Dosen't change his stock as a lotto ticket though.

No one was worried about Ryan Williams being injury prone.

Powell got injured in college his senior year and a concussion last game. Honestly a few players a game get concussions, they just have more sense than to say something about it.

If Arizona gives Powell 15 carries, I'm sure they'll end up wanting to get him 20+ carries. He is by far the most dynamic back on the team. That includes a healthy Beanie Wells.

Here's what I'm thinking. A number of Wi-Po supporters have gone "all in" by staking their reputation to the idea that he is (a.) pickup of the year, (b.) an RB2 with upside, or (c.) a potential stud in the making with the FLOOR of a starting RB like Donald Jones. It sounds wild to some readers, but bear in mind that the hope here is that someone posting on a message board can make a name for himself and get a job with Rotoworld or, gasp, ESPN, both of whom have suggested that Powell is an average talent at best.

Hang in there with your superior insight! When you are proven right, all the hours spent posting will be worth it! As much as we'd love to have your talents in the field of medicine or alternative energy, you will have much more fun on Sportscenter when your bold predictions are finally proven true, and at the same time discrediting the professional writers ...

Despite making many bold predictions that have come true in the past on this forum and elsewhere ESPN nor rotworld have either asked for my services. So let's get real. You have been back and fourth on both sides with your sarcasm and criticism in this entire thread. Where do you stand? What is your prediction / analysis?

Many rotoworld members have called me an idiot in the past for my crazy claims. But for how often they come true, most eventually realize I don't just make up the things I say. I look at specific stats and actual game footage. The more I got into researching Powell the more excited I got about him.

Which is what annoys me the most about most of the haters, they don't research they just hate. They call grocery baggers on his preseason numbers, even thought they failed to witness how great of cut backs Powell makes.

Even if I'm wrong 3/4 of the times with my crazy outlandish claims, they will still pay off. What do you think the odds would be on calling the pick up of the year? Probably 10 to 1 on any given player... Powell probably more so.

If Powell doesn't do anything against Buffalo (plays but just sucks) then all the haters can come in here and "Hahaha you were wrong" me until their hearts are content. But let's get real and remember I'm talking about a week 4 pick up who isn't even a fantasy blip until going into week 6 (still only owned in 4% of Yahoo! leagues, we will see after Wed). So yeah it's easy to say some no name isn't good because chances are they aren't. But I don't just hype up any no names. Sure I've said some crazy things in the past but hey I get good on my money.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say kudos for that response regarding the numbers. I know you responded earlier regarding the defensive matchups each team had faced / is going to face, but I didn't recall you really hitting on Brown's production on a specific point by point basis.

I asked, and I received, which is actually what I was hoping for.

As your response is a bit lengthy, I'll read and respond to it properly a little later.

But thanks for responding to my numbers argument.

Cmilne23 is one of the few "anti-Powell" posters to actual come with an argument (instead of just blind hate) throughout this thread.

The following are all very good points and cannot be ignored. But there is a bit more to it.

Best of luck to those who invest in Powell, if he pans out then Foulline and Robrain deserve a lot of kudos from rotoworld users. If he does not, I am sure many people will be here to hammer you both :)

Haha yeah, won't be the first time. This is the game though. It's either put up or shut up for this thread after week 6. If Powell doesn't have a good game then drop the hammers.

• Like 1

No one was worried about Ryan Williams being injury prone.

Powell got injured in college his senior year and a concussion last game. Honestly a few players a game get concussions, they just have more sense than to say something about it.

If Arizona gives Powell 15 carries, I'm sure they'll end up wanting to get him 20+ carries. He is by far the most dynamic back on the team. That includes a healthy Beanie Wells.

There's no such thing.

Actually, most seem to forget how dynamic Beanie was when healthy. He had power and burst similar to Adrian Peterson until injuries took that away. But enough about Beanie. This thread is about New Beanie.

• Like 1

Whats better is that half of the haters actually take time out of their day to do research to prove that they are right and that William Powell is going to blow. Truth is no one has a clue, so keep wasting your time doing research on guys you are never going to pick up or roster. Waste of time and Effort.

• Like 1

Here's what I'm thinking. A number of Wi-Po supporters have gone "all in" by staking their reputation to the idea that he is (a.) pickup of the year, (b.) an RB2 with upside, or (c.) a potential stud in the making with the FLOOR of a starting RB like Donald Jones. It sounds wild to some readers, but bear in mind that the hope here is that someone posting on a message board can make a name for himself and get a job with Rotoworld or, gasp, ESPN, both of whom have suggested that Powell is an average talent at best.

Hang in there with your superior insight! When you are proven right, all the hours spent posting will be worth it! As much as we'd love to have your talents in the field of medicine or alternative energy, you will have much more fun on Sportscenter when your bold predictions are finally proven true, and at the same time discrediting the professional writers ...

Despite making many bold predictions that have come true in the past on this forum and elsewhere ESPN nor rotworld have either asked for my services. So let's get real. You have been back and fourth on both sides with your sarcasm and criticism in this entire thread. Where do you stand? What is your prediction / analysis?

Many rotoworld members have called me an idiot in the past for my crazy claims. But for how often they come true, most eventually realize I don't just make up the things I say. I look at specific stats and actual game footage. The more I got into researching Powell the more excited I got about him.

Which is what annoys me the most about most of the haters, they don't research they just hate. They call grocery baggers on his preseason numbers, even thought they failed to witness how great of cut backs Powell makes.

Even if I'm wrong 3/4 of the times with my crazy outlandish claims, they will still pay off. What do you think the odds would be on calling the pick up of the year? Probably 10 to 1 on any given player... Powell probably more so.

