NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Charlie Manuel

Wizard of Boz

First, he doesn't need to be fired, his contract is expired. Effective right now he is not employed by the Phillies. If they wanted him back, they would have extended him when they won the division.

Second, allowing JC Romero to pitch to Jeff Baker basically sealed the deal. I don't understand how someone who gets paid to manage cannot see things coming that I can. That one was obvious.

Third, if Clint Hurdle doesn't win the Manager of the Year, there is something wrong.

After seeing Charlie Manuel in the post game interviews throughout the past week it's become apparant that the guy is a total moron. He can't even mutter a sentence without tripping over words like 'offensively' or 'strikeout.' It's hard to imagine how he interviewed well enough to ever capture a managerial position. The Phillies need to get rid of this neanderthal...

The Phillies reportedly offered manager Charlie Manuel a contract extension during the final week of the season.

"They basically told me that I did a good job and they wanted me back," Manuel said last night before Game 3 of the NLDS. "I told them I would talk to them at the end of the year. I told them that right now I was focused on winning games." Manuel is a free agent, but he'll back with the Phillies, probably on a two-year deal.

YES, the downside of the phillies winning the division...charlie will be back..

at least the rest of the country can see now what phillie and indian fans already know..he's a horrible in-game manager...

and the team plays relaxed, providing they arent in first place or in a playoff series...

which has a best case scenario of exactly what happened this year...win the division on the last day and lose in the playoffs

if you watched this guy attempt to manage day in and day out during the season you would understand..

he got on a roll with picking the right guys to start/bench down the stretch, and is creditted with having his players play relaxed, etc...but he loses you at least 5 games a year that other managers would not, just with horrible handling of moves during the year.... back that up with the fact that he is incapable of using the english language to explain any of those horrible moves, and it becomes all the more vexing....

he does stuff like remembering to put in a pinch runner when they are 3 pitches into the next at bat...waiting to let the opponent announce their pinch hitter (officially putting that player into the game) before he makes a pitching change in response to it (that cost them 1 game this year)....it took him half of his first season to learn how to use the double switch.... he learned the idea of pinch running for burrell late in games, and started doing it every game without thinking, no matter the situation...he'd do that down 3 runs in the 7th and then burrell's spot would come up in the 9th and we'd be hitting michael bourn...

i could go on and on....

Manuel guided u guys to the playoffs when ur season was lost. I dont get why hes bashed so much in Phil Town.

Raef I see what ur saying. Ive heard about the double switch thing many time as well. I just guess I have a soft spot for the guy. Hes been abused by the fans and media all year and his team performed admirably in spite of it IMO. He seems like a good guy too. People make mistakes I understand but this guy did take u to the playoffs and at least deserves a bit of a break for doing so. Hes made mistakes yes but the guy has done more good than bad Im sure.

Here is Rotoworld's take:

Phillies signed manager Charlie Manuel to a two-year contract with a club option for 2010.

There's a good chance Manuel wouldn't have been brought back had the Phillies failed to reach the postseason, but they had to reward him after he succeeded and a one-year proposal would have been an insult. He'll be in danger again if the Phillies disappoint in 2008. Oct. 9 - 9:11 pm et

if the mets hadnt collapsed, it would have been the third straight year they would have just missed the playoffs, and each time you could directly relate it to the handful of games charlie loses during the year..

and to hear him attempt to explain his mangerial blunders after the game is an incomporable experience....

Raef I see what ur saying. Ive heard about the double switch thing many time as well. I just guess I have a soft spot for the guy. Hes been abused by the fans and media all year and his team performed admirably in spite of it IMO. He seems like a good guy too. People make mistakes I understand but this guy did take u to the playoffs and at least deserves a bit of a break for doing so. Hes made mistakes yes but the guy has done more good than bad Im sure.

Archived