NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

Larry Fitzgerald on the Cardinals running game last week:

“It was much improved,” receiver

Larry Fitzgeraldicon-article-link.gif said. “We really put a big emphasis on that. I think William Powell did a good job for us creating his own lanes.

“Across the board, I think we were happy with the way we ran the football. It’s just the points. We have to score more points.”

Here's the link:

Larry Fitzgerald on the Cardinals running game last week:

“It was much improved,” receiver

Larry Fitzgeraldicon-article-link.gif said. “We really put a big emphasis on that. I think William Powell did a good job for us creating his own lanes.

“Across the board, I think we were happy with the way we ran the football. It’s just the points. We have to score more points.”

Here's the link:

This will mean a lot more to me once Fitz is promoted to offensive coordinator.

I don't care about the opinion of other posters.

Then you make it difficult to want to engage in a dialogue. I'm confused to what you are debating? This?

The play in question was definitely a miscommunication, and probably Powell's fault. However, the injury wasn't directly related to the error. Kolb tried to run and it appeared to me that he landed on the ball. And while it was likely Powell's fault, there is a chance it was a designed draw for Kolb -- they had just run one a few plays earlier and gained about 15 yards on it.

or this?

Don't sweat the one play where he was probably at fault for the busted play -- it may or may not have been an audible that Powell didn't hear.

Uhm, no. It was definitely Powell's fault and you can see it in the video. It was an audibled draw play for the back and Powell (#33) didn't know the play, didn't hear the play, didn't like Kolb, didn't sleep at a Holliday Inn or whatever, but he went to pass block and left Kolb out to dry. You can see this on the video linked. Start at about 30 seconds in. See how Kolb goes to hand the ball off and nobody is there. See how the center fires out and goes upfield to block someone. This is how we know it's a run and every other offensive player on the field knew the play as well and it wasn't a QB draw. Kolb was caught on a busted play and tried to make something out of nothing. He was tackled by two guys and now is out for 6 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/v...nals-highlights

Reports:

On the next play, Kolb took the snap and looked to his running back, who was not looking at him. Kolb ran the ball on the apparently broken play, and was tackled before the line of scrimmage by two hefty Bills defenders. He didn't get up for several minutes, and was taken to the locker room with his injury.

http://blogs.phoenix...ose_to_buff.php

Kolb has taken a beating this season, including being sacked 22 times in the past three weeks. Oddly, he suffered the rib injury on a botched running play. Running back William Powell went the wrong way and Kolb was forced to run. He was tackled by two Buffalo players and landed on the ball.

http://www.freep.com...l|text|Sports|p

The Cards checked into the run play on which Kolb got hurt, but running back William Powell didn’t get the change. That led to the broken play and Kolb getting hurt. “It was a miscommunication,” Whisenhunt said

http://blog.azcardin...ore-mri-coming/

Powell definitely botched the play. Whether or not it exclusively led to his benching, only the Arizona staff knows. However, rarely do we, as fantasy gamers, get the opportunity to sit in on professional staff meetings or tape sessions so sometimes we have to make intuitive leaps based on experience, logic, and the information presented to us. If you disagree with that assessment, then that's cool. Opinions vary.

But, if you're waiting for Whiz to say, "I like Powell, but now that LSH is back I used him in most pass situations because I trust him on a scale of 1 to 10 at about an 8 and I trust our 2nd year player out of Kansas State, who has a minimum of playing experience at this level or college at about a 4. After he missed the block that got our QB killed, I decided to go with the more experienced hand. Nothing to worry about though." then I don't think we'll ever have the whole story.

Not many are disputing that Powell was the more impressive runner nor that he made a strong case for getting more carries. Then again, Coach Whisenhunt hasn't come out and said that he'll be giving Powell more touches either, so you may not want to assume that either. Powell's a nice young player and he obviously has some level of trust by the coaching staff, but he's being played because of injury and circumstance. If Zona had it's druthers, he'd be a healthy inactive, like week 1. And yes, he filled in for LSH on third downs when he was injured, but Beanie was hurt and Ryan Williams was in no shape to be a 3 down back. Now that LSH is back, it stands to reason that he'll continue to be the 3rd down/passing down back. Logically, this latest mistake by a young player won't help his level of trust in pass protection or on passing downs by the coaching staff. And in the Cardinals offense, that is a lot of potential production that he may not see.

Maybe he has a great week of practice and things change for him, then again maybe not.

Post of the year, IMO.

15 carries for 47 yards this week against the Vikings...book it

Yeah no way.

This is Powell.

He's going to something ambiguous or unforeseen so we can have more heated discussions.

Like run for 104 yards but fumble and lose the game.

And then limp off the field on his own.

some guy on ESPN said that the Cardinals haven't ruled out a trade and the trade deadline is still a couple weeks away.

Also mentioned that New Orleans has the most RB depth, but not much has been discussed yet, FWIW.

Guy also said the Cardinals are going to run the ball so as to keep their QB from getting mauled!!!

It made me think they might churn thru 2 or 3 more RB's this season just to keep one of their QB's standing!

So you're saying there's a chance?

Where's my man to post the dumb and dumber youtube video? i seen him in a thread the other day.

That clip should be posted once per page. Its essentially the theme of this entire 50+ page thread

some guy on ESPN said that the Cardinals haven't ruled out a trade and the trade deadline is still a couple weeks away.

Also mentioned that New Orleans has the most RB depth, but not much has been discussed yet, FWIW.

Guy also said the Cardinals are going to run the ball so as to keep their QB from getting mauled!!!