If Powell doesn't do anything against Buffalo (plays but just sucks) then all the haters can come in here and "Hahaha you were wrong" me until their hearts are content. But let's get real and remember I'm talking about a week 4 pick up who isn't even a fantasy blip until going into week 6 (still only owned in 4% of Yahoo! leagues, we will see after Wed). So yeah it's easy to say some no name isn't good because chances are they aren't. But I don't just hype up any no names. Sure I've said some crazy things in the past but hey I get good on my money.

I think that is where it can be irritating though and its not necessarily with you as a poster but fantasy analysis in general. When you hype up the flavor of the week's 100 times, inevitably one of them is going to eventually hit. And the other 99 fade away never to be heard from again, but nobody cares because that is what everyone expects them to do. It's the shotgun approach, its how a ton of fantasy analysts at the major sites make their living.

And as far as the hate you get, you gotta expect that when you make outlandish claims no? It comes with the territory. Honestly its entertaining and makes it more interesting when people actually go out on a limb with predictions rather than just playing it safe all the time. But if you just hype the flavor of the week every time and whiff at a 90% clip your just Brad Evans of Yahoo. It can be entertaining, but nobody is going to take anything you say seriously after awhile.

I agree with you, that would make his floor around 10-12 points in PPR, which would be great given the lack of depth most of us have that are reading this thread.

I agree with you, that would make his floor around 10-12 points in PPR, which would be great given the lack of depth most of us have that are reading this thread.

Yeah, it all looks good in theory...

But Ryan Williams was the UNQUESTIONED lead RB last week, against an terrible Rams rush defense (stat wise).

Ryan Williams got 3.8 fantasy points. (yes, he was injured in the 3rd quarter...but still 3.8 points)

Now you're expecting Powell, while splitting carries with 2 other backs...to have a FLOOR of 10 points??? All you have to do is look to last week and realize how incorrect that assumption is.

I like the guy, and he's a good speculative pick-up...but this Arizona offense, and more importantly joke of an offensive line is atrocious. To say his FLOOR is 10 points is just a little bit TOO optimistic for me.

Edited by UVA_Drew

But Ryan Williams was the UNQUESTIONED lead RB last week, against an terrible Rams rush defense (stat wise).

Ryan Williams got 3.8 fantasy points. (yes, he was injured in the 3rd quarter...but still 3.8 points)

Now you're expecting Powell, while splitting carries with 2 other backs...to have a FLOOR of 10 points??? All you have to do is look to last week and realize how incorrect that assumption is.

I like the guy, and he's a good speculative pick-up...but this Arizona offense, and more importantly joke of an offensive line is atrocious. To say his FLOOR is 10 points is just a little bit TOO optimistic for me.

Its possible, but I doubt he outperforms players like SJax, BJGE, Donald Brown (meh), Benson before he was hurt, etc. ROS. Not with that line. I could see something along the lines of Pierre Thomas type production but 10 as a floor is expecting quite a bit.

Yeah, but Ryan Williams stinks...Preseason or Reg Season, what has he ever done??

Its possible, but I doubt he outperforms players like SJax, BJGE, Donald Brown (meh), Benson before he was hurt, etc. ROS. Not with that line. I could see something along the lines of Pierre Thomas type production but 10 as a floor is expecting quite a bit.

10 as a floor in PPR, not standard scoring...It's not that hard for him to accomplish, we are talking a shade above Ronnie Brown type production.

• Like 1

My estimate is pretty obviously geared towards PPR leagues. Simply getting 2 receptions for 0 yards = 2 points, or 20% of the way to 10 points without gaining any yards.

At 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, without any TDs or return yards, Powell could hit 10 points with just 2 receptions and some combination of 80 rushing/receiving yards.

Or 4 receptions and some combination of 60 rushing/receiving yards.

And the difference between Powell and Ryan Williams is that Ryan Williams was not trusted to be a receiving back. That's why they had Powell pulling 3rd down / receiving back duties with Hyphen out of the lineup.

"Because running back Ryan Williams is not part of the no-huddle because of where he is in his development and William Powell does work in that package, Powell actually played more offensive snaps (34) than Williams (33) Sunday."

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/10/01/moving-on-with-a-short-week-and-other-notes/

Ryan Williams had 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 receptions during his 5 games this season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanwilliams/2495474/gamelogs

I think you could conservatively double those reception totals for Powell, seeing how they trust him in that role and Powell received 2 receptions and then 3 receptions in his last two games.

That would be a rough estimate for Powell to have 2.8 receptions per game. I'd personally round that up to an estimated 3 receptions per game average.

How Powell performs going forward will almost certainly be the deciding factor as to whether or not Hyphen eats into his weekly reception total. If Powell performs decently, I think a per game average of 3 receptions isn't out of the question. If he doesn't perform well, his reception total will be the least of your reasons for cutting him.

There's a lot of factors that I'm considering when taking into account Powell's projected usage. I'm looking at tougher defensive matchups (more dumpoffs), regression by Kolb (more dumpoffs), Powell's snap count increasing across the board (more chances of being the guy the dumpoff goes to the more downs he plays), and the Cardinals playing from behind enough to run their hurry up offense. I don't imagine that Hyphen will be on the field for every one of those situations, even when Hyphen is healthy.

And that's the other thing, hip/groin injuries can linger. There's no guarantee that Hyphen is ready to go full speed, that he's at 100%. Even if Hyphen plays, his primary asset is his quickness. If that's affected by his lingering injury, or he leaves the game early / needs to sit out snaps to rest because his groin/hip pain flares up, that means more snaps for Powell.

Powell's greatest value at this point is that he's in prime position to lead that backfield in carries/touches. What comes from that opportunity of course is what will determine his value for the rest of the season.

He suffered a concussion last week. Last weeks usage tells us nothing about his usage or situation going forward.