NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

Now you're expecting Powell, while splitting carries with 2 other backs...to have a FLOOR of 10 points??? All you have to do is look to last week and realize how incorrect that assumption is.

He suffered a concussion last week. Last weeks usage tells us nothing about his usage or situation going forward.

If you read my entire post, I wasn't saying to look at Powell's usage last week.

I said look at last week's game to see how Ryan Williams did. He was the unquestioned lead back going ito the game. Now you have Powell splitting carries with 2 other backs, and expect a FLOOR of triple what Ryan Williams got?? (against a poor run defense too). That's just silly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

Here's what I'm thinking. A number of Wi-Po supporters have gone "all in" by staking their reputation to the idea that he is (a.) pickup of the year, (b.) an RB2 with upside, or (c.) a potential stud in the making with the FLOOR of a starting RB like Donald Jones. It sounds wild to some readers, but bear in mind that the hope here is that someone posting on a message board can make a name for himself and get a job with Rotoworld or, gasp, ESPN, both of whom have suggested that Powell is an average talent at best.

Hang in there with your superior insight! When you are proven right, all the hours spent posting will be worth it! As much as we'd love to have your talents in the field of medicine or alternative energy, you will have much more fun on Sportscenter when your bold predictions are finally proven true, and at the same time discrediting the professional writers ...

Despite making many bold predictions that have come true in the past on this forum and elsewhere ESPN nor rotworld have either asked for my services. So let's get real. You have been back and fourth on both sides with your sarcasm and criticism in this entire thread. Where do you stand? What is your prediction / analysis?

Many rotoworld members have called me an idiot in the past for my crazy claims. But for how often they come true, most eventually realize I don't just make up the things I say. I look at specific stats and actual game footage. The more I got into researching Powell the more excited I got about him.

Which is what annoys me the most about most of the haters, they don't research they just hate. They call grocery baggers on his preseason numbers, even thought they failed to witness how great of cut backs Powell makes.

Even if I'm wrong 3/4 of the times with my crazy outlandish claims, they will still pay off. What do you think the odds would be on calling the pick up of the year? Probably 10 to 1 on any given player... Powell probably more so.

If Powell doesn't do anything against Buffalo (plays but just sucks) then all the haters can come in here and "Hahaha you were wrong" me until their hearts are content. But let's get real and remember I'm talking about a week 4 pick up who isn't even a fantasy blip until going into week 6 (still only owned in 4% of Yahoo! leagues, we will see after Wed). So yeah it's easy to say some no name isn't good because chances are they aren't. But I don't just hype up any no names. Sure I've said some crazy things in the past but hey I get good on my money.

I think that is where it can be irritating though and its not necessarily with you as a poster but fantasy analysis in general. When you hype up the flavor of the week's 100 times, inevitably one of them is going to eventually hit. And the other 99 fade away never to be heard from again, but nobody cares because that is what everyone expects them to do. It's the shotgun approach, its how a ton of fantasy analysts at the major sites make their living.

And as far as the hate you get, you gotta expect that when you make outlandish claims no? It comes with the territory. Honestly its entertaining and makes it more interesting when people actually go out on a limb with predictions rather than just playing it safe all the time. But if you just hype the flavor of the week every time and whiff at a 90% clip your just Brad Evans of Yahoo. It can be entertaining, but nobody is going to take anything you say seriously after awhile.

That's the thing who are all these flavors of the week?

Like I said I don't go around just hyping up anyone. I have reasons why I hype someone. I'm not saying I'm right all the time but I am right a lot of the times. Ontop of the fact that these aren't moves that will destroy your fantasy team.

But they are moves that can bring home the trophies. When I see a giy with insane upside who can be had for free of course I'm going to get excited. Then im going to do the rotoworld community the favor of giving them the heads up. Ridicule me for that.

But they are moves that can bring home the trophies. When I see a giy with insane upside who can be had for free of course I'm going to get excited. Then im going to do the rotoworld community the favor of giving them the heads up. Ridicule me for that.

Agreed. For a lot of teams in a lot of leagues that last one or two slots on the bench is marginal and can be replaced looking for upside. In my competitive 12 team league there are NO RBs on the wire that have a good shot to start. If you sleep on someone that has a chance, you will lose out on them.

