NBC Sports EDGE Forums

How Do You Personally Evaluate Or Put Together Trades?

Savatage79

Personally, i just dont know how or why some have turned on Turner so quick. Hes had 1300 back to back seasons with over 10 TDs every season.

I get that Jizz is there, i get it. But Turner is only 30, im not saying hes going to have 1700 yds, but i dont think 1000-1100 is out of the question.

Plus if Rodgers gets hurt, falls back on Turners hands.

Not to OT this, but he's got a ton of wear and tear on him, he's hit the magic falloff age for high use running backs and was looking like absolute garbage weeks 11 through 16.

He's always been a guy who mainly racks up monster weeks versus bad run defenses and is awful versus average to good ones and it looked to be even worse last year.

Maybe he still kills it? IDK, my money's on him giving way this year though and they look to be into a committee anyway.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In leagues where I personally know the players, if I want to make a trade I'll usually approach them outside of the league through things like text messages, facebook im, etc. and just be like "Hey you have this (or these) players that I would like, are you willing to trade them and what would you want in return?" Then give them an idea of who you're willing to give up. I find that works a lot easier and quicker than just making blind offers on what you think they want. You're also a lot less likely to insult them with your initial offer.

In leagues where you don't know the players well, I'd just make an offer and then explain in the message section why I think it's a fair trade and say I'm open to counter-offers.

Usually it's hard to make trades in the preseason because people's expectations are high, but once the season is underway and they start worrying about weakpoints they'll be more open to deal.

Any good sites to use for a trade analyzer? I know Fantasy basketball has BBM, which breaks down the value and shows the stats comparison. I'm waiting till after week 1 before I start getting trades out. You potentially could trade this year's Cam Newton before he even plays -_-

//www.fantasysp.com/nfl_trade_analyzer/

Most importantly when evaluating a trade, DO NOT listen to any of the people on here, do what you want not what these minions think.

this is so true. i use the assistant coach forum to find out whether i did a good trade or not. if most of the people replying to my thread are against, i go through with the trade. works everytime.

I always look for win-win situations, no kidding. I dont want to ripoff my trading partner. Maybe I have a great RB in the bench but lack an elite TE, well, I look for an owner that has a such a TE but has a RB3 as the starter.... thats how I usually do deals.

I usually make a lowball offer, unintentionally offending the potential trading partners and get rejected because they lack the imagination to counter offer which confirms my unintentional offense of their Intelleigence.

But what works the best is a text or email saying 'Hi, I want Greg the Leg and willing to give up Aaron Rodgers for him?"

The response has been the same, "No way! The Leg is mine!"

But for real, a text/email opening communication stating interest in their player without offering anyone initially has resulted in more trades than the standard trade proposal. I like to let them make an offer because once they do they typically stick to it.

I find doing need for need trades work the most. I'll target a guy who is lacking in something that I have depth in and focus on him. I also find keeping the deals small tends to make things smoother as well. 1 for 1's are easier to pull off cause they have less moving parts and the other owner still feels his team is mostly intact. Some people don't care though I always ask myself before I send a deal out if the guy would realistically benefit from the deal. If the answer is yes then the likelyhood of him taking the deal increase. Sometimes I'll have a moron offer me say another QB when I'm already stacked there. Just use common sense and offer value for value and it tends to move quicker.

We've got an interesting back-and-forth going on in another thread that I think is very relevant to the conversation in this one:

When you start off with that bad of an offer, I won't counter. You have probably learned this by now. You also could have just sent an message asking, I know you also know how to do that as you did that for Isaiah Pead who is not even on my team.

I find absolutely hilarious the fact that people think there's some kind of actual difference between sending an email asking, and instead just tossing a couple players into a trade offer real quick.

If I'm offering you some players in exchange for Julio Jones...guess what? I'm interested in Julio Jones! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, LMAO.

One is an offer, the other is an inquiry. Difference, look it up. You send me crap, you get crap in return. You inquire, you may find out what I am actually looking for.

Offers are inquiries, in my book.

No one should ever expect the very first offer to be accepted. An offer lets you know what I'm interested in by the fact that I'm making an offer for it. You responding back, either with a counterproposal or a rejection (with a note, I usually send notes along with my offers), lets me know what you're looking for.

Saves time when I'm making a bunch of trade offers each day. If I had to write a prologue for all of them with an email before I even sent an offer, the whole process would end up moving at a glacial pace.

I never like to work on trades off the league page unless it's literally a personal IRL friends league.

Just this MLB season I had 3 separate trades that were agreed upon through Twitter DM wind up rejected once I sent the real proposal on the league page, cause they "sat down and looked at the numbers", or something else lamesky ville excuse-athon 600 like that.

