NBC Sports EDGE Forums

There might be some light !!

Wizard of Boz

Kevin Jones says he's ready to see a bigger workload going forward after playing most of the second half Sunday.

"I’m good enough to play and good enough to get the ball," he said. Referring to how he performed in the second half against Washington, Jones added "Hopefully that shows them that I can go." The Lions go on a bye this week. Jones could regain his starting job from Tatum Bell in Week 7. Source: Detroit Free Press

Kevin Jones appears to be on the cusp of reclaiming the outright starting spot with the Lions, which also would make him a viable weekly starter in most fantasy formats. However this may not be the week as the Redskins have been solid against the run, but the Lions offense has been clicking early on and will likely continue, making a healthy Jones a solid play going forward..

Though NFL trades during the season are rare, there is logic behind the Lions dealing Bell. The former Broncos back could be of interest to teams like the Bucs, Packers and yes, his old Mile High team. Bell owners should hold on to him regardless, or at least until Jones takes the lions share of the carries. If you own Jones and Bell were to be dealt, make sure you grab T. J. Duckett.

If Kevin Jones comes through this Sunday's game looking good, you shouldn't be surprised if the Lions start taking offers for running back Tatum Bell according to Tom Kowalski during an interview with WDFN-AM.

With Jones healthy, the Lions would have a wealth of depth at the running back position with T.J. Duckett and the recently-signed Aveion Cason. That combined with the fact that Bell is in the final year of his contract, and unlikely to return to Detroit next season regardless, makes him a tradable commodity as the trading deadline approaches.

Source: mlive.com

I figured this week was the week he'd take over the starting role. As a Lions fan and owner that doesn't really need him as of yet I'm thrilled with the way the Lions have handled him. Had he been rushed back into 20+ touches a game I think his risk for re-injury would have been much greater. They've basically given him his pre-season work before the bye and after the bye he'll hopefully re-assume the starting role as he would have in week 1 if he were healthy. The Lions really need to establish the run to keep Kitna from getting killed back there and Jones is an excellent fit for Martz's offense with good hands and being a strong one cut runner. I look for Bell to get some touches as the season goes on, but they should dwindle quite a bit towards the end of the year (fantasy playoffs). I doubt Bell gets dealt although it would make a little sense if they could get a 3rd-4th rounder out of a team desperate for RB help. Otherwise they might as well keep him as insurance just in case Jones goes down and they're still in the hunt for a playoff spot. Cason and Duckett is surely not an inspiring tandom.

I figured this week was the week he'd take over the starting role. As a Lions fan and owner that doesn't really need him as of yet I'm thrilled with the way the Lions have handled him. Had he been rushed back into 20+ touches a game I think his risk for re-injury would have been much greater. They've basically given him his pre-season work before the bye and after the bye he'll hopefully re-assume the starting role as he would have in week 1 if he were healthy. The Lions really need to establish the run to keep Kitna from getting killed back there and Jones is an excellent fit for Martz's offense with good hands and being a strong one cut runner. I look for Bell to get some touches as the season goes on, but they should dwindle quite a bit towards the end of the year (fantasy playoffs). I doubt Bell gets dealt although it would make a little sense if they could get a 3rd-4th rounder out of a team desperate for RB help. Otherwise they might as well keep him as insurance just in case Jones goes down and they're still in the hunt for a playoff spot. Cason and Duckett is surely not an inspiring tandom.

So true Nicka. Thanks for the input bro.

Geeeeeesh , no one cares about Kevin Jones? lol

i had him stashed away in my money league for a rainy day, and i'm looking forward to using him.

the matchups don't look great going forwrd, but he should be helpful.

I recomend not getting your hopes for that light. Ever see that movie White Noise 2? Where he is going towards the light and seeing it, and then is sucked back to reality? Well that is where KJ is headed, he just hasn't been brought back to reality yet. The only hope I would give him is if Kitna can get them ahead early.

