NBC Sports Edge Forums

rate my draft

jimbo504

Draft #3 of 4.

6th pick in a 12 team yahoo H2H PRO league.

C: Miguel Montero (139)

1B: Joey Votto (6)

2B: Jason Kipnis (67)

3B: Chase Headley (78)

SS: Derek Jeter (174)

OF: Jose Bautista (19)

OF: Justin Upton (30)

OF: Yoenis Cespedes (54)

UTIL: Shin-Soo Choo (102)

UTIL: David Ortiz (150)

BN: Kevin Youkilis (235)

BN: Melky Cabrera (222)

SP: Adam Wainwright (43)

SP: Jordan Zimmerman (91)

RP: Glen Perkins (187)

RP: Casey Janssen (198)

P: Dan Haren (115)

P: Josh Johnson (126)

P: Lance Lynn (163)

P: Josh Beckett (211)

BN: Trevor Rosenthal (246)

BN: Matt Garza (259)

BN: Luke Gregerson (270)

I know my closers suck. They went early and I kept getting sniped so I punted saves til later rounds.

Great values:

• J. Upton (#30 -- I'm hoping for a top 10 finish this year)
  • Choo (#102 -- have seen him ranked as high as #35 on some expert draft boards, and he has a chance to shine with his move to a stacked Reds lineup and playing half his games at GAB)
  • Zimmermann (#91 -- he's still criminally underrated given his consistency, and pitchers are usually better in year two following TJ surgery)
  • Cespedes (#54 -- could be a 5 cat beast this year)
  • Ortiz (#150 -- not a bad spot for a guy who consistently puts up OBPs north of .400 with lots of power). I also like Joey Bats at #19.

Questionable picks:

• Headley (#74 -- his power was likely a mirage anyway, and now with a hand injury it may be gone for good)
  • Montero (#139 -- nothing he does excites me, and you probably reached a bit taking him this early)

Overall, looks like a pretty good draft. Obviously you need RP help, and you don't have a bona fide ace on your staff -- although I assume you're hoping Wainwright returns to form this year, and I think he will. You have to hope Kipnis continues to grow (a questionable proposition following his 2nd half last year) and you're relying way too much on a banged up, slow, 39 year old Jeter since you don't have any backup SS. You could use a speedy guy to plug in as a 4th OF / UTIL man too. In my nonexpert opinion, I give this draft a B (with C being average)

wow melky went super late, you're dealing with injuries to headley and papi...papi injury can be handled but headley, that's tough. who to pick up??? you need relief help obviously. your pitching is okay, i'd like to acquire one more bonafide arm.

other than that, i think u have a solid team. good mix of power and speed players. i like jeter at ss this year, a guy who can help your average and not hurt you anywhere while playing a weak position. you should be at the top in the hitting categories every week.

wow melky went super late, you're dealing with injuries to headley and papi...papi injury can be handled but headley, that's tough. who to pick up??? you need relief help obviously. your pitching is okay, i'd like to acquire one more bonafide arm.

other than that, i think u have a solid team. good mix of power and speed players. i like jeter at ss this year, a guy who can help your average and not hurt you anywhere while playing a weak position. you should be at the top in the hitting categories every week.

Yeah, I dunno why Melky went so late. I drafted Youk to fill in for Headley, and I think there is a decent chance Youk has a nice bounceback year in the event that Headley's injury lingers.

upton cespedes melky and choo were great picks. im shocked seeing how low upton goes in some drafts. your closers are fine for a 12 team league. if boggs, pestano, d. hernandez are available you could pick them up.

Archived