NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

He's got 2 things going for him this week:

1. It's the Bills 31st ranked rush D

2. They're at home.

Now with those two factors, I MIGHT think about playing him. Just watching that line get blown up last week on every single run is hardly a confidence boost. If Powell is going to do anything this year it will be this week, cuz it sure as hell ain't going to be against Minny or SF the next 2 weeks.

Guys again, Arizona has played some of the best rush stopping defenses in the league ontop of Ryan Williams and Beanie Wells are nothing more than average run of the mill running backs. Also Arizona abandoned the run in every game far too fast to give it much of a chance. That won't be the case against Buffalo.

Again I'm not saying this line is a great line, but a below average to average line, yes. They are by no means a bottom 5 offensive line in the league. Let alone the worst line in the league, which many come in here and say they certainly are. Last year Arizona averaged 4.2 yards a carry for 17th in the league.

If Arizona puts up big rushing numbers against Buffalo they will all of a sudden be in the middle of the pack for rush yards gained per game and rush yards per attempt.

With all due respect man, you are losing credibility every time you talk about there offensive line and it makes it look like you are grasping for straws.

They had Levi Brown last year, who in the 2nd half graded out as one of the better left tackles in the league, that is when Arizona's run game really starting coming together (and why he got a big contract extension in the offseason), hence why they went on a little late season run last year, he is lost for the season. They also started a different right tackle. Since then they are starting some free agent off the streets loser who ranks as one of the worst lineman in the league, and a rookie in Massie who was a late round pick and was considered a complete project but has been thrust into action must earlier than expected and is taking his lumps. They are easily the worst line in the league, anyone who has watched a Cardinals game this year can attest to it, Cardinal fans attest to it -- go read there team message boards on espn and blog pages elsewhere. I think you are the last person to really grasp that.

FoulLine, I think there are credibility issues here since you you blasted "naysayers" 30 pages ago for not providing facts or reasoning in their assertions.

In the spirit of being rigorous in our facts and reasoning, since you have stated that Arizona's o-line is "by no means" bottom 5, are you willing to name five o-lines that you think are worse?

it's not possible to reason with foulline, as he's convinced that powell is in the same class as arian foster, priest holmes, terrell davis, and so on. moreover, he strongly believes that beanie and rywill both suck. therefore, he attributes the lack of production in arizona to poor rb play, poor matchups, and poor coaching decisions. we will soon find out if he's better at assessing talent than ken whisenhunt and the rest of the cardinals' coaching staff... foulline's cred is indeed on the line

I dunno, I just got a chance to peruse the previous posts that have been referenced: These sound like extremely compelling facts to determine regular season fantasy dominance:

1. They both went undrafted.

2. Neither was the starting RB1.

3. They both lead the preseason in rushing.

4. They both had extremely high yards per rush in preseason.

It's funny because based on 2010 stats (Foster's rookie year and the preseason that is being touted to compare Powell to), Anthony Dixon, Michael Bennet, Cedric Peerman, Jonathan Dwyer, and Jackie Battle had more preseason rushing yards than Foster's 169 yards.

Of those backs, Cedric Peerman (entering his sophomore season) actually had more yards (201 yards) AND a higher rushing ypc than Foster (6.5 vs 6.0).

Sounds like a sound sleeper-finding system to me...Cause the preseason always translates to regular season success right?

Edited by ColtsBaby!!

He's got 2 things going for him this week:

1. It's the Bills 31st ranked rush D

2. They're at home.

Now with those two factors, I MIGHT think about playing him. Just watching that line get blown up last week on every single run is hardly a confidence boost. If Powell is going to do anything this year it will be this week, cuz it sure as hell ain't going to be against Minny or SF the next 2 weeks.

Guys again, Arizona has played some of the best rush stopping defenses in the league ontop of Ryan Williams and Beanie Wells are nothing more than average run of the mill running backs. Also Arizona abandoned the run in every game far too fast to give it much of a chance. That won't be the case against Buffalo.

Again I'm not saying this line is a great line, but a below average to average line, yes. They are by no means a bottom 5 offensive line in the league. Let alone the worst line in the league, which many come in here and say they certainly are. Last year Arizona averaged 4.2 yards a carry for 17th in the league.

If Arizona puts up big rushing numbers against Buffalo they will all of a sudden be in the middle of the pack for rush yards gained per game and rush yards per attempt.