I recomend not getting your hopes for that light. Ever see that movie White Noise 2? Where he is going towards the light and seeing it, and then is sucked back to reality? Well that is where KJ is headed, he just hasn't been brought back to reality yet. The only hope I would give him is if Kitna can get them ahead early.

Ok guess we'll just have to see, I disagree with you on that. KJ has looked better and better since his injury. After the bye week, I think he will regain his role as the starter and have the majority of the carries. As you stated.. the only hope is that Kitna get them a lead.....well in order for a balanced offense you need a running game other then just a passing game, and with the way Bell has been fumbling the ball. I think its time for Detroit to insert KJ as the starter since we all know Bell isnt doing it...Just my opinion.

well, i just traded for KJ! Gave Brandon Marshall for KJ. I will fix my WR depth problems through waiver (gonna get Bobby Engram, should be great for 2 games with Branch out and matchups against NO and STL).

I looked up KJ stats last year. He was a really good recieving RB. He averaged 43 yards recieving a game. I expect that number or even more for the rest of the season. I think he'll be good to average 90+ yards per game rushing and recieving with some TD's.

Kevin Jones says he's ready to see a bigger workload going forward after playing most of the second half Sunday.

"I'm good enough to play and good enough to get the ball," he said. Referring to how he performed in the second half against Washington, Jones added "Hopefully that shows them that I can go." The Lions go on a bye this week. Jones could regain his starting job from Tatum Bell in Week 7. Source: Detroit Free Press

Kevin Jones appears to be on the cusp of reclaiming the outright starting spot with the Lions, which also would make him a viable weekly starter in most fantasy formats. However this may not be the week as the Redskins have been solid against the run, but the Lions offense has been clicking early on and will likely continue, making a healthy Jones a solid play going forward..

Though NFL trades during the season are rare, there is logic behind the Lions dealing Bell. The former Broncos back could be of interest to teams like the Bucs, Packers and yes, his old Mile High team. Bell owners should hold on to him regardless, or at least until Jones takes the lions share of the carries. If you own Jones and Bell were to be dealt, make sure you grab T. J. Duckett.

If Kevin Jones comes through this Sunday's game looking good, you shouldn't be surprised if the Lions start taking offers for running back Tatum Bell according to Tom Kowalski during an interview with WDFN-AM.

With Jones healthy, the Lions would have a wealth of depth at the running back position with T.J. Duckett and the recently-signed Aveion Cason. That combined with the fact that Bell is in the final year of his contract, and unlikely to return to Detroit next season regardless, makes him a tradable commodity as the trading deadline approaches.

Source: mlive.com

can someone point out some recent in season trades in the nfl? i cant think of any???

can someone point out some recent in season trades in the nfl? i cant think of any???

I know Tim Rattay got traded from the 49ers to the Bucs a couple years back when Chris Simms went out for the year. There certainly isn't many that's for sure.

And if there were any, most are not of significant fantasy impact. They way the contracts are structured in the NFL, players are usually cut before having to be traded.

Good point. I can't think of any either. I'm sure it has to do with clauses in the players contracts. Guaranteed money, yardage bonuses, games played and other stuff. Probably a good thing since teams and GM's would manipulate this system if it wasn't set up the way that it is. Otherwise TO, Keyshawn and a few others would have been traded in a heartbeat instead of just sitting and making money.

common guys, there was jus one this season and it was kinda significant.

charlie frye to Seattle ring a bell?? derek anderson now a fantasy stud for the past 4 weeks. thats pretty relevant trade.

i just traded for kevin jones....i gave up MJD and joey galloway and in return i got KJ and Andre Johnson.....

im hoping KJ is gonna be a duel threat recieving and rushing in that offense...apparently he's looked great in practices and the second half of last game he showed explosiveness....fingers crossed!

The only one I can think of that ever happened was Deion Branch last year.

That's a borderline one. That trade happened right at the start of the season, Branch didn't play any games for New England. I guess you can consider it in-season.

Archived