NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

In all seriousness, as bad as their O-Line is and barring a trade for another RB, I can potentially see Stephens-Howling being used much like Sproles going forward. In PPR, certainly worth a roster stash.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

I don't get the hate, if you don't like him, don't pick him up. In a really deep league, where all the other options are gone, there is potentially a starting RB on the wire, which is completely impossible to find at this point in the season.

Please forgive us for getting excited, please go back to your 10 team league with 4 bench spots, and wait until Sunday to come back on this thread and ridicule the Pro-Bill Powell playas.

This thread has been amazing for hate, it doesn't even have to be WiPo, Josh Gordon's name came up and people started ripping each other, it's actually weird how much anger happens in here. Every time a reasonable, informed, respectful discussion about WiPo gets going, some errant piece of rage comes randomly sailing across the thread like a Blaine Gabbert pass.

Actually been brooding on why there's so much anger and overreaction in this thread-- maybe it's because Powell is such a nebulous figure that he's more like a symbol of something than an actual player so people read extra into the situation. As someone noted a while back, even when an article focused on the guy they still couldn't get his name right, it's like he only partially exists, in the fantasy community he really is more of a myth than reality. I'd bust out "The Golden Bough" and Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey" but am too lazy right now, all remember is that a hero emerges from humble beginnings, goes on an epic quest which includes the underworld, and then a mob of villagers murder him just so they can bring him back to life again. As an ancient scholar (I think it was Steve Sabol) once said, "Myth is what never was but always is" and that's been Wipo for much of this thread, a semi-legendary sounding board who echoes either extravagant hopes or absolute disdain. I hope for Powell, his family, and the guys touting him he makes it big in reality, but then again I kind of hope he never plays. He may or may not be all that as a running back but he's one hell of a myth. Stay golden WiPo.

(yeah have had too much coffee, am overtired from an ongoing family crisis, aren't y'all lucky using this thread as a distraction :rolleyes: )

• Like 3

Anyone heard any rumors about the Cards trading or picking up Ivory, Cadillac Williams, Steve Slaton, or Tim Hightower? If the deal goes down do you think it would happen this week?

There hasn't been any rumors, other than thoughts from beat writers...I don't see them making a move with 3 backs on the roster, maybe if injuries strike further, but for now, I think they confidence in the Hyphen and Powell.

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on SportsCenter Wednesday that William Powell will "likely" get the first crack at replacing Ryan Williams as the Cardinals' lead ball carrier.

"Unfamiliar name right now to some people," Schefter said of Powell, "but he did lead the NFL in rushing this preseason, and there's a buzz in the Cardinals' organization about him. The players believe he can do it. He'll have to prove he can during the regular season. But there are some people in the Cardinals' organization who believe Powell can get the job done for Arizona."

In your face haters...Guess the preseason means something to Shefter too, huh...Interesting.

Let the hype train roll on...ChooChoo

• Like 1

I don't get the hate, if you don't like him, don't pick him up. In a really deep league, where all the other options are gone, there is potentially a starting RB on the wire, which is completely impossible to find at this point in the season.

Please forgive us for getting excited, please go back to your 10 team league with 4 bench spots, and wait until Sunday to come back on this thread and ridicule the Pro-Bill Powell playas.

This thread has been amazing for hate, it doesn't even have to be WiPo, Josh Gordon's name came up and people started ripping each other, it's actually weird how much anger happens in here. Every time a reasonable, informed, respectful discussion about WiPo gets going, some errant piece of rage comes randomly sailing across the thread like a Blaine Gabbert pass.

Actually been brooding on why there's so much anger and overreaction in this thread-- maybe it's because Powell is such a nebulous figure that he's more like a symbol of something than an actual player so people read extra into the situation. As someone noted a while back, even when an article focused on the guy they still couldn't get his name right, it's like he only partially exists, in the fantasy community he really is more of a myth than reality. I'd bust out "The Golden Bough" and Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey" but am too lazy right now, all remember is that a hero emerges from humble beginnings, goes on an epic quest which includes the underworld, and then a mob of villagers murder him just so they can bring him back to life again. As an ancient scholar (I think it was Steve Sabol) once said, "Myth is what never was but always is" and that's been Wipo for much of this thread, a semi-legendary sounding board who echoes either extravagant hopes or absolute disdain. I hope for Powell, his family, and the guys touting him he makes it big in reality, but then again I kind of hope he never plays. He may or may not be all that as a running back but he's one hell of a myth. Stay golden WiPo.

(yeah have had too much coffee, am overtired from an ongoing family crisis, aren't y'all lucky using this thread as a distraction :rolleyes: )

That was an unexpected nugget on this forum...I liked it...I imagined the fuel for that anecdote was perhaps some of the same octane used by yer avatar.

For me, Powell, like Williams before him, is the promise of the ever elusive, Lightning in a Bottle...He has potential. Every year there is someone who comes from nowhere to make an impact. Blount a few years ago. Murray last year. Jamal Charles in 09, Steve Slaton 08...These guys happen. Guess right, and it can change yer season.

I have Powell and I'm hoping this is the 2012 Steve Slaton.

• Like 1

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on SportsCenter Wednesday that William Powell will "likely" get the first crack at replacing Ryan Williams as the Cardinals' lead ball carrier.

