NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

na but if GB/DET get their offenses clicking they could easily get up big and next thing you kno LSH is playing the entire game

And considering the ATL and NYJ games are away, they'll be tough tasks as well. Skelton certainly doesn't strike fear in defenses

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

na but if GB/DET get their offenses clicking they could easily get up big and next thing you kno LSH is playing the entire game

But I think this guy can catch the ball decent. This isn't like a Ballard. But I guess LSH would get more playing time in that situation...

anyone considering when Beanie comes back he could take the job back? or is that being ignored

regardless of Powell being more talented, the main thing I'm worried about (as an owner) is him looking bad against SF and MIN (Beanie's return will be very close by then) that Arizona will be scratching and clawing to get someone in besides Powell

again I expect him to do about the same as Morris did against the Vikings...which is a really crappy yardage total...but maybe a TD to save face...40 yards and a TD...if he does better I'd be surprised...

And considering the ATL and NYJ games are away, they'll be tough tasks as well. Skelton certainly doesn't strike fear in defenses

All the more reason to run the ball even more.

I am confused about why one would read a message board when they don't care about the opinions of the other posters. :huh:

I am also confused as to why I keep clicking on this thread. Glutton for punishment...

Edited by Wombat

I am confused about why one would read a message board when they don't care about the opinions of the other posters. :huh:

I probably stated that poorly.... what I meant was I don't care what someone else thinks the coaches think. I only care about what the coaches think. It's OK to speculate on what they might think, but not to just give your own opinion of what they think and claim it is a fact. There's a big difference between someone saying:

"It appears the coaching staff doesn't trust him in passing situations..."

as opposed to

"He won't see the field much since he isn't trusted in passing situations"

What's going on here? This thread has really slowed down. With a 70 yard performance, I'd expect to see 12 posts an hour from FoulLine and Robrain! C'mon guys. Keep up.

Are either of you starting him this week?

Okay now. Yeah I'm starting him in 2 of my 3 leagues. Hell if Lynch can go for 100 against San Fran, why can't Powell get somewhere around 100 yards from scrimmage against Minnesota? If Kolb is hurt I'd imagine they would have to rely on running the ball a bit more.

I'll be sure to post an update on all the fantasy moves I make the rest of the week so that you (and everyone else) can critique them to death.

What's going on here? This thread has really slowed down. With a 70 yard performance, I'd expect to see 12 posts an hour from FoulLine and Robrain! C'mon guys. Keep up.

Good play puts most trolls at bay.

Okay now. Yeah I'm starting him in 2 of my 3 leagues. Hell if Lynch can go for 100 against San Fran, why can't Powell get somewhere around 100 yards from scrimmage against Minnesota? If Kolb is hurt I'd imagine they would have to rely on running the ball a bit more.

I'll be sure to post an update on all the fantasy moves I make the rest of the week so that you (and everyone else) can critique them to death.

Because Lynch is a monster.. Don't think these two are comparable quite yet

I know, but San Fran's run defense (and overall D) is much better than Minnesota's.

Plus I'm not guaranteeing Powell will out perform Lynch. I'm only asking for around 100 yards from scrimmage. Not the 116 that Lynch got. But hell if Powell finds the endzone, he'll be close to out scoring Lynch already. 1 50 yard TD run and Powell will have as many fantasy points as Lynch.

No I'm not saying he's better than Lynch, I'm just putting things into perspective.

I know, but San Fran's run defense (and overall D) is much better than Minnesota's.

Plus I'm not guaranteeing Powell will out perform Lynch. I'm only asking for around 100 yards from scrimmage. Not the 116 that Lynch got. But hell if Powell finds the endzone, he'll be close to out scoring Lynch already. 1 50 yard TD run and Powell will have as many fantasy points as Lynch.

No I'm not saying he's better than Lynch, I'm just putting things into perspective.

Hoping for a 50yd TD run is a reach for most any back, but I get what youre saying.

Hoping for a 50yd TD run is a reach for most any back, but I get what youre saying.

Well, I'm always hoping for 50 yard TD runs lol. But yes I'm not expecting it... But if it were to happen. I really think Powell will be better against MIN than BUF just due to more touches.

• Like 1

Lynch is the best RB in the league at breaking tackles and he is his team's offense, that's why he's matchup proof. I'm not ready to anoint Powell as an elite RB, and Fitz is their team's offense.