With all due respect man, you are losing credibility every time you talk about there offensive line and it makes it look like you are grasping for straws.

They had Levi Brown last year, who in the 2nd half graded out as one of the better left tackles in the league, that is when Arizona's run game really starting coming together (and why he got a big contract extension in the offseason), hence why they went on a little late season run last year, he is lost for the season. They also started a different right tackle. Since then they are starting some free agent off the streets loser who ranks as one of the worst lineman in the league, and a rookie in Massie who was a late round pick and was considered a complete project but has been thrust into action must earlier than expected and is taking his lumps. They are easily the worst line in the league, anyone who has watched a Cardinals game this year can attest to it, Cardinal fans attest to it -- go read there team message boards on espn and blog pages elsewhere. I think you are the last person to really grasp that.

FoulLine, I think there are credibility issues here since you you blasted "naysayers" 30 pages ago for not providing facts or reasoning in their assertions.

In the spirit of being rigorous in our facts and reasoning, since you have stated that Arizona's o-line is "by no means" bottom 5, are you willing to name five o-lines that you think are worse?

it's not possible to reason with foulline, as he's convinced that powell is in the same class as arian foster, priest holmes, terrell davis, and so on. moreover, he strongly believes that beanie and rywill both suck. therefore, he attributes the lack of production in arizona to poor rb play, poor matchups, and poor coaching decisions. we will soon find out if he's better at assessing talent than ken whisenhunt and the rest of the cardinals' coaching staff... foulline's cred is indeed on the line

I share the opinion that Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams "both suck". But it's for valid reasons.

Beanie Wells has been injured numerous times, plus for 2009/2010 he was mired in a timeshare with Hightower/Howling. For fantasy, that's just not something you should voluntarily want to be a part of.

Beanie Wells injuries are very similar to Hakeen Nicks. Nicks blasts off for one huge game (like Beanie did last season), then is hardly a factor the rest of the way because of his nagging/lingering/constant injuries.

For fantasy purposes, because of the reasons I've just explained, Beanie Wells has sucked.

And that's not even getting into the O-line problems.

Ryan Williams didn't play last year. So me saying Ryan Williams sucks (since pretty much the beginning of the season) entirely has to do with the big obvious factor: he's a RB coming off a major knee injury/surgery. That's not a factor you should ever take lightly. A torn / reconstructed patella tendon is not some small factor for a RB. We don't know if Ryan Williams was really in that good of shape because of the rehab he had to go through for his knee this whole time - was he in football shape going into the regular season as far as wind/strength for the rest of his body?

Ryan Williams stated himself numerous that he was extremely worried about his knee, even after his shoulder injury he admitted that he was still working his way back from the knee injury. He was timid while running because of it.

If you came up to me and said "hey, I'll trade you this RB, who's never played in the NFL during a regular season yet, who tore his patella tendon last season, is still in the process of coming back/rehabbing from that surgery, is only the starter right now because the actual starter just got put on I.R. because of an injury, and himself has admitted that he's timid while running because he doesn't trust his knee..."

...what would your first thought be? Mine would be "This dude is going to suck."

It has nothing to do with who the player is, whether his name is Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams, or Adrian Peterson. I'm going to be extremely skeptical of any player coming off a major injury until they prove that they are past it. More often than not, that's the right stance to have on major injuries when projecting fantasy outlooks.

The point is, William Powell doesn't have any recent injury redflags (a single concussion is not a redflag - multiple concussions would be).

So in a comparison between Wells, Williams, and Powell, I believe that lack of any recent major injuries gives Powell a much stronger chance to be fantasy relevant than Wells or Williams had coming into this season.

Injury concerns were by far the #1 reason I liked Powell going into the season. Not so much because Wells or Williams wasn't talented pre-injury, but because there was no guarantee they were 100%, and imo, a player playing injured basically = "sucks".

• Root Admin

Is Howlings definitely playing? If it's just him on Sunday, have to think he could do some decent damage against the Bills and also at home. He's pretty active in the passing game as well.

LSH is tentatively expected to play. He practiced yesterday and was encouraged by his progress. Unless he has a setback the next few days, I would assume he'll play most of his 3rd downs and participate in the expected committee.....What sucks for Powell is that b/c the Cards OL is so bad at run blocking that he may have helped make some contributions in the passing game to offset the expected poor rushing production. With LSH probable to be back, you would think most of those opportunities will go to him now....

