NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Whats the holdup !!! Punish one, punish em all !!!

Wizard of Boz

Bengals CB Jonathan Joseph will sit out Week 6 after being suspended for one game for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Joseph will be also be fined an additional game check. The Bengals secondary will be an even better matchup than usual this week for the Chiefs.

So how can Henry, whom was already proven to failed a drug test still be putting this off. Reguardless of who was present or not....Failed drug test is a failed drug test !!!

All Selvin Young owners want the book to be thrown at Henry. B)

I know Im one !!! Honestly though the reason why I want it thrown at him is because Ive seen numberous punishments tossed around this season (Patriots) and in the past (Ricky Williams) almost instantaneously, yet this is being prolonged.

Ahhhh ok, thanks bro....One thing then, why dont all these players that are in jeopardy get the same thing? Or was the TRO made by the NFL.

It's just delaying the inevitable. The temporary restraining order was obtained by Henry though for a couple reasons. He feels he may have a shot at getting out of it, is at risk of a one year suspension as a repeat offender, and apparently may still have financial troubles due to his personal actions (ie, knocking 9 different women up). Joseph could appeal or try for a TRO (which a judge would have to agree that he may have an argument against the test), but he probably feels best of taking his one game against KC.

I'd actually like to know why Joseph only got one game? Isn't the sentence supposed to be four games?

I'd actually like to know why Joseph only got one game? Isn't the sentence supposed to be four games?

This is what is so puzzling about JJ's situation.........violating the substances calls for a 4 game suspension. I guess one thing that could play into this is what drug he failed the test with??? Not sure on this. Obviously if it was marijuana, that would have been mentioned, right? Or did he fail a test because of too much booze in his system???

Regardless of Henry's situation, he should have been suspended the minute he failed another test.......no questions asked. A failed test is a failed test is a failed test no matter what a judge says.

From Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Adam Schefter believes it will realistically take a month before Travis Henry could miss an NFL game.

This news slipped through the cracks late week. The NFL first has to win their legal case with Henry, then they can suspend him. After that happens (which could take a while), Henry can appeal the suspension, which could take up to a month. It appears Henry will make it to November on the team, and it's possible he makes it through most of the year. Fantasy owners could try to buy low on him in the meantime. Henry missed practice Tuesday to challenge his drug test. Oct. 10 - 10:27 am et

It sucks too, the longer they dont suspend him, he can play cant he? JUST SUSPEND HIM ALREADY!

Its all well and good for the NFL to await the legal process to run its course. But Henry is making a mockery of the rules. I don't know if the commissioner has the power to suspend a player "in the interest of football" but I am sure Goodell is tempted. Because Henry was ready to cycle out of the testing program, if the test is thrown out the NFL may not be able to test him again.

Here is the whole story from ESPN. This clears it up. I guess he never failed a drug test. Link to Story

CINCINNATI -- The NFL has suspended starting cornerback Johnathan Joseph for Sunday's game at Kansas City, the Cincinnati Bengals said Tuesday.

Joseph will forfeit his salary for both this game and the Jets game on Oct. 21, the club said. He was suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The second-year pro was arrested in northern Kentucky on Jan. 22 after a Boone County sheriff's deputy stopped a vehicle he was a passenger in and smelled marijuana, according to the police report. Joseph told the deputy he had marijuana in his Super Bowl backpack, where it was found, the report said.

He was placed in a diversionary program open to first-time offenders and the Bengals said Tuesday he complied with all league and law-enforcement obligations to resolve the case.

A 2006 first-round pick from South Carolina, Joseph can't take part in practices this week, but can attend meetings and work out on his own, the Bengals said. He can rejoin the team Monday.

A Bengals spokesman said the club had no further comment.

Joseph was the ninth Bengals player arrested on a variety of charges over a nine-month period.

Archived