NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Paul George 2012-2013 Season Outlook - Ascension Into Stardom?

Krono87

He's a great rebounder for a SG/SF. Great instincts, always gets up and grabs the ball at its highest point. He's a pretty passive offensive player IMO, really doesn't have a scorer's mentality. Never takes it to the rim for a guy with his size and athleticism. But he's an absolutely great guy to own in fantasy, has the potential to put up the kind of lines Shawn Marion did in Phoenix.

He's a great rebounder for a SG/SF. Great instincts, always gets up and grabs the ball at its highest point. He's a pretty passive offensive player IMO, really doesn't have a scorer's mentality. Never takes it to the rim for a guy with his size and athleticism. But he's an absolutely great guy to own in fantasy, has the potential to put up the kind of lines Shawn Marion did in Phoenix.

Pacers' offense sucks. Look at how well Collison is doing in Dallas.

Pacers' offense sucks. Look at how well Collison is doing in Dallas.

I agree, I'm not a fan of Indy's offensive system at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of George. But he is a fairly passive offensive player, which really has nothing to do with the system he's in. People look at George's physical tools and want him to be a prolific scorer because it's what his profile suggests he should be. But that's not who he is at this point. He's an excellent all-around player, but it just doesn't seem like his mentality is to be a prolific scorer. I obviously have no idea if that will change in the future, but if he continues on the path he's on, he will still be an elite player.

• 2 weeks later...

When you watch him play, he's pretty bad offensively. Just my honest assessment. He really has no clue how to finish at the basket. A lot of Rudy Gay comps have been thrown around, but Gay has a much more polished offensive game. I feared that George would have a terrible FG% with Granger out, and that's been coming to fruition so far.

Yep, as

When you watch him play, he's pretty bad offensively. Just my honest assessment. He really has no clue how to finish at the basket. A lot of Rudy Gay comps have been thrown around, but Gay has a much more polished offensive game. I feared that George would have a terrible FG% with Granger out, and that's been coming to fruition so far.

Yep, as a Pacer fan, I agree with everything you have said. He really has a really limited offensive skill set and is not a strong finisher. He lacks physicality. He either needs to develop better ball handling skills or to bulk up.

Edited by mbroo5880i

As a George owner, I wish Granger was healthy. He would have a much better line with someone else to carry the offensive load. His contributions across the board have increased with his minutes - if he could hit shots at 43% instead of 38%, he would be the guy everyone thought they were drafting.

• Like 1

I am so disgusted by his 37 point game...I started Nicolas Batum over him because of his lackluster performance against Washington and then he knocks down 9 three pointers (in the second half)? Disgusting. The only reason he was so open was because the Hornets didn't respect his jumper. They just let him shoot out of his slump? I hope this continues or this could get ugly. The pacers have been building a city instead of a team this year...

I am so disgusted by his 37 point game...I started Nicolas Batum over him because of his lackluster performance against Washington and then he knocks down 9 three pointers (in the second half)? Disgusting. The only reason he was so open was because the Hornets didn't respect his jumper. They just let him shoot out of his slump? I hope this continues or this could get ugly. The pacers have been building a city instead of a team this year...

why wouldn't you start both? that's your problem right there.

why wouldn't you start both? that's your problem right there.

Looks like he only has a 6 man lineup.

He is taking 4 more shots per game. The problem is that he is settling for jump shots and taking almost 2 more 3 point shots per game. He doesn't have the ball handling skills to drive to the basket consistently. His offensive arsenal is jump shot or dunk.

He is only hitting 41% from the field down from a career average of 44%. He still only gets to the line a little more than 2 times per game.

More shots may lead to more points but his decreased efficiency on a higher volume of shots wouldn't help the team. An increase in scoring due higher percentage shots and more free throws would be better.