• Like 1

I'm pretty positive that Powell will break 100 yard rushing vs. the Bills this week if he gets more than 12 carries.

I like Powell vs. BUF this week more than Vick Ballard vs. NYJ.

Anyway, also this:

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/10/11/getting-offensive-against-the-bills/

"The Bills have given up more than 1,200 yards the past two games against the Patriots and 49ers. The 49ers became the first team ever to pass for 300 yards and rush for 300 yards in a single game. “It stinks right now,” defensive tackle Kyle Williams told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. “We stink. We have stunk the past two weeks.” The Bills are allowing almost 172 rushing yards a game. The Cardinals are only rushing for 63 yards a game, and will rely on three running backs who won’t supposed to be a major part of the equation."

It's like it'll be the Immovable Object (Cardinals run game) vs. the Completely Penetrable Sieve (Bills DEF).

I'm betting Powell will be the difference factor that will kick the Card's run game up a notch or three.

Is Howlings definitely playing? If it's just him on Sunday, have to think he could do some decent damage against the Bills and also at home. He's pretty active in the passing game as well.

LSH is tentatively expected to play. He practiced yesterday and was encouraged by his progress. Unless he has a setback the next few days, I would assume he'll play most of his 3rd downs and participate in the expected committee.....What sucks for Powell is that b/c the Cards OL is so bad at run blocking that he may have helped make some contributions in the passing game to offset the expected poor rushing production. With LSH probable to be back, you would think most of those opportunities will go to him now....

Thanks, Bateman.

I'll keep checking throughout the next few days. Obviously like Powell a lot more if LSH sits. We'll see.

I was suspended this past week for violating the Rotoworld Forums Code of Conduct.

Otherwise this thread would be at least 50 pages long by now.

William Powell had the best opportunity to carve out a starting role out of all of the flier RB's.

Now, he's clearly at the top of the totem pole in AZ. It's extremely doubtful that Hypen (LaRod Stephens-Howling) will handle more than 5 carries a game, as long as Powell is healthy and performing.

It should also be noted that Powell may be used more in protection than Hyphen simply because he weighs more and is almost certainly the better pass-blocker (not to mention he was previously handling 3rd down work while Hyphen was out).

The concussion doesn't worry me as long as he plays this week or next. Lots of NFL players have had concussions, Powell's doesn't appear to be anything significant. One concussion doesn't instantly turn you into Jahvid Best.

William Powell's upside is tremendous. The Cardinals O-line looks dismal, yes. But if Powell's ability is able to trump a poor O-line, or the O-line is able to find some sort of solidity, Powell should easily be an RB2 with upside.

POW POW POWELL WHEELS!

Just trying to understand the part about "best opportunity to carve out a starting role out of all of the flier RB's." I assume this was written before Donald Brown went down, opening the door to Vick Ballard, and before Cedric Benson went down, opening the door to Alex Green and James Starks.

At this point in time, with this new information, would you put Ballard, Green, or Starks ahead of Powell? All of these RBs have no one nominally in front of them.

I was suspended this past week for violating the Rotoworld Forums Code of Conduct.

Otherwise this thread would be at least 50 pages long by now.

William Powell had the best opportunity to carve out a starting role out of all of the flier RB's.

Now, he's clearly at the top of the totem pole in AZ. It's extremely doubtful that Hypen (LaRod Stephens-Howling) will handle more than 5 carries a game, as long as Powell is healthy and performing.

It should also be noted that Powell may be used more in protection than Hyphen simply because he weighs more and is almost certainly the better pass-blocker (not to mention he was previously handling 3rd down work while Hyphen was out).

The concussion doesn't worry me as long as he plays this week or next. Lots of NFL players have had concussions, Powell's doesn't appear to be anything significant. One concussion doesn't instantly turn you into Jahvid Best.

William Powell's upside is tremendous. The Cardinals O-line looks dismal, yes. But if Powell's ability is able to trump a poor O-line, or the O-line is able to find some sort of solidity, Powell should easily be an RB2 with upside.

POW POW POWELL WHEELS!

Actually, another way to put it. Do you consider Powell an "RB2 with upside" who is startable now, or only if he proves himself by trumping a poor O-line? If he has to prove himself first, then isn't that a little like saying he is easily an RB2 with upside if he proves himself to be an RB2 with upside?

Are you starting him in any of the leagues you have him in?

