NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

For those who don't know why he wasn't around in OT....

On the play Kolb got hurt, it was a designed draw, Powell (UDFA) made a mistake and went to a pass blocking look, wasn't there to take Kolb's handoff, Kevin tried to do something, and got hit causing his rib injury. He was benched for the remainder of the game.

He has a lot of potential but is young and still makes mistakes. I like the kid both on my FF team and as a Cards fan, but he's still young, and Whiz hates playing rookies. That's just how he is.

This. Coaches probably dont trust him much yet, and while he did look good against the worst D in the league, I cant say I'd be ecstastic to start him against Minny and SF in the coming weeks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

• Root Admin

On the play Kolb got hurt, it was a designed draw, Powell (UDFA) made a mistake and went to a pass blocking look, wasn't there to take Kolb's handoff, Kevin tried to do something, and got hit causing his rib injury. He was benched for the remainder of the game.

He has a lot of potential but is young and still makes mistakes. I like the kid both on my FF team and as a Cards fan, but he's still young, and Whiz hates playing rookies. That's just how he is.

Good information, while I watched a lot of the game, I missed the play in which Kolb got hurt. Explains a lot and also explains why LSH will most likely continue to see a lot of snaps, specifically on passing (3rd/2 minute) downs....

He is getting the David Wilson treatment, except the Giants have an actual great back in front of Wilson. Good for Arizona, continue to give the lesser back more touches, should help them lose more games which I enjoy being a Seahawks fan. But from a fantasy perspective it certainly puts a damper on his potential of making an impact in some of these upcoming tough matchups. If you only get 12-14 carries vs. a D like Seattle or San Fran you will be lucky to get 3 points. He needs touches in volume but doesn't sound like that will happen anytime soon in AZ.

Yikes... yup, getting your QB drilled will definitely put you out of coach's favor quickly. Not to mention the QB himself (maybe less inclined to toss dump-offs to him etc in the future)

• Root Admin

He is getting the David Wilson treatment, except the Giants have an actual great back in front of Wilson. Good for Arizona, continue to give the lesser back more touches, should help them lose more games which I enjoy being a Seahawks fan. But from a fantasy perspective it certainly puts a damper on his potential of making an impact in some of these upcoming tough matchups. If you only get 12-14 carries vs. a D like Seattle or San Fran you will be lucky to get 3 points. He needs touches in volume but doesn't sound like that will happen anytime soon in AZ.

Powell actually got more touches than LSH.....but if you can't trust him pass protection than it's hard to play him on clear passing downs....

welp after reading this, selling him for anything i can get

probably wont even play next week

welp after reading this, selling him for anything i can get

probably wont even play next week

Why because teams pass on every down? No, all it means is that he will rotate off the field on most passing downs. But he will still be involved in rush attempts as he is the best ball carrier.

But, yes, I am also going to be trying to sell him this week as well. Technically most people view him as a "starting RB" and coming off a solid game. Going to try and package it for something.

Edited by Cmilne23

Good information, while I watched a lot of the game, I missed the play in which Kolb got hurt. Explains a lot and also explains why LSH will most likely continue to see a lot of snaps, specifically on passing (3rd/2 minute) downs....

I don't think the coaching staff doesn't trust him for one mistake. He may have been in the dog house that game. But I honestly couldn't see LaRod getting any more than 1/3 of the carries and even less of the overall RB touches next week.

The Cardinals need to put the ball in Powell's hands, he has big play ability.

Mostly good information. Powell is only sort-of a rookie. He was on the Cardinals practice squad last year.

The play in question was definitely a miscommunication, and probably Powell's fault. However, the injury wasn't directly related to the error. Kolb tried to run and it appeared to me that he landed on the ball. And while it was likely Powell's fault, there is a chance it was a designed draw for Kolb -- they had just run one a few plays earlier and gained about 15 yards on it.

Additionally, this was Powell's first play in a long, long stretch. He was in merely to give LSH a breather.