It winds up quite aggravating and leaves a real foul taste in your mouth for any future deals and when I get the Twitter message like a month later, "So, you have an interest in moving Trumbo?" from the same blockhead I want to poor gasoline on my laptop and strike a match! :lol:

So I'll start talks through email or Twitter at times with people I know but am not IRL friends with, but I mainly try to avoid it like the plague and my one absolute necessary to continue talks is when we're getting close I'll tell them to send something along the lines of what we're talking on the actual league page or I'm done talking altogether. Truthfully, I really, really try to avoid it though.

Nothing irks me like 45 minutes of back and forth DM's or emails, straight agreeing on a deal, offering it on the league page, then the person stops replying to their DM's or emails for a few hours to a day or two and then say, "Eh, I've had a change of heart man, ran the numbers..."

What, you weren't "running the numbers" in another tab when we were haggling it out?

/end rant

We've got an interesting back-and-forth going on in another thread that I think is very relevant to the conversation in this one:

When you start off with that bad of an offer, I won't counter. You have probably learned this by now. You also could have just sent an message asking, I know you also know how to do that as you did that for Isaiah Pead who is not even on my team.

I find absolutely hilarious the fact that people think there's some kind of actual difference between sending an email asking, and instead just tossing a couple players into a trade offer real quick.

If I'm offering you some players in exchange for Julio Jones...guess what? I'm interested in Julio Jones! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, LMAO.

One is an offer, the other is an inquiry. Difference, look it up. You send me crap, you get crap in return. You inquire, you may find out what I am actually looking for.

Offers are inquiries, in my book.

No one should ever expect the very first offer to be accepted. An offer lets you know what I'm interested in by the fact that I'm making an offer for it. You responding back, either with a counterproposal or a rejection (with a note, I usually send notes along with my offers), lets me know what you're looking for.

Saves time when I'm making a bunch of trade offers each day. If I had to write a prologue for all of them with an email before I even sent an offer, the whole process would end up moving at a glacial pace.

To be right up front blunt, I can't stand when dudes like southernSteeler are in my league.

I find it interesting that LT Drebin doesn't want to be in a league with people like me, yet what I have suggested so far to Robrain is exactly what Tucker 26 above has stated..................and LT. Drebin liked it?

Drebin, until you experience the life of being in a league with Robrain, you may want to reserve your judgement on people until you know the entire history.

I find it interesting that LT Drebin doesn't want to be in a league with people like me, yet what I have suggested so far to Robrain is exactly what Tucker 26 above has stated..................and LT. Drebin liked it?

Drebin, until you experience the life of being in a league with Robrain, you may want to reserve your judgement on people until you know the entire history.

I liked it for this part:

"I usually make a lowball offer, unintentionally offending the potential trading partners and get rejected because they lack the imagination to counter offer which confirms my unintentional offense of their Intelleigence. "

I noted a hint of sarcasm there, did you?

"I usually make a lowball offer, unintentionally offending the potential trading partners and get rejected because they lack the imagination to counter offer which confirms my unintentional offense of their Intelleigence. "

Indeed. I also like the Greg the Leg for Rodgers part. I liked it for comedic value.

Fair enough lol. But if you're one of "those guys" who actually gets so offended by an opening offer from whoever offers it and then never counters or replies and actually takes long term offense to it, my statement stands.

Indeed. I also like the Greg the Leg for Rodgers part. I liked it for comedic value.

Well then, congrats. You totally missed his main point, but the comedic value was good.

Fair enough lol. But if you're one of "those guys" who actually gets so offended by an opening offer from whoever offers it and then never counters or replies and actually takes long term offense to it, my statement stands.

I don't take offense. An offer is an offer, but if the offer is crap to begin with, then I don't spend any additional time on it. I also adjust that depending on who is in the league. I am in a couple of leagues with some newbies and expect bad trade offers. Robrain talks about how knowledgeable he is, so I expect better.

I saw his response in the Bad Trade Offer Thread actually, where he makes light of himself saying the thread was made for him or something like that haha.

I take it he is of the perpetually awful trade offer crowd?

I will say, I tend to be myself, at least on initial offer. Why am I going to offer something great the first time? Either the other team is going to see it as they can milk me for more because it's an initial offer or I may have been able to land the player I wanted for less by starting off with a weak offer and haggling back and forth.

I saw his response in the Bad Trade Offer Thread actually, where he makes light of himself saying the thread was made for him or something like that haha.

I will say, I tend to be myself, at least on initial offer. Why am I going to offer something great the first time? Either the other team is going to see it as they can milk me for more because it's an initial offer or I may have been able to land the player I wanted for less by starting off with a weak offer and haggling back and forth.