I'm really pulling for the guy. If you're assertion is that he CAN be a stud if he can prove himself a stud, then I suppose I'd go along with that since it's a pretty low-risk assertion. I haven't been able to bring myself to start him in any leagues yet, because until he proves himself to be an RB2 with upside, I think he's nothing but a flier like any other flier, no better, no worse.

Edited by bsong71

their OL is terrible. I can't say worst in the league for sure, but definitely close to it.

This isn't even a debate. They don't open holes and Kolb gets his a** kicked on a weekly basis.

That is the thing, some lines suck at pass blocking so people lump them up into an awful offensive line grouping. Some lines are good at pass protection but suck at run blocking. Like the Seahawks last year in the 2nd half were an upper tier run blocking line, but still sucked at pass blocking. To the naked eye people who watched there games casually would say there offensive line sucks. But they did have a strength to there game which helped fantasy owners who stuck with Marshawn Lynch.

The Cardinals offensive line is both bottom 3 in run blocking and pass blocking. They are terrible in every facet. Only lines you could possibly argue right now that are playing as poorly are the Jets and the Steelers. But the Steelers pass pro has been solid as Roelisberger is only getting sacked on average 2 times a game. So all around when you factor in pass blocking and run blocking the Cardinals are the worst.

That is why I am not excited about any Arizona RB. I am a big believer in offensive lines. I am very thorough in my analysis of lines before the season and typically before the season starts I generate a list of line rankings and rank my RB's based on which ones project to be running behind a capable offensive line. I took Ryan Williams and Beanie Wells off all my draft charts for this reason, as once Levi Brown went down I downgraded the Cardinals to my worst ranked line. I did not acquire any of the Arizona RB's this week, I just don't see how in non PPR leagues any of these guys really do anything. In PPR though, they could have some 10-12 point games here or there. Just depends on league settings, but I'd caution everyone, remember before the Rams game people had it circled as a top matchup because the Rams line was one of the worst against the run, but as seen the Cardinals are so bad upfront they made the Rams look like the steel curtain. The Bills D-line as bad as it has played is actually light years better than the putrid, horrid, atrocious, awful thing we call the Cardinals offensive line.

Edited by Cmilne23

It's the worst OL according to

- Pro Football Focus

- Football Outsiders

But I'm sure www.foulline.com is more reliable

I don't need a website to understand football.

Do you even know how they figure those stats? I'm gunna guess that you don't.

Last week before Thursday those sites had Arizona's OLine ranked last in terms of rushing, even though it at that time they weren't ranked last in rush yards per game or rush yards per carry and they had gone up against the hardest schedule to rush against.

So don't get snotty with me because I have enough brains and balls to formulate my own opinions rather than blindly follow along some site I don't understand like a lemming. You can disagree all you want but that doesnt make my points any less valid.

Again if Arizona puts up big rush numbers against Buffalo their stats will look so much better.6 If they rush for 150 yards as a team against Buffalo and every other team rushed for their average yards a game that would put them at 26th overall in teems of rush yards per game.

1. Sarcasm.

2. I wasn't serious.

3. Whatever.

I don't expect him to be on my roster next week. I added him because "what if..." and i had an open bench spot. I have 0 expectations for a RB in a potential RBBC behind this line, but who knows?

It isn't that it's impossible to reason with me. It's just that you have weak a** counter points to anything I say.

Take this post for example. Your whole argument is that it is impossible to reason with me and that I'm crazy. No facts on William Powell or the Arizona line. Please keep this weak stuff to yourself.

So Arizona hasn't had tough matchups to run against?

Arizona's play calling hasn't been off balance?

Ryan Williams didn't suck?

Cause I'm right on all 3 of those. So far I don't understand your point?...

You blow a comparison well out of proportion to try to make you "right" in an argument that you started. I say hey this guy could come out of nowhere like Arian Foster did and you guys are holding me to the fact that I said he will produce like Arian Foster. Get real. Please play in any of my fantasy leagues, my league mates would love your donation.

It's the worst OL according to

- Pro Football Focus

- Football Outsiders

But I'm sure www.foulline.com is more reliable

I don't need a website to understand football.

Do you even know how they figure those stats? I'm gunna guess that you don't.

Last week before Thursday those sites had Arizona's OLine ranked last in terms of rushing, even though it at that time they weren't ranked last in rush yards per game or rush yards per carry and they had gone up against the hardest schedule to rush against.

