NBC Sports Edge Forums

William Powell 2012 Season Outlook

LSH is not the guy. He is averaging 2.6 yards a carry on the season and 3.5 on his career. There is no upside there.

At least Powell posseses a good deal of upside. So what he didn't pan out no reason to get mad about it. What if he had been getting carries and breaking long TD runs?

If, if's and but's were berries and nuts then everyday would Christmas. There is no if's and's or but's about this situation. Its pretty damn cut and dry. LSH IS the guy that the coaching staff trusts, hence when he gets all the touches. He just had 150 total yards the game prior vs. Minnesota, Jon Gruden was talking during the broadcast about how much the coaching staff loves him. Powell has 2 fumbles on 20 touches, LSH has 1 fumble in his career totaling almost 500 touches. He is the guy. That doesn't mean he has fantasy value, or that he is some great player. But he is the primary ball carrier in Arizona, the coaching staff trusts him to hang onto the ball and pass protect, they do not with Powell. End of story.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favorite thing about this thread is that it's the worst in the forum, it's so bad I actually like it, and even respect it in a sick way. It's a hideously diseased monstrosity out of the late night

Just read that Powell only has one testicle, but it's huge. Starting him with confidence.

The level of delusion in this thread is astonishing

might as well hang it up with Powell, LSH was doing HORRIBLE and they still didn't put Powell in yet last week they said they rode with LSH because he was the hot-hand....that's clearly not the case

Beanie is back soon, he'll come back and take over

Is Foulline still around ?

What happened to "pick up of the year" or "Cards OL is not that bad" ?

. . . .

Powell will get his chance sooner or later. It's clear LSH isn't the guy.

Wrong RB, bad play calling, Whiz will be fired soon enough. They may let him stay another year because of all the injuries but if he doesn't wise up soon he'll be gone.

Those are 2 pretty speculative statements. Are you just guessing, or is there something you are seeing on television that makes you say this? When you say Whiz will be fired "soon enough," are you thinking this year, next year, or what? I'm as much a rooter of Powell as anyone because I love his story, but I don't think either of those things will be true this year or next.

so all you guys expected the cards to continue to stick with their RBs averaging <1 ypc? and powell is rotting on the bench while averaging 4.6 ypc in his limited attempts. i agree with fouline powell could have very well been the pick up of the year if the cards were smart enough to give this guy touches. from what i have seen he is the best RB on the team. there is a reason this team has lost their last 4 games after beginning the season 4-0. thats what happen when you refuse to play your best players. their coach deserves to be fired immediately

so all you guys expected the cards to continue to stick with their RBs averaging <1 ypc? and powell is rotting on the bench while averaging 4.6 ypc in his limited attempts. i agree with fouline powell could have very well been the pick up of the year if the cards were smart enough to give this guy touches. from what i have seen he is the best RB on the team. there is a reason this team has lost their last 4 games after beginning the season 4-0. thats what happen when you refuse to play your best players. their coach deserves to be fired immediately

I highly doubt anyone in the Arizona front office considers it a sin that some undrafted FA in William Powell is not getting touches. The 49ers are the best defense in the NFL, averaging sub 1 YPC was expected when you have a line as bad as the Cardinals. I didn't see people saying fire Whiz after LSH went for 5.2 YPC against a very good Minnesota defense the week before, and 150 total yards. Running is only one part of what a back does, ball control, pass blocking, route running, ability to catch the ball are also factors. From what we have seen LSH is better at controlling the ball (only 1 fumble in over 500 touches), is a better pass blocker, is very good out of the backfield at catching and running. Powell was never going to be the pick up of the year, and no coach is on the hot seat for not playing him. He is who we thought he was, a long shot that would of made a nice story, but has severe limitations to his game (not good in pass pro, has fumbling issues), he dug his own grave, not the coach. He fumbled twice in 20 touches and got Kolb killed by missing a blocking assignment. He is buried, by his own doing. Why can't people just admit that and move on? Why is it so hard?

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Root Admin

If Beanie comes back, does it matter? You can't play Powell next week unless you're a masochist and then he has a BYE. Even if LSH gets hurt and Powell is last man standing, you'd get what? 1 start out of him if the reports on Beanie are correct? Time to blow this thread up until circumstances drastically change.....

• Like 1

The entertainment value in this thread is getting me through hurricane aftermath. You are all heroes and I will spend my precious remaining iPhone charge reading it.

Holding onto Powell for one more week!

• Like 1

I highly doubt anyone in the Arizona front office considers it a sin that some undrafted FA in William Powell is not getting touches. The 49ers are the best defense in the NFL, averaging sub 1 YPC was expected when you have a line as bad as the Cardinals. I didn't see people saying fire Whiz after LSH went for 5.2 YPC against a very good Minnesota defense the week before, and 150 total yards. Running is only one part of what a back does, ball control, pass blocking, route running, ability to catch the ball are also factors. From what we have seen LSH is better at controlling the ball (only 1 fumble in over 500 touches), is a better pass blocker, is very good out of the backfield at catching and running. Powell was never going to be the pick up of the year, and no coach is on the hot seat for not playing him. He is who we thought he was, a long shot that would of made a nice story, but has severe limitations to his game (not good in pass pro, has fumbling issues), he dug his own grave, not the coach. He fumbled twice in 20 touches and got Kolb killed by missing a blocking assignment. He is buried, by his own doing. Why can't people just admit that and move on? Why is it so hard?

