NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

I for one, appreciate Foulline and Robrain bringing this guy to the attention of everyone on the board. Even if we do not agree, without this board many would not of gotten the chance to take a flier on this guy originally. That is what this place is all about to talk sports and help eachother win and succeed in our leagues. I am going to give Powell a go in one league in terms of a pick up, and go against every grain in my body to see where it takes me. Does not hurt to take a shot.

With that said, I still do not conclude how you come this conclusion Foulline, I would really like to hear your analysis to this:

I am saying that Arizona's O-Line is more than good enough for Powell to be a big time success in fantasy. It wasn't based off of two highlights, don't be so thick.

Read JustEndTheSeason's post, he did a great write up.

To further add to that, The Rams have seen some solid rushing teams, so their numbers are likely to continue trending them closer to the top in defense vs the rush. Washington is 3rd in yards per rush, Chicago and Seattle are tied in 13th in yards per rush, but STL played the game against a healthy Matt Forte which obviously makes The Bears a more dangerous rushing team. Detroit is 25th vs the rush but may have caught STL a bit off guard as they had some decent success with the rush (also 17 yards on 2 WR carries).

I just feel if Arizona gives the rush a real chance 24+ carries, it will be extremely successful. Allowing sacks and throwing picks when you drop back 50 items is not a success. A good mix would take pressure off of Kolb too and actually make him more effective and their possessions would be more manageable.

Arizona also leads the league in punts. Which to me says, the most wasted possessions. 2nd in punts Jacksonville, 3rd in punts Cleveland so it's not good company. Oddly enough Houston is 4th. Last year St. Louis (terrible last year) lead the league in punts followed by Denver and we all know how bad Tebow looked until he put together those game winning drives.

Arizona's play calling is clearly problematic right now. Anyone who knows the game should be able to see that. It puts more pressure on their offense and their defense for little reason. It's not like they were ever being blown out of any of those games. Kolb shouldn't be throwing as much as Brady and Rodgers, period.

I for one, appreciate Foulline and Robrain bringing this guy to the attention of everyone on the board. Even if we do not agree, without this board many would not of gotten the chance to take a flier on this guy originally. That is what this place is all about to talk sports and help eachother win and succeed in our leagues. I am going to give Powell a go in one league in terms of a pick up, and go against every grain in my body to see where it takes me. Does not hurt to take a shot.

With that said, I still do not conclude how you come this conclusion Foulline, I would really like to hear your analysis to this:

I am saying that Arizona's O-Line is more than good enough for Powell to be a big time success in fantasy. It wasn't based off of two highlights, don't be so thick.

To further add to that, The Rams have seen some solid rushing teams, so their numbers are likely to continue trending them closer to the top in defense vs the rush. Washington is 3rd in yards per rush, Chicago and Seattle are tied in 13th in yards per rush, but STL played the game against a healthy Matt Forte which obviously makes The Bears a more dangerous rushing team. Detroit is 25th vs the rush but may have caught STL a bit off guard as they had some decent success with the rush (also 17 yards on 2 WR carries).

I just feel if Arizona gives the rush a real chance 24+ carries, it will be extremely successful. Allowing sacks and throwing picks when you drop back 50 items is not a success. A good mix would take pressure off of Kolb too and actually make him more effective and their possessions would be more manageable.

Arizona also leads the league in punts. Which to me says, the most wasted possessions. 2nd in punts Jacksonville, 3rd in punts Cleveland so it's not good company. Oddly enough Houston is 4th. Last year St. Louis (terrible last year) lead the league in punts followed by Denver and we all know how bad Tebow looked until he put together those game winning drives.

Arizona's play calling is clearly problematic right now. Anyone who knows the game should be able to see that. It puts more pressure on their offense and their defense for little reason. It's not like they were ever being blown out of any of those games. Kolb shouldn't be throwing as much as Brady and Rodgers, period.