RBs have been averaging under 50 yards against Minnesota, to expect 80 and a TD is getting ahead of ourselves. In fact MJD is the only RB who has managed more than 65 yards against Minnesota, and Morris is the only RB who scored a TD. Yeah, it's not possible, but 40 yards and no TD is also possible and probably slightly more likely.

SF has allowed over 65 yards in four games now, compared to one for Minnesota.

• Root Admin

Lynch is the best RB in the league at breaking tackles and he is his team's offense, that's why he's matchup proof. I'm not ready to anoint Powell as an elite RB, and Fitz is their team's offense.

RBs have been averaging under 50 yards against Minnesota, to expect 80 and a TD is getting ahead of ourselves. In fact MJD is the only RB who has managed more than 65 yards against Minnesota, and Morris is the only RB who scored a TD. Yeah, it's not possible, but 40 yards and no TD is also possible and probably slightly more likely.

SF has allowed over 65 yards in four games now, compared to one for Minnesota.

Yea, TDs are difficult to count on so projecting yardage is easier. It's not a good matchup and he wasn't involved much in the passing game last week. Just doesn't appear to be a strong start this week, however if he can play well and run tough, it would go a long way to cementing himself as the guy in the backfield as long as the Bean is sidelined. I'm unconvinced that Beanie comes back as soon as he can nor that he'll be 100% but we'll see....

• Like 1

Because Lynch is a Top 5 running back on a team with a great O-Line and Minnesota actually has a better run defense than SF statistically speaking...

Because Lynch is a Top 5 running back on a team with a great O-Line and Minnesota actually has a better run defense than SF statistically speaking...

Not going into week 7 they didn't. Plus MIN has gone up against TEN, IND, DET. All on the lower end of yards per rush in the league. The worst rush team SF has gone up against is NYJ. Not nearly as bad as TEN or IND.

Not going into week 7 they didn't. Plus MIN has gone up against TEN, IND, DET. All on the lower end of yards per rush in the league. The worst rush team SF has gone up against is NYJ. Not nearly as bad as TEN or IND.

yeah they were. here's the stats for weeks 1-6 for Minnesota and SF versus RBs

Min: 113 carries for 326 yards. 2.88 YPC. 1 TD.

SF: 129 carries for 438 yards. 3.40 YPC. 1 TD.

SF gave up more carries, more yards, and more YPC. It's not like the 49ers have had tough matchups either. Benson, Greene, Smith, Spiller/FJax both at less than 100%, and Bradshaw don't exactly strike fear into most people's hearts.

At least a lot less than Gore, MJD, CJ, Morris, Leshoure, and Brown do. Minnesota has had a tougher matchups and done better.

Luckily Powell faces the 49ers next week so we'll have a good test of what run defense is better.

Edited by green

The big pluses for Powell are that he is versatile, clearly the most skilled of the healthy backs left and as alluded to by Patrick Bateman, it is very hard counting on Beanie coming back and being healthy as a given. It's too bad he did miss the draw play - because I think he would have continued to carve up BUF.

And yes, his next 2 weeks are tough - but I agree the rest isn't nearly as daunting. If he can protect the QB, and be the best runner, he can cement the job for this season. LSH has shown several times he is a scatback at best - so the door is wide open. With RB being so shallow, that is still WW gold - any starting RB who could play most of the snaps is a huge find.

And, I would agree that while he is far from certain for production this year, in dynasty formats his value is increasing into relevant-status. With Williams not back to 100 percent 14 months post patella tendon rupture repair opens a window for open competition if Powell can show a decent performance, and versatility - so pass-protection & play-call recognition will be huge for him the next few weeks.

He is still a lottery ticket - but at least it's fun to own him, unlike many of the RB speculative picks owners have had to dredge through ( at one time or another, 7 weeks in the FOTW have included the likes of Dwyer, Ballard, Bilal Powell, Andre Brown...).

Edited by Falconsfan
  • Like 1

Any word on Chris Williams signing with the Cardinals yet? I might not have an impact on the run game tomorrow, but it very well could for next week.

In any event, the Vikes will have to respect the slightly more mobile Skelton, which could help out Powell's prospects.

Any word on Chris Williams signing with the Cardinals yet? I might not have an impact on the run game tomorrow, but it very well could for next week.

In any event, the Vikes will have to respect the slightly more mobile Skelton, which could help out Powell's prospects.

Wrong. Kolb is way more mobile than Skelton.