LSH's game log with 5+ carries

8 carries -14 yards

11 carries 22 yards

22 carries 104 yards 1 TD

8 carries 6 yards

he is pure garbage there is no arguing it. over half of his carries go for negative yards. powell led the league in rushing during preseason and the one game he got carries he went 13 carries for 70 yards. he should have been given a chance. and i disagree with you i think the front office should be concerned that this team began the season 4-0 and is now 4-4 that is pretty bad. btw i dropped powell over a week ago i realize he has no fantasy value i just find it ridiculous they dont give him a chance when he produces with limited opportunities and LSH is just pathetic

8 carries -14 yards

11 carries 22 yards

8 carries 6 yards

he is pure garbage there is no arguing it. over half of his carries go for negative yards. powell led the league in rushing during preseason and the one game he got carries he went 13 carries for 70 yards. he should have been given a chance. and i disagree with you i think the front office should be concerned that this team began the season 4-0 and is now 4-4 that is pretty bad. btw i dropped powell over a week ago i realize he has no fantasy value i just find it ridiculous they dont give him a chance when he produces with limited opportunities and LSH is just pathetic

That is one variable in the equation. The fact is Arizona knows they will struggle to run, hence why they shut it down last night so early and starting throwing. So they value other things to determine PT, as I mentioned above. Ball security, pass blocking, and pass catching are what they care about most when determining snap counts. Powell has had trouble hanging onto the football, and has had trouble in pass protection. This situation is like what the Giants was early in the season when people thought Wilson would unseat Bradshaw just because he is a better "runner". Wilson may be a better runner than Bradshaw, but Bradshaw is the much better "football player" in an all around regard. That is the same thing with LSH and Powell. Powell may be a better "runner" than LSH, but LSH is the much better all around back for what the Cardinals are looking for. That is why you do not see Powell getting touches.

Edited by Cmilne23

LSH is not the guy. He is averaging 2.6 yards a carry on the season and 3.5 on his career. There is no upside there.

At least Powell posseses a good deal of upside. So what he didn't pan out no reason to get mad about it. What if he had been getting carries and breaking long TD runs?

Can you please explain how Powell possibly has "upside"?

He's quick? That means nothing. LSH has a 40-time in the 4.4 range.

The fact that Powell has less than 50 career NFL and college carries COMBINED does not mean he is some mysterious superstar, it means that he just isn't that talented.

A below-average rookie RB behind the worst offensive line in football does not equal upside.

Can you please explain how Powell possibly has "upside"?

He's quick? That means nothing. LSH has a 40-time in the 4.4 range.

The fact that Powell has less than 50 career NFL and college carries COMBINED does not mean he is some mysterious superstar, it means that he just isn't that talented.

A below-average rookie RB behind the worst offensive line in football does not equal upside.

fantasy players often confuse upside with the unknown. what they really mean is that they already know what guys such as beanie, benson, and turner bring to the table. that is, they have decided that those guys suck. therefore, they conclude that powell, green, and rodgers must have at least as much upside as the trio mentioned above. of course, they ignore the fact that beanie, benson, and turner start over those guys for a reason...

8 carries -14 yards

11 carries 22 yards

8 carries 6 yards

That is one variable in the equation. The fact is Arizona knows they will struggle to run, hence why they shut it down last night so early and starting throwing. So they value other things to determine PT, as I mentioned above. Ball security, pass blocking, and pass catching are what they care about most when determining snap counts. Powell has had trouble hanging onto the football, and has had trouble in pass protection. This situation is like what the Giants was early in the season when people thought Wilson would unseat Bradshaw just because he is a better "runner". Wilson may be a better runner than Bradshaw, but Bradshaw is the much better "football player" in an all around regard. That is the same thing with LSH and Powell. Powell may be a better "runner" than LSH, but LSH is the much better all around back for what the Cardinals are looking for. That is why you do not see Powell getting touches.

Then they must be looking to lose. Well, they're certainly getting their wish, aren't they, lol.

• Root Admin

8 carries -14 yards

11 carries 22 yards

8 carries 6 yards

Then they must be looking to lose. Well, they're certainly getting their wish, aren't they, lol.

Why can't both be poor options? Probably closer to the truth.....And despite what a lot of folks in this thread are hoping, Beanie is probably the best they got (and I'm not a Beanie guy)....

Why can't both be poor options? Probably closer to the truth.....And despite what a lot of folks in this thread are hoping, Beanie is probably the best they got (and I'm not a Beanie guy)....

It's quite possible they are, but if your two available RBs are averaging 2.6 YPC and 4.6 YPC, why not at least give the latter guy a shot? Powell is, in fact, the only Cardinals back this year averaging over THREE yards a carry, let alone four. And they've given up 11 sacks in two weeks, so it's not like LSH is doing that great a job of keeping his QB upright. He's caught 2 more balls than Powell, so it's not a huge production difference there.