I don't know much about Whiz, but I do know that having watched several games this year, Arizona would do well to establish the run -- and Powell seems like the guy that can do that for him. Perhaps if he starts getting first-team reps he won't make screw-ups like that one. His running gives the team a better chance to win. The brutal 70:30 pass:run ratio (or whatever it is) has got to take its toll on the lineman. It's a lot easier to run block than pass block.

IMO Powell was not benched because of that play. He didn't play another snap -- but there weren't many more, and he already hadn't touched the field much in the 4th quarter.

Powell actually got more touches than LSH.....but if you can't trust him pass protection than it's hard to play him on clear passing downs....

When has anyone said he can't be trusted on passing downs? He was the 3rd down back with LSH out....

It's just speculated on the fact that someone said that Powell screwed up on the play that Kolb got hurt. He then didn't play the rest of the game which was like 2 series maybe 3. So who really knows.

I couldn't see Powell not getting the vast majority of the carries. Arizona will eventually realize they need to run the ball to be successful. They call plays as if they have Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers back there, nothing against Kolb but he's far from that caliber of a QB and it only makes it harder when teams get a good feel for a pass rush because Arizona has little balance in their offensive attack.

When has anyone said he can't be trusted on passing downs? He was the 3rd down back with LSH out....

It's just speculated on the fact that someone said that Powell screwed up on the play that Kolb got hurt. He then didn't play the rest of the game which was like 2 series maybe 3. So who really knows.

I couldn't see Powell not getting the vast majority of the carries. Arizona will eventually realize they need to run the ball to be successful. They call plays as if they have Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers back there, nothing against Kolb but he's far from that caliber of a QB and it only makes it harder when teams get a good feel for a pass rush because Arizona has little balance in their offensive attack.

missing 1 series or a few snaps is 1 thing. but to miss the remaining 2-3 series in a close game, is a pretty clear message that he is at the very least partially in the doghouse.

• Root Admin

Read the thread please.....it's a few posts above yours.

missing 1 series or a few snaps is 1 thing. but to miss the remaining 2-3 series in a close game, is a pretty clear message that he is at the very least partially in the doghouse.

There could be many factors. Injury? Winded? Or just generally in the dog house. That doesn't mean that the coaching staff is all of a sudden going to be like, "Wow okay you've busted your a** and out produced all of our RBs so we'll just let the inferior RB keep getting more carries."

No one is that thick.

• Root Admin

There could be many factors. Injury? Winded? Or just generally in the dog house. That doesn't mean that the coaching staff is all of a sudden going to be like, "Wow okay you've busted your a** and out produced all of our RBs so we'll just let the inferior RB keep getting more carries."

No one is that thick.

I think most rational folks would simply extrapolate that Powell may have some wood to cut before the Whiz plays him over LSH in obvious passing situations or the 2 minute offense. He certainly looked like the better runner last week and LSH has never really been the long-term answer as a 3 down back, IMO.....

That is the rational train of thought, however NFL coaches are not always rational. Should he get the most carries? Yes, hands down not even close. Will he? Remains to be seen. Some coaches vary up playing time on factors that most people cannot even see. Whether it be there role in pass blocking, or route running, some of those things are determined in practice. On the surface all we can do is speculate, but until it actually happens he should probably be benched in most formats vs. these tough opponents as we see how the playing time will shake out.

No one is that thick.

why are you getting all defensive?

your first 2 possible explanations don't work and frankly the 2nd one would make Powell pretty pathetic if true

1. injury? it is now 2 days after the game if he were injured someone would have said something by now

2. winded? really? are we going to say he was tired? i can understand taking a break for a few snaps because you're winded. but needing 2-3 series to catch your breath? you can't be serious, you can do better than that

3. i never said doghouse meant he isn't getting carries, he will have his in a timeshare and the reason it will stay a timeshare is because it seems the coaches don't trust him to protect his qb. maybe they work on stuff they week and he is okay in week 7. no one knows at this point. but when you're considering who you start this is the reality you have to deal with. he is going to share carries. which opens the door for LSH or someone else to steal workload in a game.

Edited by Panthor

Doghouse? Or maybe they just said, "Wi-Po, hey see how you missed that one block? Next time make that block. We will work on that this week. Great job otherwise!"

Wi-Po, "OK coach!"

