NBC Sports Edge Forums

Paul George 2012-2013 Season Outlook - Ascension Into Stardom?

For Keeper Leagues:

K-Love/A Davis/George/Batum

I'm loving Batum's production this year but I just think there's too much future risk with these temperamental Euro players...

I have no idea what that means and Batum is a better keeper and a better player than George.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nah, he's trying to tell you to wait longer than 1 quarter before overreacting.

Huh?

He posted this on twitter the day after that Kings game Put up 500 jump shots.. #NewRoutine gotta get my s--- back! http://instagr.am/p/SwdgUunMqA/ Be patient with him.

For Keeper Leagues:

I'm loving Batum's production this year but I just think there's too much future risk with these temperamental Euro players...

I have no idea what that means and Batum is a better keeper and a better player than George.

I think George will be better than Batum...

Batum is on a team stacked with good players and is the 3rd option.

George is going to be the go to guy in the coming years for the Pacers and the Pacers are trying to move Granger. Not to mention, George is younger too and more raw/better size/more athletic.

For Keeper Leagues:

I think George will be better than Batum...

Batum is on a team stacked with good players and is the 3rd option.

George is going to be the go to guy in the coming years for the Pacers and the Pacers are trying to move Granger. Not to mention, George is younger too and more raw/better size/more athletic.

Agree on situation, but respectfully diagree on the talent part. I find Batum to be superior, especially considering he is producing late first round value not being the "go-to" guy on his team.

• Like 1

I've never seen home/road splits like his in basketball. You usually see that in baseball, specifically at Coors Field. He can't miss at home and is just a massive bricklayer on the road.

Also, the Pacers are such a hard team to watch. David West is a good player, but he's just so boring to watch. Hibbert is brutal to watch. They make the late '90s Knicks look like the Suns from six or seven years ago.

well this game is not very good for fantasy purposes because Pacers/Grizz are the top 2 defensive teams in the NBA so points are hard to come by. George does have 5 rebounds 6 assists today after 3 q's which is nice!

well this game is not very good for fantasy purposes because Pacers/Grizz are the top 2 defensive teams in the NBA so points are hard to come by. George does have 5 rebounds 6 assists today after 3 q's which is nice!

The Grizz are over-helping when Paul George drives and he's finding the wide open man. 8 assists early in the 4th quarter.

Paul George has the tools to be a lot more of a focal point of a team's offense, while Batum is one of those do-it-all Swiss Army knives that championship teams covet. Not factoring in roles, I think Batum is clearly superior. As far as raw talent goes, Batum is more athletic and fundamentally smarter. He is a better passer, has a silkier shot, and is one of the defensive elites in the league. George is younger and a better rebounder, but that's pretty much it. George is definitely going to develop into the better offensive player, but I'd take the far more well-rounded Batum over George any day.

Batum is 24, George is 22.

Yes, it looks like its not big of a different, but in terms of developing, those 2 years are very critical for a player to develop.

George at 24 might be a 25 ppg scorer, who knows, I would take George in a keeper league just for that reason.

...but I'd take the far more well-rounded Batum over George any day.

How so? "Far more" isn't the term I'd use in that context.

I agree. Batum may be the better all around player, but it's pretty close, imho. They're both virtually equal in terms of keeper/dynasty value going forward.

Edited by tremixt

As of now and maybe next year I'll take Batum but I feel like George has a higher ceiling given the fact that he's essentially being touted as the face of the pacers future.

Batum is likewise the face of the Blazers future, go look at new GM Neil Olshey's comments on Batum when he was an RFA and Olshey had just taken over the team. Batum is a superior in every facet of the game except rebounding.

As of now and maybe next year I'll take Batum but I feel like George has a higher ceiling given the fact that he's essentially being touted as the face of the pacers future.

Batum is likewise the face of the Blazers future, go look at new GM Neil Olshey's comments on Batum when he was an RFA and Olshey had just taken over the team. Batum is a superior in every facet of the game except rebounding.

Eh, I'm not sure we can call Batum the face of their franchise with Lillard and Aldridge there. He's better all around than George now, but I like George's long term situation.

Yeah but you have Aldridge and now lilard coming in the way he is. Nobody in Indy is challenging George for that title. They're shopping granger even harder now because of it.

Edited by jayreyd

Paul George has the tools to be a lot more of a focal point of a team's offense, while Batum is one of those do-it-all Swiss Army knives that championship teams covet. Not factoring in roles, I think Batum is clearly superior. As far as raw talent goes, Batum is more athletic and fundamentally smarter. He is a better passer, has a silkier shot, and is one of the defensive elites in the league. George is younger and a better rebounder, but that's pretty much it. George is definitely going to develop into the better offensive player, but I'd take the far more well-rounded Batum over George any day.

Have you watched George play D? He probably deserves consideration for first team all defense. Batum is a solid defender, but George is better IMO. George just locks people down.