I'm fully aware that Powell is no superstar in waiting, and he may ending up falling flat, but it makes no sense to me that the Cardinals aren't at least giving him a chance, until Beanie comes back anyway. It's not like what they're doing is working.

• Like 1
  • Root Admin

It's quite possible they are, but if your two available RBs are averaging 2.6 YPC and 4.6 YPC, why not at least give the latter guy a shot? Powell is, in fact, the only Cardinals back this year averaging over THREE yards a carry, let alone four. And they've given up 11 sacks in two weeks, so it's not like LSH is doing that great a job of keeping his QB upright. He's caught 2 more balls than Powell, so it's not a huge production difference there.

I'm fully aware that Powell is no superstar in waiting, and he may ending up falling flat, but it makes no sense to me that the Cardinals aren't at least giving him a chance, until Beanie comes back anyway. It's not like what they're doing is working.

I'm thinking it's the fact that he has trouble going from point A to point B without putting the ball on the ground, but only the Whiz really knows.....

I'm thinking it's the fact that he has trouble going from point A to point B without putting the ball on the ground, but only the Whiz really knows.....

I think they think if they put Powell on the field Skelton will get blown up because he can't handle Pass Pro.

I think they think if they put Powell on the field Skelton will get blown up because he can't handle Pass Pro.

So 11 sacks in 2 games is good pass protection? I suppose I can buy the fumble thing, although Powell hasn't actually lost a fumble this year (but he does have two fumbles in somewhat limited touches).

Whatever... if the game results of the last two weeks are good enough for Whiz, then keep on keepin' on coach! SMH and LOL at the same time...

8 carries -14 yards

11 carries 22 yards

8 carries 6 yards

Your box score watching. Some people get in the mindset of evaluating football decisions based on fantasy statistics. I fall victim to this sometimes as well. Opinions can sometimes be skewed by surface stats. But if you watch actual game tape of Powell and Stephens-Howling, you will see that Powell offers almost nothing to a team other than being decent at running with the ball when given the opportunity in small sample sizes. However, his blown blocking assignment got Kolb's ribs destroyed and that put him in the dog house and he has not come out of it since then. Same type of deal that we broke down in the Bradshaw and Wilson threads this season. Some coaches like a back that can get down and dirty and take on blitzers and be sound in pass protection. That Cardinals have the worst offensive line in football, that is not even close. So they have to go with the back that gives them the best chance at keeping there QB's from getting killed. After Skelton all they have left is Lindley as Kolb is nowhere close to returning. Its not really a tough situation to break down or figure out if you watch the games. Powell just doesn't fit what Arizona needs from an RB this season. Thats not to say once Arizona makes upgrades to there O-line that maybe down the road he emerges on the scene. But it won't be this year.

6 yards on 8 rushes or something? yup howling is definitely the guy. haahahaha

+3 catches for 32 yards.

WiPo = 0 carries, 0 catches, 0 yards.

reminds me of the argument in 2010 when people were saying that steve slaton was better than arian foster. LOL

when given the opportunity, powell has looked better than that scrub howling. This is the same team that refuses to throw to larry fitzgerald, but i guess andre roberts > fitz too right?

Edited by wholefnshoe

+3 catches for 32 yards.

reminds me of the argument in 2010 when people were saying that steve slaton was better than arian foster. LOL

when given the opportunity, powell has looked better than that scrub howling. This is the same team that refuses to throw to larry fitzgerald, but i guess andre roberts > fitz too right?

Fitzgerald has a long sample size of success, he just has putrid QB's throwing to him and double coverage on every possession. That is a horrible analogy. How does Powell get put in the same sentence as a future hall of fame WR?

+3 catches for 32 yards.

Fitzgerald has a long sample size of success, he just has putrid QB's throwing to him and double coverage on every possession. That is a horrible analogy. How does Powell get put in the same sentence as a future hall of fame WR?

Yeah seriously. I mean on one hand you have one of the most talented and skilled players in the league, and on the other hand you have Fitgerald...

• Like 1

Everyone needs to get off the "Powell-is-a-fantasy-savior-if-Wiz-gave-him-a-shot" train. See above. This is THE answer. We're all wasting valuable brain cells trying to solve the wrong equation:

The equation we're all killing ourselves with currently is:

William Powell > LSH

or

LSH > William Powell

We need to realize that the equation should be:

William Powell & LSH < Most other backups in the NFL

Look, AZ's O-line is awful. I don't care what anyone says: when your team leads the NFL in sacks and your starting QB gets injured TWICE (Skelton first, then Kolb), you have O line issues.

The defense has softened considerably since early in the season so there's no real chance of playing 'clock control' football.

Both of these guys are 3rd and 4th string RBs for a reason.

Time to move on.

• Like 1

I doubt he collects any less dust at the end of your bench whether he's starting or not. If you were counting on this guy to save your season, better luck next year. I'm guessing many owners have passed over a few gems on the WW while trying to polish this turd.