Well its a catch 22, its hard to establish the run when you can't run the ball. As you mentioned they have faced some elite rush D's, no? So what are they suppose to do keep force feeding the ball and playing to there weakness (there offensive line) and playing right into the opposing teams strength (the run D)? Its hard to establish any sort of sync offensively when you are facing good defenses. This will be there first true test against what statistically is a poor defensive team in Buffalo. But remember Arizona's strength and playmakers are there WR's. You will never see them try to be some jam it down your throat and run the ball a lot team like the Seahawks because they have Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Roberts is proving to be solid as well. I think if you are expecting Arizona to be a consistent running team in terms of attempts you are going to be pretty sorely disappointed this season. That doesn't suit the style of there team very well, and it certainly doesn't bode well for there chances of moving the ball against top 10 rush D's in what 70% there remaining games?

Well its a catch 22, its hard to establish the run when you can't run the ball. As you mentioned they have faced some elite rush D's, no? So what are they suppose to do keep force feeding the ball and playing to there weakness (there offensive line) and playing right into the opposing teams strength (the run D)? Its hard to establish any sort of sync offensively when you are facing good defenses. This will be there first true test against what statistically is a poor defensive team in Buffalo. But remember Arizona's strength and playmakers are there WR's. You will never see them try to be some jam it down your throat and run the ball a lot team like the Seahawks because they have Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Roberts is proving to be solid as well. I think if you are expecting Arizona to be a consistent running team in terms of attempts you are going to be pretty sorely disappointed this season. That doesn't suit the style of there team very well, and it certainly doesn't bode well for there chances of moving the ball against top 10 rush D's in what 70% there remaining games?

As for Powell and his offensive line, there are arguments for and against it being the biggest factor pertaining to Powell's potential success.

Judging from all the other factors, I'm more than willing to give Powell the greenlight in my starting lineup this week and see if he can do something when given the workload. I think that this game will likely put a rest, one way or another, to the questions about the Cardinal's O-line issues.

it's possible for a poor nfl offensive line to support solid fantasy production at running back. sjax has been proving that for a number of years. however, the running backs that perform well in those situations are typically elite talents. moreover, they tend to play on teams that use their rb's heavily. the problem with your argument is that it's based off of a rather large assumption; namely that william powell is a top talent at the position. his is not the pedigree that would support such an argument and a few preseason carries coupled with mop-up duty in college shouldn't be enough to sway you. it isn't enough to sway me...

Highly untrue. Beanie Wells was never more than an average fantasy back. Ryan Williams has never proved anything in the NFL, he finally got his shot and he blew it.

beanie wells is considered to be a talented nfl running back. he size/speed combination alone puts him in the league average starter category. ryan williams hasn't graded out poorly from the reports that i've read. indeed, everything seems to suggest that he's played well despite the poor level of production. the following is analysis of last week's game by jeff tefertiller (from footballguys)- "ryan williams looked very quick in the game... his jump-cuts were effective even though the saint louis defense was in the backfield often".

Reread the first page on the thread. I say long shot. I also said, "he can be had at the expense of your first drop". People are just sore because I continue to find some sort of bright side to the sludge they keep throwing onto this thread. Just because I counter point some weak argument of how Arizona has the "worst" line in the league "by far" doesn't mean I'm arguing it as if it was a certainty. I haven't traded any RBs in honor of picking up William Powell, I didn't drop any high profile player to pick him up either. I never said he is a must draft. All you haters just want to talk down to someone and pick a fight. All I do is defend myself and my stance. So act as if you know so much more than me because chances are I'm wrong about an extremely bold prediction. Get real.

i agree that williams powell is a good speculative add. in fact, (for full disclosure) i added him in my league. however, i think that he's a good ww add due to opportunity and not talent. indeed, powell should be owned in most leagues because he has a good chance at being the starting running back for an nfl team (period). the problem is that you went too far when you said that powell is an elite talent. there's just not a large enough sample to do an adequate valuation on powell's talent level. he's the definition of a lotto ticket. there aren't many players that have burst onto the scene in any professional sport that had little to no track record of success at lower levels.

