NBC Sports EDGE Forums

4.29.13 - Angels (Hanson) @ A's (Straily) Gamethread

MiggyRunsTings

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And....That is why Straily will never be an Ace. He loves that high FB, apparently it works in AAA.

he missed his spot pretty bad. he obv wasn't intending to put it there.

though i've never seen him pitch in the minors so i don't know. but can't imagine a pitcher who throws 89 loving high fbs lol

I believe its more that he is far beyond most AAA batters mentally, setting up his pitches, sequencing, etc. You can also get away with a little more in the minors, hence a guy like Bauer living up in the zone and having success there and not having any really in MLB. Straily won't throw much harder than 89-91, so he can't make any mistakes or they get crushed. I think the comp of Javier Vazquez past his 30th bday makes the most sense.

Vazquez was a quality start machine, low WHIP, lots of Ks, gave up the long ball, ERA never matched the peripherals.

Comparing Straily to Vazquez isn't exactly an insult.

furthermore, Bauer has pitched all of 21 innings in the majors, saying something like " hence a guy like Bauer living up in the zone and having success there and not having any really in MLB" makes zero sense.

I'm not sure why that confused you. Bauer has had success in the minors, but his MLB starts have been nowhere near his minor league numbers. A lot of that has to do with control, but he likes to live up in the zone and that's just not something you can do in the majors. That's the relevant portion. Straily has been flat out dominant in AAA last year and for his starts this year and has given up just 9 HR's 170 innings there through this season to the beginning of last, and has given up 13 HR's in roughly 50 innings pitched in the majors. He too likes to live up in the zone, which, like Bauer, is a problem making the transition from minors to majors. If I wanted to speculate I would say the difference in HR's right now between the two is Straily lives around the plate more with less velocity than Bauer, and Bauer can't get MLB hitters to chase like minor league batters will. So one gives up a ton of jacks, and one walks everyone. They're both struggling with the same thing.

And the Vazquez comp wasn't an insult, not sure why you took it that way. Sometimes he'll dominate and throw up 12 k's, sometimes he''ll get nickled and dimed to death, and sometimes he'll get blown up. Not an ace, but a good 3-4 guy. And to be clear I'm talking about Vazquez in Ari-CWS, not in Miami where he "somehow" regained his velocity.

it confused me b/c neither Straily or Bauer have even a FRACTION of the innings pitched in the bigs to make ANY conclusions at all. this isn't really debatable.

It is. If they both do something that's pretty irrefutably proven to get poor results, then no matter how much time you have in the majors it's a problem. Similar to having no plate discipline. Unless you have contact skills that can mitigate the issue (sort of like velocity), i dont need any sample size to say it will be a problem. Small sample size is not a blanket statement. Living up in the zone against MLB caliber players will eventually bite you...which I think has been illustrated in this start. Sometimes he looks great and k's people, sometimes because he doesn't have elite velocity he gets cheap hits against him, and sometimes when he misses up, or try's to live up in the zone, he gets hammered. Not sure why this is causing so much consternation.

it confused me b/c neither Straily or Bauer have even a FRACTION of the innings pitched in the bigs to make ANY conclusions at all. this isn't really debatable.

It is. If they both do something that's pretty irrefutably proven to get poor results, then no matter how much time you have in the majors it's a problem. Similar to having no plate discipline. Unless you have contact skills that can mitigate the issue (sort of like velocity), i dont need any sample size to say it will be a problem. Small sample size is not a blanket statement. Living up in the zone against MLB caliber players will eventually bite you...which I think has been illustrated in this start. Sometimes he looks great and k's people, sometimes because he doesn't have elite velocity he gets cheap hits against him, and sometimes when he misses up, or try's to live up in the zone, he gets hammered. Not sure why this is causing so much consternation.

i didn't see him living up in the zone tonight, i saw a couple of mistakes that were up yes. that is what a mistake does, catches too much of the plate. every pitcher has these many times a game. unfortunately he made those mistakes to albert pujols and trumbo; 2 very powerful hitters. to say most of the night he lived up in the zone is just not true.

I can't believe I have a guy striking out twice on a high 87 fastball. I'll eat crow, I thought the A's would smoke Hanson.

He's pitching for his fallen stepbrother so luck is on his side, plus ump giving him lots of calls too.

i didn't see him living up in the zone tonight, i saw a couple of mistakes that were up yes. that is what a mistake does, catches too much of the plate. every pitcher has these many times a game. unfortunately he made those mistakes to albert pujols and trumbo; 2 very powerful hitters. to say most of the night he lived up in the zone is just not true.

It is. "Up in the zone" when you don't have elite velocity is pretty much just the upper half of the zone. If you look at his pitch f/x chart against Houston he threw a ton of pitches in the upper half of the zone, in the strikezone, but because he was pitching against Houston he got away with it. Both the pitch to Pujols and the one to Trumbo were "mistakes", but both were too high to begin with. On the Pujols one he REALLY missed, having it come in and up, but to Trumbo he pretty much hit the height, but it ran in and over the plate instead of outside. Just straight meatballs. Most of his pitches catch too much plate, and that's why he has a lot of hard contact. It's when he misses slightly, or gets up too high when he gives up the moon shots.

Archived