Just as likely as all this other speculation and perhaps a lot more factual.

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 2

Read the thread please.....it's a few posts above yours.

Why don 't you read my post, directly above the one you quoted?

I've read the entire thread -- that's why I picked this guy up two weeks ago. I don't care about the opinion of other posters. I care about the facts and statements by coaching staff -- both written and unwritten. I've watched the Arizona games, and I can tell you with certainty that Powell was in on almost all passing downs when LSH and Beanie were out. So, he's trusted at least above Ryan Williams and whatever other scrub they had as an rb3 for those games (I believe Smith was out as well).

I don't need the belittling comment, particularly from a mod. I know my stuff. You're welcome to disagree.

But if you want to counter my argument, please point to facts, not a comment made by other posters in the thread. Give me a coaches quote or snaps played. I'll concede that from the beginning of the season until now, LSH has been the preferred 3rd down/passing down RB. I only want to point out that Powell has been trusted in that role this season, therefore he has the potential to expand into that role if the coaching staff decided they want him on the field more.

To those on the fence using only these threads to determine the value of Powell, I have watched the dreadfully painful to watch Arizona Cardinals games to get the facts. I stand by those facts and all of the statements I have made in this thread. Here's my take:

Powell is undersized and unproven. He has looked tremendous against 3rd stringers, and he looked great last weekend. He has the skills to be an every down back (though possibly not goal-line) if he gets the reps in practice -- whether he can hold up to a full workload is a different question. His schedule is also brutal, as is the play-calling in Arizona. There are too many ifs to bank on this guy, but he is a great flier. He seems to have the best vision of any rb that has taken a snap in Arizona this year. If the coaching staff makes the right move and increases his role, and he can hold up to increased touches, he could be a solid rb2.

Don't sweat the one play where he was probably at fault for the busted play -- it may or may not have been an audible that Powell didn't hear.

• Like 2
  • Root Admin
I don't care about the opinion of other posters.

Then you make it difficult to want to engage in a dialogue. I'm confused to what you are debating? This?

The play in question was definitely a miscommunication, and probably Powell's fault. However, the injury wasn't directly related to the error. Kolb tried to run and it appeared to me that he landed on the ball. And while it was likely Powell's fault, there is a chance it was a designed draw for Kolb -- they had just run one a few plays earlier and gained about 15 yards on it.

or this?

Don't sweat the one play where he was probably at fault for the busted play -- it may or may not have been an audible that Powell didn't hear.

Uhm, no. It was definitely Powell's fault and you can see it in the video. It was an audibled draw play for the back and Powell (#33) didn't know the play, didn't hear the play, didn't like Kolb, didn't sleep at a Holliday Inn or whatever, but he went to pass block and left Kolb out to dry. You can see this on the video linked. Start at about 30 seconds in. See how Kolb goes to hand the ball off and nobody is there. See how the center fires out and goes upfield to block someone. This is how we know it's a run and every other offensive player on the field knew the play as well and it wasn't a QB draw. Kolb was caught on a busted play and tried to make something out of nothing. He was tackled by two guys and now is out for 6 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/v...nals-highlights

Reports:

On the next play, Kolb took the snap and looked to his running back, who was not looking at him. Kolb ran the ball on the apparently broken play, and was tackled before the line of scrimmage by two hefty Bills defenders. He didn't get up for several minutes, and was taken to the locker room with his injury.

http://blogs.phoenix...ose_to_buff.php

Kolb has taken a beating this season, including being sacked 22 times in the past three weeks. Oddly, he suffered the rib injury on a botched running play. Running back William Powell went the wrong way and Kolb was forced to run. He was tackled by two Buffalo players and landed on the ball.

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

The Cards checked into the run play on which Kolb got hurt, but running back William Powell didn’t get the change. That led to the broken play and Kolb getting hurt. “It was a miscommunication,” Whisenhunt said

http://blog.azcardin...ore-mri-coming/

Powell definitely botched the play. Whether or not it exclusively led to his benching, only the Arizona staff knows. However, rarely do we, as fantasy gamers, get the opportunity to sit in on professional staff meetings or tape sessions so sometimes we have to make intuitive leaps based on experience, logic, and the information presented to us. If you disagree with that assessment, then that's cool. Opinions vary.