Granger's a FA after next season, so he won't be in Indiana long-term. Lillard and Aldridge are in Portland long-term, so George will have a lot less competition. The biggest obstacle for George as an offensive player is that he's poor at drawing fouls and doesn't really finish well around the rim. Drawing fouls is a skill, and George doesn't have a knack for it at this point. He's kind of awkward finishing around the rim for a guy of his size and athleticism. Most of his big scoring games are where he just gets red hot behind the arc.

• Like 1
Have you watched George play D? He probably deserves consideration for first team all defense. Batum is a solid defender, but George is better IMO. George just locks people down.

Granger's a FA after next season, so he won't be in Indiana long-term. Lillard and Aldridge are in Portland long-term, so George will have a lot less competition. The biggest obstacle for George as an offensive player is that he's poor at drawing fouls and doesn't really finish well around the rim. Drawing fouls is a skill, and George doesn't have a knack for it at this point. He's kind of awkward finishing around the rim for a guy of his size and athleticism. Most of his big scoring games are where he just gets red hot behind the arc.

I never said George was a bad defender. I have watched him play, and he definitely is solid at the end of the floor. However, Batum is on a whole different level. He's one of the few players in the league that I've watched who can seemingly shut down the game's premier offensive players without an effort. To be fair, his defense has not been up to his par this season most likely due to a heavy workload, but I'd definitely take Batum's defense ahead of George's.

• Like 1

I never said George was a bad defender. I have watched him play, and he definitely is solid at the end of the floor. However, Batum is on a whole different level. He's one of the few players in the league that I've watched who can seemingly shut down the game's premier offensive players without an effort. To be fair, his defense has not been up to his par this season most likely due to a heavy workload, but I'd definitely take Batum's defense ahead of George's.

The few Portland games I've seen they put Matthews on the other teams primary scorer, including lebron.

How so? "Far more" isn't the term I'd use in that context.

I was talking from a real life perspective, not fantasy.

Still doesn't really answer the question. What makes him so much of a better real life player. PG is a very good, improving defensive player; he can stretch the floor with the 3-ball; he can create his own shot; appears to be improving his ball handling, though he still turns it over; but he probably needs work on his passing, though he does get a decent number of assists on occasion.

Perhaps I'm wrong, as these are not observations but what I've heard?

The few Portland games I've seen they put Matthews on the other teams primary scorer, including lebron.

From what I've seen they typically rotate Matthews and Batum throughout the game off their best scorer. I'm not sure who gets the bulk of that time though...

George is a really excellent defensive player. In fact, that's the most advanced part of his game right now. Offensively, there are games where he looks really dynamic and then there are others when he plays awkwardly and timidly. But, defensively, I think he's one of the top 5 perimeter defenders in the league. LeBron, Sefolosha, and Tony Allen are also up there. In today's Memphis game, George's defense was easily on par with Allen's, who is considered the best perimeter defender in the league.

Edited by mjk356

From what I've seen they typically rotate Matthews and Batum throughout the game off their best scorer. I'm not sure who gets the bulk of that time though...

I know for a fact Matthews started and finished the game on lebron and was matched up with him a lot in between. I remember finding it odd. Not a knock on Wes, but I regard Batum as a great defender and his size matches up with lebron better.

Anyways, PG always guards the other teams primary wing option, and usually locks them up.

You are correct, and again, it's probably another product of Batum receiving such an increase in his workload this season. The kid's playing 8.6 more minutes than he did last season, and is relied on by Portland for so many things, so it's tough for him not to get fatigued with such a burden. Batum was shutting down Lebron (and Kobe, Wade, Johnson, and many other premier offensive players) as early as his rookie year; this year, the Blazers simply can't afford to have him put so much energy into that area of the game considering their practically nonexistent depth.

Still doesn't really answer the question. What makes him so much of a better real life player. PG is a very good, improving defensive player; he can stretch the floor with the 3-ball; he can create his own shot; appears to be improving his ball handling, though he still turns it over; but he probably needs work on his passing, though he does get a decent number of assists on occasion.

Perhaps I'm wrong, as these are not observations but what I've heard?

George's defense is likely the best aspect of his game right now, but it's still not at Batum's level, and I'm not sure it ever will be. His offense was a big question mark coming into the league, and while he's put in a lot of work into it, he's still inconsistent with it. He's scored anywhere between 4 and 37 points this season. However, the same can be said with Batum, which is why scoring output is likely the only thing I see George doing better than Batum when it's all said and done. George has also worked on his playmaking, but Batum already has years of experience with a point forward role in France and is still improving himself.

Those observations that you've been hearing certainly aren't wrong, but Batum is simply better at so many things that it's a no-brainer for me to pick Batum over George, even with the age discrepancy factored in.

Edited by ballsohard