• Like 1

Sons of Football! I am William Powell

Young Soldier: William Powell is seven feet tall!

William Powell: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the Trolls with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

I *am* William Powell! And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to win fantasy football leagues as free men... and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you start me?

Veteran: Start? With that O-Line? No! We will pass. And we will live.

William Powell: Aye, start me and you may die. Bench me, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR POWELL WHEELS!

William Powell: Alba gu bràth!

["Powell forever!"]

Army: ALBA GU BRÀTH! ALBA GU BRÀTH! ALBA GU BRÀTH!

What is with all the mini novels in this thread guys are writing to each other. Please just PM each other this crap.

Most of them are pretty indepth football posts and offer a lot of information for posters to soak in. I don't see anything wrong with them?

Edited by Cmilne23

LoL...saw this article on Powell with the headline saying stoppable force (Cards run game) meets moveable object (Bills Run D) lolll.

Ahhh I want to start Powell just so I can cheer for the kid and look like a genius if he goes off, but too scared because of last game. Even if he goes off I can't realistically play him until week 13 and by then Beanie is back. Ahhhh....FML.

Edited by FUM

LoL...saw this article on Powell with the headline saying stoppable force (Cards run game) meets moveable object (Bills Run D) lolll.

Ahhh I want to start Powell just so I can cheer for the kid and look like a genius if he goes off, but too scared because of last game. Even if he goes off I can't realistically play him until week 13 and by then Beanie is back. Ahhhh....FML.

Look at it this way, if Powell does well then why bring Beanie back if he's not 100%. And if Powell sucks then you would have probably dropped him by the time Beanie comes back. So to me, Beanie is not a factor for a successful Powell.

Edited by tucker26

Look at it this way, if Powell does well then why bring Beanie back if he's not 100%. And if Powell sucks then you would have probably dropped him by the time Beanie comes back. So to me, Beanie is not a factor for a successful Powell.

But until he plays the Jets in week 13 with that O-line, how can we even consider him from week 7 until then? I'm just saying if we are going to squeeze any juice out of him, it will be this Sunday!

But until he plays the Jets in week 13 with that O-line, how can we even consider him from week 7 until then? I'm just saying if we are going to squeeze any juice out of him, it will be this Sunday!

Your right and I think sell high after this week if you can. But if he looks really good then you may want hold. Depends what you could get. And if he sucks then we can just give props to all those that warned us of how bad he is going to suck.

yes because one line responses add tons of in-depth analysis and information

potato

Yeah because there's nothing in between 1 word posts and 500 word essays. Playing the extremes game is fun.

Fwiw your potato post was one of the more insightful this thread has seen

yes because one line responses add tons of in-depth analysis and information

potato

Yeah because there's nothing in between 1 word posts and 500 word essays. Playing the extremes game is fun.

Fwiw your potato post was one of the more insightful this thread has seen

Yo owenmills, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish,

but builttoolong had one of the best potato posts of all time

Edited by Robrain

If I were starting WiPo this week, I'd be doing it on the presumption that he will be the teams Goal Line back, should they get in close. I don't believe it'll be LSH (unless it's a screen of some sort). I don't think it'll be Smith (1 career TD, but this is simply speculation). That leave WiPo...

Maybe you get 60-80 combined yards and a TD (BIG maybe on the TD)...then you flip him to a desperate bye week hammered owner for an upgrade someplace. Or you keep him and play him over Doug Martin of he sux this week...but I'll leave my team outta this.

• Root Admin

According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals are not likely to trade for a running back with Ryan Williams and Beanie Wells sidelined.

Any player acquired would be a mere stopgap until Wells returns in November. Beat writer Kent Somers confirms the Cardinals are "not enamored" with any of the available street free agents after getting burned by Chester Taylor a year ago. Arizona will proceed with the underwhelming trio of William Powell, La'Rod Stephens-Howling, and Alfonso Smith.