• Like 1

ARI RB situation has got to be the worst in the league. Even when R.Williams and B.Wells were healthy and starting they didn't do squat. I wouldn't bother messing with any of the possible replacement candidates now, including W.Powell. The O-line just isn't opening up any room for any RB here to have success.

i don't think he's worth a #1 priority for the WW after suffering a concussion in week 5

I dont think hes worth the claim also because Wells will return this year too, and that schedule gets brutal towards the fantasy playoffs. Im trying to not be a hater just a realist that this situation in zona will be aweful this year, and possibly next until they seriously adress the offensive line

If you read my entire post, I wasn't saying to look at Powell's usage last week.

I said look at last week's game to see how Ryan Williams did. He was the unquestioned lead back going ito the game. Now you have Powell splitting carries with 2 other backs, and expect a FLOOR of triple what Ryan Williams got?? (against a poor run defense too). That's just silly.

Two different guys. I don't use words like floor, but I would not be surprised if he managed 75 yards in a game. Williams was really bad.

Rams defense is slightly underrated too, they've faced all good RBs so far except for Williams [Kevin Smith, Morris, Michael Bush (without Forte), and Lynch].

That said, Powell better show up big, because after a pretty good Buffalo matchup he goes against Min and SF. But yeah, he's definitely not a sure thing and could end up the same as Williams. But he could also turn into a RB2.

Don't burn a #1 waiver claim on him, but worth a pickup still. I bet in a couple leagues he may not even get picked up due to people going on LSH instead.

• Root Admin

Two different guys. I don't use words like floor, but I would not be surprised if he managed 75 yards in a game. Williams was really bad.

Rams defense is slightly underrated too, they've faced all good RBs so far except for Williams [Kevin Smith, Morris, Michael Bush (without Forte), and Lynch].

That said, Powell better show up big, because after a pretty good Buffalo matchup he goes against Min and SF. But yeah, he's definitely not a sure thing and could end up the same as Williams. But he could also turn into a RB2.

Don't burn a #1 waiver claim on him, but worth a pickup still. I bet in a couple leagues he may not even get picked up due to people going on LSH instead.

Just so folks understand, if he averaged 75 total yards/gm that would be the equivalent of what Beanie averaged last year. So to believe that you have to assume one of a couple different scenarios: 1. Powell is the equivalent of Wells in the coach's eyes and will get the same opportunities 2. Powell is better than Wells and outproduce him with less opportunities. All of this with arguably a tougher schedule, an OL that is probably worse than last year, no track record, and some competition for touches. Not saying it can't happen, folks should just ensure what kind of analytical projections they come up with before spending a waiver claim on him.....

If you look back at page one of this thread a few folks listed the two things that needed to happen for Powell to even approach fantasy relevance. Those two things have happened and it's still a crap shoot with anything in the Zona backfield. I own him in one deeper league so it should be interesting to see if he can carve out a 15 touch role in Beanie's absence. Hope so, but not expecting it.....

• Like 2

Just so folks understand, if he averaged 75 total yards/gm that would be the equivalent of what Beanie averaged last year. So to believe that you have to assume one of a couple different scenarios: 1. Powell is the equivalent of Wells in the coach's eyes and will get the same opportunities 2. Powell is better than Wells and outproduce him with less opportunities. All of this with arguably a tougher schedule, an OL that is probably worse than last year, no track record, and some competition for touches. Not saying it can't happen, folks should just ensure what kind of analytical projections they come up with before spending a waiver claim on him.....

If you look back at page one of this thread a few folks listed the two things that needed to happen for Powell to even approach fantasy relevance. Those two things have happened and it's still a crap shoot with anything in the Zona backfield. I own him in one deeper league so it should be interesting to see if he can carve out a 15 touch role in Beanie's absence. Hope so, but not expecting it.....

I wouldn't expect too much either, but to be fair, the post you quoted actually said "I would not be surprised if he managed 75 yards in a game" nor "per game." If Powell can get on the field and actually get carries against Buffalo's sieve rush D, this weekend could be that game. The following 2 weeks against Minny and San Fran? Er, not so much.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think this is a fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me kind of thing. STL was giving up 4.7 yards a carry before their tilt and the O-line couldn't open any holes at all. ARZ's 4-1 record is starting to look like a mirage and BUF is going to be pissed after the last couple games. I get this bad feeling we start Powell and he gives us 4-5 points. Like Einstein said, we keep doing the same thing over again expecting different results.