Exactly. Just because I'm interested in a player doesn't mean I have to spill my guts on the first offer. The idea is to work towards the middle, and see if it the actual price is equal to what you had in mind. That's why it's called trade negotiations.

I think there is a difference between a "low ball" offer and a bad trade offer as well. I understand low balling and consider that a little different that just "not even close". If I get or give a low ball offer, there is something to build from. If I get an awful offer, I tend to think that the value's of players is so far off that it would be a waste of time to go further.

As I think I told Robrain in the other thread, we also need to be willing to adjust how we send offers..........especially in leagues that have people we always play FFB with. We should be able to learn their trading likes/dislikes to some point.

I think there is a difference between a "low ball" offer and a bad trade offer as well. I understand low balling and consider that a little different that just "not even close". If I get or give a low ball offer, there is something to build from. If I get an awful offer, I tend to think that the value's of players is so far off that it would be a waste of time to go further.

As I think I told Robrain in the other thread, we also need to be willing to adjust how we send offers..........especially in leagues that have people we always play FFB with. We should be able to learn their trading likes/dislikes to some point.

I was just in the other thread, my deepest condolences to you and your team...

Julio Jones for a pile of used rubbers lol.

Trades I've completed so far before the season has even begun:

12-team PPR redraft:

I gave:

Demaryius Thomas

Shonn Greene

Brian Quick

Stephen Gostkowski

I received:

DeMarco Murray

Felix Jones

Sebastian Janikowski

----------------------------

I gave:

DeMarco Murray

Antonio Gates

Felix Jones

PIT DEF

I received:

Darren McFadden

Mike Goodson

Jared Cook

SF DEF

I gave:

Jared Cook

+some FAAB $

I received:

Sidney Rice

I gave:

Rashad Jennings

I received:

Jerome Simpson

+some FAAB $

In the dynasty league that I'm in with Southern Steeler, I've completed *at least* 7 trades since I took over this team on ~July 10th. I'm not going to list all of them since some included draft picks that I'd have to go and look up.

5 days ago, I traded:

Jonathan Dwyer

Leonard Hankerson

I received:

Desean Jackson

The next day, I completed the following trade. I gave:

Willis McGahee

Shane Vereen

I received:

Steve Smith (CAR)

James Starks

The day after that trade processed, I made this trade. I gave:

Steve Smith (CAR)

Kyle Rudolph

I received:

Jermichael Finley

Stevie Johnson

Yes, I send a lot of offers. And I make a lot of trades because of it.

If someone wants to send me an offer, I'll always do them the courtesy of responding to it with my reasoning if I reject it, even if that reasoning is simply "no way, Megatron is locked into my roster as one of my best players, I'm not interested in trading him".

Because the long story is, communicating is what makes trades happen. Being stubborn and not communicating just throws a big wrench in everything.

Trades require one simple thing in my opinion.

Both teams need to know what the other one is interested in.

That's it. That's the knowledge you almost always build a trade off of.

There's no need to jump through hoops and send unnecessary emails to pass that information back and forth.

I'm scanning 12 different teams rosters. I see a player I like. I glance at the rest of their roster really quickly, try to see something that I think has even a sliver of potential interest for them, I fire off a trade offer. I don't have any idea at this point what they want, since most of the teams are lazy and don't keep their trading block updated (or even use it at all).

Until I get some kind of response back, I cannot possibly have any clue what they could potentially be interested in on my roster. I won't be able to make them a serious offer until I know what they want in return from me for that player. It's only at that point that negotiations can really begin. Because I might immediately realize they want far far more than I'm willing to give up to acquire said player.

You really have to pass the information of what both parties are interested in, before actual negotiations can begin.

I don't usually send emails because I've noticed that a lot of people don't check their email. Twitter and Facebook for example, are used far far FAR more frequently in my Friends and Family league for trade talks, since everyone checks that a million times more per day than they do their email. Also, lots of times if people have a work email that they constantly check during the day, they don't check the email associated with their Yahoo! Fantasy Football account. A trade inquiry sent by email to them could end up sitting unread for weeks at a time.

Robrain,

I work full time, am going to college, have a family and play in too many FFB leagues. If you don't have the time to put a legit offer (even if low ball) to get a player from MY team that YOU want, then why should I spend the time in return?

If you send me an email, PM on RW I respond. I even responded to the email you sent me about Pead, who was NOT even on my team.

I have told you what I did or didn't want in order to trade a player and you still sent offers.

So I again tell you, it doesn't do me any good to respond to you because you get so caught up in your trades that you forget what I tell you. I told you in the beginning what I would want for Julio, you sent 2 more offers without any of what I wanted.

So you just wasted my time. That is what I have learned.

Archived