"Unfamiliar name right now to some people," Schefter said of Powell, "but he did lead the NFL in rushing this preseason, and there's a buzz in the Cardinals' organization about him. The players believe he can do it. He'll have to prove he can during the regular season. But there are some people in the Cardinals' organization who believe Powell can get the job done for Arizona."

In your face haters...Guess the preseason means something to Shefter too, huh...Interesting.

If he gets met in the backfield after every handoff then what is the point?

You're only reading what you want to read don't you? Stop your selective reading and read the entire article. Schefter also says that he still has to prove it during the regular season. Preseason is over. And who cares what the Cardinals think? This is the same organization that thinks Beenie Wells en Ryan Williams are starting caliber RB's. An organization that thought Kevin Kolb was a franchise QB.

For anyone who believes in karma: after the somewhat lengthy Brown vs. Powell debate in here, Rotoworld posts back-to-back news items, one talking about how there's a buzz about Powell not only in the Cardinals organization but amongst the players, and the other reporting that Brown will miss 2-3 weeks after a knee scope.

Please see roster in sig below and do NOT debate Powell vs. any of those RBs (except perhaps Quizz, who I'm getting kind of fed up with anyway) in this thread. Thank you in advance...

• Like 1

You're only reading what you want to read don't you? Stop your selective reading and read the entire article. Schefter also says that he still has to prove it during the regular season. Preseason is over. And who cares what the Cardinals think? This is the same organization that thinks Beenie Wells en Ryan Williams are starting caliber RB's. An organization that thought Kevin Kolb was a franchise QB.

LOL...Who cares what the Cardinals organization thinks?? What type of logic is this?

They believe in him, and will give him the carries, that's all I am looking for...Let's see how he does on Sunday.

Might take a flier on the kid...

Though, I'd temper my expectations because over the next 5 weeks, as he's effectively useless in 3 of those weeks (MIN, SF, bye). Then Beanie is due back, and even though I hate Beanie, the Cards org does weird things, so they'd probably just plug Beanie back in.

But, ya never know, and maybe Bill Powell lights the world on fire.

For anyone who believes in karma: after the somewhat lengthy Brown vs. Powell debate in here, Rotoworld posts back-to-back news items, one talking about how there's a buzz about Powell not only in the Cardinals organization but amongst the players, and the other reporting that Brown will miss 2-3 weeks after a knee scope.

Please see roster in sig below and do NOT debate Powell vs. any of those RBs (except perhaps Quizz, who I'm getting kind of fed up with anyway) in this thread. Thank you in advance...

Jesus christ, you roster 23 players?? I thought our league of 19 was a lot...I can understand it a bit, because it's a dynasty league, but still, that's kind of overboard, don't you think?

LOL, I think that's the first time in all my years of posting in fantasy sports forums that I've seen someone say "who cares what a player's own organization thinks about him". That could at least lead to opportunity, and that's the first step. For a waiver wire pickup, that's potentially an NFL starting RB who's a matchup play on the very cheap. And besides, Beanie had 1,000 yards and 10 TDs last year, so they weren't TOO far off on him, at least when he's healthy.

Jesus christ, you roster 23 players?? I thought our league of 19 was a lot...I can understand it a bit, because it's a dynasty league, but still, that's kind of overboard, don't you think?

It's actually 22 rostered and 2 taxi squad players. And it's perfect for me, I absolutely love the format.

It's actually 22 rostered and 2 taxi squad players. And it's perfect for me, I absolutely love the format.

I'm sure...Sounds like fun. Makes those bragging rights for waiting on a guy to pan out all the more worthwhile.

I'm sure...Sounds like fun. Makes those bragging rights for waiting on a guy to pan out all the more worthwhile.

And that late third round rookie pick of Arian Foster instead of Glenn Coffee all the sweeter! :D

raise your hand if you are tired of seeing the name William Powell. Sounds like a History professor. How about going forward, we call Mr. Powell.....

Will Power

:)

Edited by nonstopfan

LOL, I think that's the first time in all my years of posting in fantasy sports forums that I've seen someone say "who cares what a player's own organization thinks about him". That could at least lead to opportunity, and that's the first step. For a waiver wire pickup, that's potentially an NFL starting RB who's a matchup play on the very cheap. And besides, Beanie had 1,000 yards and 10 TDs last year, so they weren't TOO far off on him, at least when he's healthy.

Who else do they have? And do you really expect the team to say "man this player sucks so bad, we should not even play him"?There's a reason he's on their roster. But coaches always hype up their own players. As a Packers fan I've seen our coaches hype up so many players that aren't even on the team anymore.

If this guy is so good as the team makes him out to believe he is you would expect him to immediately take over after Beanie went down right? No because this same organization also though that Ryan Williams would do an adequate job of replacing Beanie. So yea, excuse me for taking what this team says with a big grain of salt.

Edited by Sine_cera

Might take a flier on the kid...

Though, I'd temper my expectations because over the next 5 weeks, as he's effectively useless in 3 of those weeks (MIN, SF, bye). Then Beanie is due back, and even though I hate Beanie, the Cards org does weird things, so they'd probably just plug Beanie back in.

But, ya never know, and maybe Bill Powell lights the world on fire.

Beanie won't be back until at least week 12, and more than likely, not until next season. Turf toe, severe enough to immediately go on IR, is almost certainly season-ending.