But, if you're waiting for Whiz to say, "I like Powell, but now that LSH is back I used him in most pass situations because I trust him on a scale of 1 to 10 at about an 8 and I trust our 2nd year player out of Kansas State, who has a minimum of playing experience at this level or college at about a 4. After he missed the block that got our QB killed, I decided to go with the more experienced hand. Nothing to worry about though." then I don't think we'll ever have the whole story.

Not many are disputing that Powell was the more impressive runner nor that he made a strong case for getting more carries. Then again, Coach Whisenhunt hasn't come out and said that he'll be giving Powell more touches either, so you may not want to assume that either. Powell's a nice young player and he obviously has some level of trust by the coaching staff, but he's being played because of injury and circumstance. If Zona had it's druthers, he'd be a healthy inactive, like week 1. And yes, he filled in for LSH on third downs when he was injured, but Beanie was hurt and Ryan Williams was in no shape to be a 3 down back. Now that LSH is back, it stands to reason that he'll continue to be the 3rd down/passing down back. Logically, this latest mistake by a young player won't help his level of trust in pass protection or on passing downs by the coaching staff. And in the Cardinals offense, that is a lot of potential production that he may not see.

Maybe he has a great week of practice and things change for him, then again maybe not.

• Like 2

why are you getting all defensive?

your first 2 possible explanations don't work and frankly the 2nd one would make Powell pretty pathetic if true

1. injury? it is now 2 days after the game if he were injured someone would have said something by now

2. winded? really? are we going to say he was tired? i can understand taking a break for a few snaps because you're winded. but needing 2-3 series to catch your breath? you can't be serious, you can do better than that

3. i never said doghouse meant he isn't getting carries, he will have his in a timeshare and the reason it will stay a timeshare is because it seems the coaches don't trust him to protect his qb. maybe they work on stuff they week and he is okay in week 7. no one knows at this point. but when you're considering who you start this is the reality you have to deal with. he is going to share carries. which opens the door for LSH or someone else to steal workload in a game.

I wasn't defensive at all. I'm just saying for as many unseen and unknown factors as you guys list for reasons that LHS gets snaps there are just as many for why Powell didn't play. There hasn't been a report or anything to go off of.

But even if he was in fact "dog housed" because of missing that block I don't think the anger lingers for another week. The Cardinals won't be able to win with LHS running the ball. Which that's what it's all about, winning. They aren't winning with their crazy pass scheme and it's not like it's really good teams beating them St. Louis and Buffalo at home.

That is the rational line of thinking. There's nothing more to it.

Exactly @ Patrick Bateman. I came here and made a comment about Powell earlier missing that block and it seems to have caused some debate.

First off I'm a Fantasy Football fan 2nd, Cards fan first. I watch every play of every game every week.

If there's doubt as to whether it was a mistake or not, here's a Whiz quote taken from Revenge of the Birds:

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/10/14/3504296/cardinals-vs-bills-we-shot-ourselves-in-the-foot

Late in the game, when Kevin Kolb was hit and got hurt, having to leave the game, that was on William Powell. "He had a mental error on the play," said Whisenhunt. "It was supposed to be a draw play."

Now just as a Cards fan, as any Cards fan knows, Whiz doesn't like to play young / unproven guys. He trusts LSH more as a multi-year Cardinal.

That being said I OWN WiPo and saw the best looking running of our season, and think he has the possibility to be a stud. But this is an information thread so I think it's important for people to have a good idea of the information out there. I don't think Whiz will be so hard-headed to not let Powell get looks at making an impact, but it also (while frustrating me) didn't surprise me that LSH was the back at the end of the 4th and OT after the Kolb injury.

Just trying to help provide information so others can make their decisions / risks and hopefully win their league, that's why we're here right?

Personally, I hope WiPo blows up and becomes our guy in Airzona!!

I think his value is as high as it's going to get right now...he's the starter and he's coming off a solid game...two very rough games coming up so he's going to fall off of people's radars after the next two matchups...I would try and move him before this weekend which is what I am going to try and do