NBC Sports Edge Forums

Help with trade

thebestpr21

I'm the commish in my league and I have this pending trade. Albert Pujols for Josh Beckett and Joe Mauer. I'am having a tough time to decide. Obviously, I'm not taking into consideration the poor start of Pujols because there is nothing to worry about the production of Pujols. I just want to hear opinions about this trade. Thanks...

It's a steal for the side getting Pujols.

Pujols is generally the top overall pick in drafts. In my live draft league, Mauer went in Rd 4 and Beckett in 14.

What are you having a tough time deciding? Maybe the guy that has Pujols has a nice backup at corner and he needs/wants a stud catcher and a good pitcher? Yes, he should be able to get more but who are you to decide?

es, he should be able to get more but who are you to decide?

The commish.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. B)

I hate vetoes as much as the next guy, but at first glance it looks like highway robbery. That's why the veto option is in place.

Just my opinion but vetoes usually cause more trouble than they help. Who is the commish to decide what another owner should do with his team (especially if it's a money league) if there is no obvious collusion? What if Albert has the worst year of his career and Beckett lives up to his potential and Mauer ends up being the top rated fantasy catcher? Maybe the other guy has a 1B or CM that replaces Pujols that has a great season. All of this is not likely, but I don't want to be the commissioner that shoots a trade down which would have ended up helping (or maybe even getting him over the top) an owner who "seemed like" he wasn't getting a fair deal at the time.

Just my two cents.

Who is the commish to decide what another owner should do with his team (especially if it's a money league) if there is no obvious collusion?

I was halfway making a joke, but I see and understand your point. And I agree with you. Just like the MLB commissioner who tries to protect the best interests of baseball and inhibit collusion, a league commish has to do the same. It's a fine line sometimes, but someone's got to do it. He's done a service to his league by asking the opinions of others here.

People have their choice on what leagues to join. If they don't like commish or team majority veto power, they can find another league.

Archived