It made me think they might churn thru 2 or 3 more RB's this season just to keep one of their QB's standing!

Although i would hate for it to be the cardinals, i would love to see ivory get traded and get a shot w/ 15+ snaps. that'd be dope.

I was simply trying to add another interpretation of the facts. I'm not sure if you feel I'm stepping on his toes or something, but at a minimum you seem agitated. As such, I would like to offer my thanks for your analysis. Here's where we come to different conclusions:

I don't care about the opinion of other posters.

Then you make it difficult to want to engage in a dialogue. I'm confused to what you are debating?

I thought I made it clear I take issue with your assertion that they don't trust Powell in passing situations.

I'll concede that from the beginning of the season until now, LSH has been the preferred 3rd down/passing down RB. I only want to point out that Powell has been trusted in that role this season, therefore he has the potential to expand into that role if the coaching staff decided they want him on the field more.

When you contend that he is not trusted in passing situations, I will simply point to the games where he did specifically act as THE 3rd down/passing down guy. Now, maybe the coaching staff hated doing it. I can see where that might be the case. But on some level, he is better than some of the other options they have for that role.

This?

The play in question was definitely a miscommunication, and probably Powell's fault. However, the injury wasn't directly related to the error. Kolb tried to run and it appeared to me that he landed on the ball. And while it was likely Powell's fault, there is a chance it was a designed draw for Kolb -- they had just run one a few plays earlier and gained about 15 yards on it.

or this?

Don't sweat the one play where he was probably at fault for the busted play -- it may or may not have been an audible that Powell didn't hear.

Uhm, no. It was definitely Powell's fault and you can see it in the video. It was an audibled draw play for the back and Powell (#33) didn't know the play, didn't hear the play, didn't like Kolb, didn't sleep at a Holliday Inn or whatever, but he went to pass block and left Kolb out to dry. You can see this on the video linked. Start at about 30 seconds in. See how Kolb goes to hand the ball off and nobody is there. See how the center fires out and goes upfield to block someone. This is how we know it's a run and every other offensive player on the field knew the play as well and it wasn't a QB draw. Kolb was caught on a busted play and tried to make something out of nothing. He was tackled by two guys and now is out for 6 weeks.

I agree it was probably his fault. What I wonder about is how much he is to blame even though it appears he is the one who missed the assignment. I don't know the audible system of the Cardinals. I don't know if he missed a hand signal, a called signal, a read or what. Coaches watching the tape will be able to determine that.

And as to Kolb's injury.... so what? Kolb's injury may possibly have been held against Powell in that game. (But he wasn't being used at all for the previous 4-5ish series already -- then came in for one play to spell LSH) It likely won't be held against him after it. Injuries happen in the NFL and coaches know it. Kolb's been pummeled all year. The coaching staff and the offensive line have a lot more to answer for than Powell. Maybe Whiz is stupid enough to bench or even cut Powell for this blunder. I'll be happy to take odds on it.

When it comes to information, I know I can't find the perfect quote from the perfect guy all the time, but this is what I take serious issue with:

Powell actually got more touches than LSH.....but if you can't trust him pass protection than it's hard to play him on clear passing downs....

When the truth is...

And yes, he filled in for LSH on third downs when he was injured, but Beanie was hurt and Ryan Williams was in no shape to be a 3 down back. Now that LSH is back, it stands to reason that he'll continue to be the 3rd down/passing down back.

I watched the games where Powell was in that role, and to my eye he did a serviceable job. Perhaps LSH is better. He's certainly more experienced. But you'd be amazed what first team reps can do for a guy. If Powell gets them, he may prove great at it.

Logically, this latest mistake by a young player won't help his level of trust in pass protection or on passing downs by the coaching staff. And in the Cardinals offense, that is a lot of potential production that he may not see.

Logically it was a busted running play, not a busted pass protection. It was a missed audible, something that is hopefully very easy to correct. (I would like to say it is probably easy to correct, but I think it depends on the person)

I stand by my analysis.

Powell is undersized and unproven. He has looked tremendous against 3rd stringers, and he looked great last weekend. He has the skills to be an every down back (though possibly not goal-line) if he gets the reps in practice -- whether he can hold up to a full workload is a different question. His schedule is also brutal, as is the play-calling in Arizona. There are too many ifs to bank on this guy, but he is a great flier. He seems to have the best vision of any rb that has taken a snap in Arizona this year. If the coaching staff makes the right move and increases his role, and he can hold up to increased touches, he could be a solid rb2.

• Like 1

It's exactly like you said Captain Clueless.... missed audibles are easily correctable. One mistake isn't the end of the world. When you're easily the more talented runner you're going to get more touches.

I'm expecting a nice game against MIN. Somewhere in the 85 - 95 yards with a TD area.

I know this has been harped but I just don't see him having much value any time soon.

Considering the QB play, offensive line woes and the schedule...it's risky to start him. You're not winning leagues if he'll be scoring in the single digits.

@ MIN, SF, @GB, BYE, @ATL, STL, @NYJ, @SEA, DET, CHI, @SFO

Pretty brutal...

I'm sitting him this week, but is that really that brutal of a schedule? It's not great, but the ATL, STL, NYJ stretch in particular doesn't look bad at all. Is GB and DET run defense that feared?

Edit: Ok I looked up rankings. ATL and NYJ are awful run defenses going by yards per game. STL and GB are in the bottom half of the league. So 9 games left not counting week 17, and 4 of them are favorable matchups. The other 5 are brutal. I would say overall a decent schedule left just don't rely on him for the fantasy playoffs.

Edited by owenmills