I'm having a hard time grasping at how professional NFL linemen get tossed around like rag dolls on EVERY play like they did last game. Just boggles the mind.

I love this thread. Basically, it seems to look like this. A handful of folks got excited about Wi-Po, who by all means is a feel good story considering his personal history. At a time when there's famine in Europe, fantasy football gives us a welcome relief where we can find solace in discovering a waiver wire pickup that becomes the next Victor Cruz and carries us to victory.

Initially, the remarks were along the lines of: "He could be worth a speculative pickup if you've got a useless player at the end of your bench."

When challenged, the heels got dug in. The speculative pickup became the next sensation just waiting to be the next superstar if only the Arizona coaching staff had the wisdom of Rotoworld message board addicts. That speculative pickup became the best pickup of the season, or at the very least an RB2 with upside. Somebody to be mentioned in the same breath as Arian Foster.

For the record, I own William Powell in 2 leagues now. I could not resist. But I don't think he'll ever see my starting lineup. But man, 41 pages on a guy who's had 3 carries (and 5 catches) in his entire NFL career? The difference with Legatron is that people here are seriously looking for something huge from Wi-Po, while Greg was just a fun diversion because for once in an eon, there was a kicker that was actually somewhat distinguishable from the rest of the universe.

Of course Powell got a concussion when Ryan Williams went down. That is how you know there is a God, or some higher power, because that was the one sure way to keep this debate outpacing all other players in the entire NFL. The HOPE! The POTENTIAL!

I really hope he does it. I'm not holding my breath, but man, goshdarn it, I sure would hate to drop him just before he explodes.

• Like 2

I love this thread. Basically, it seems to look like this. A handful of folks got excited about Wi-Po, who by all means is a feel good story considering his personal history. At a time when there's famine in Europe, fantasy football gives us a welcome relief where we can find solace in discovering a waiver wire pickup that becomes the next Victor Cruz and carries us to victory.

Initially, the remarks were along the lines of: "He could be worth a speculative pickup if you've got a useless player at the end of your bench."

When challenged, the heels got dug in. The speculative pickup became the next sensation just waiting to be the next superstar if only the Arizona coaching staff had the wisdom of Rotoworld message board addicts. That speculative pickup became the best pickup of the season, or at the very least an RB2 with upside. Somebody to be mentioned in the same breath as Arian Foster.

For the record, I own William Powell in 2 leagues now. I could not resist. But I don't think he'll ever see my starting lineup. But man, 41 pages on a guy who's had 3 carries (and 5 catches) in his entire NFL career? The difference with Legatron is that people here are seriously looking for something huge from Wi-Po, while Greg was just a fun diversion because for once in an eon, there was a kicker that was actually somewhat distinguishable from the rest of the universe.

Of course Powell got a concussion when Ryan Williams went down. That is how you know there is a God, or some higher power, because that was the one sure way to keep this debate outpacing all other players in the entire NFL. The HOPE! The POTENTIAL!

I really hope he does it. I'm not holding my breath, but man, goshdarn it, I sure would hate to drop him just before he explodes.

best post of this thread.

seriously. He's sitting on my WW for free right now, and I'm not buying. I'll take Blount, Wilson, DRich and Best over an unproven back with a high school caliber o-line anyday.

inb4 RW forum "experts" try to make some baseless argument of why he's the next MVP :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Powell is a better pass catcher, so realistically he could get 40-50 yards on the ground and 3 catches for 25-35 yards and hit 10 points in PPR.

I don't get the hate, if you don't like him, don't pick him up. In a really deep league, where all the other options are gone, there is potentially a starting RB on the wire, which is completely impossible to find at this point in the season.

Please forgive us for getting excited, please go back to your 10 team league with 4 bench spots, and wait until Sunday to come back on this thread and ridicule the Pro-Bill Powell playas.

I just couldnt bring myself to pick up some in fantasy football with the name William Powell. It's like someone with a name like......Jackie Battle :)

Different person....same meager results

Edited by nonstopfan

I just couldnt bring myself to pick up some in fantasy football with the name William Powell. It's like someone with a name like......Jackie Battle :)

Different person....same meager results

would you pick him up if his name was

DeMario, Jamaal, TyAndre, Nico, Deandre, Marcus, Dorian, TaShawn? :P

• Like 1