So don't get snotty with me because I have enough brains and balls to formulate my own opinions rather than blindly follow along some site I don't understand like a lemming. You can disagree all you want but that doesnt make my points any less valid.

Again if Arizona puts up big rush numbers against Buffalo their stats will look so much better.6 If they rush for 150 yards as a team against Buffalo and every other team rushed for their average yards a game that would put them at 26th overall in teems of rush yards per game.

What points have you made about their offensive line? All you have said is "they aren't close to the worst in the league or a bottom 5 line." Then someone brought up multiple credible sites that I know I have used in the past and they are pretty well known. And those stats aren't some confusing formula, they are stated right on the graph as to how they get each number.

Again, you might be wise to refrain from accusing everyone else of not bringing facts to the table when they give you multiple football research websites citing their argument. At this point its pretty irritating reading the defiant attitude.

Edited by Wombat

I'm talking strictly in terms of running the ball. Pass blocking they are much worse at, which is why it doesn't make sense that Arizona is throwing the ball as much as teams like New England, Green Bay, Philadelphia, and Detroit. Think about it, where were the QBs of those teams drafted in comparison to Kolb who didn't even enter the season as a starter?

Either way points still stand. Tough matchups, bad play calling, and not the right running back in. When those things get better, which they will, the rushing situation in Arizona will too. Period.

Every team that has line woes swears they have the worst offensive line. Yes I've watched tons of Arizona footage and no it's not nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be. Most people claiming Arizona is the worst offensive line just hears it or see one bad play and make an entire assumption based off of it. They don't actually look closely or look at deeper stats than just rush yards per game.

I also have seen a ton of Bears footage, where everyone claimed Chicago had the worst offensive line in the league earlier in the year. See the Alshon Jeffery thread (oh I was crazy for saying he'd out produce Justin Blackmon too, too bad a broken hand got in the way of that).

But the fact of the matter is The Bears O-Line is at the very least average. Yes I am from Chicago and I know what I'm talking about. Jay Cutler never throws the ball away and holds onto it for way too long. Why can Aaron Rodgers last year get sacked more per game and have the best season ever by a QB than and Jay Cutler who gets sacked less a game than Rodgers can't even have a career year? Either way this is off topic.

Again for the 1,000 time I'm not saying they even have a good Offensive line. But it is not the worst in the league, they are below average. Things will start to even out for Arizona. There is a big difference between good enough to get it done and the worst in the league.

Cmilne23 yes the line isn't as good as it was last year. But I won't believe they are all of a sudden the worst line in the league either. It's early in the season and they have caught some tough luck this year in terms of their offense, but also have caught even more breaks on defense.

What happens in the game will speak for itself. I have stated my points, if all most of you have to say is I'm crazy and uncredible to counter that than thanks for wasting people's time.

What points have you made about their offensive line? All you have said is "they aren't close to the worst in the league or a bottom 5 line." Then someone brought up multiple credible sites that I know I have used in the past and they are pretty well known. And those stats aren't some confusing formula, they are stated right on the graph as to how they get each number.

Again, you might be wise to refrain from accusing everyone else of not bringing facts to the table when they give you multiple football research websites citing their argument. At this point its pretty irritating reading the defiant attitude.

Then explain how last week Arizona before they played Thursday was ranked last in terms of rushing yet they weren't last in rushing yards per game, rush yards per attempt, and had the toughest schedule to run against up to that point?

They don't consider opposition in those. They don't consider a lot of things. It says right on the website,

"The following stats are not adjusted for opponent".

Which is one of my main arguments. Yeah every undefeated team in college football should be tied at the #1 ranking, right?

Then explain how last week Arizona before they played Thursday was ranked last in terms of rushing yet they weren't last in rushing yards per game, rush yards per attempt, and had the toughest schedule to run against up to that point?

They don't consider opposition in those. They don't consider a lot of things. It says right on the website,

"The following stats are not adjusted for opponent".

Which is one of my main arguments. Yeah every undefeated team in college football should be tied at the #1 ranking, right?

Ya, you can argue schedule all you want but how does Arizona's schedule get any easier this season? They get the Bills, Jets, Falcons that rank lower half of the league, but the rest they get Seattle, San Fran twice, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Rams again. You are saying they struggled run blocking because they had a tough schedule, well they still face the gauntlet coming up so what should our expectations be with the Cardinals run game now?

Edited by Cmilne23