NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jones suspended !!!

Wizard of Boz

Randy Jones was suspended for two games by the NHL.

Jones is being punished for hitting Patrice Bergeron head-first into the boards on Saturday. Bergeron suffered a concussion and broken nose. "While it is my determination that Jones did not intend to injure his opponent, he did deliver a hard check to a player who was in a vulnerable position," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell.Source: TSN.ca

yeah I agree to be honest... 2 games is nothing, its a slap on the wrist. I'm sure hes remorseful, but what he did isn't that much different than what Boulerice did, both caused injuries... Kesler was back the next game I believe, or maybe he sat out a few... Bergeron will be out for a longer time, yet Boulerice got 23 games more than Jones, how's that work??? Bergeron will be out more than 2 games, so shouldn't the suspension be longer than how long Bergeron is gonna be out for?

I mean in minor hockey, kids have those little stop signs on their back, if you see the sign you don't hit... I'm sure Jones knows that. He's not a repeat offender, so I'll give him a break for that, but 2 games, I don't think its just to be honest. Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Too bad, I was a Beregeron fan and this isn't good for hockey in any way shape or form. In defense of Randy Jones, he's not a dirty player...extremely unfortunate incident caused by careless play. I don't believe there was any malicious intent on Jones' part.

the only problem with that is yes its a unfortunate accident, but the Flyer's aren't really paying for it. They lost Jones for 2 games, whoa big deal they recalled someone in the minors and sat Jones in the press box... Bruins lost a star player for 65 or whatever it is. Bergeron has also experienced a ton of pain and suffering, and he can barely even do any simple exercises without feeling ill effects. And to me the punishment didn't fit the crime considering what the Bruins and Bergeron lost.

and I'm sure you'd say the same thing if you lost Richards to a hit like that for a season, and to see the opposing team get a 2 game suspension would be unjust as well.

Too bad, I was a Beregeron fan and this isn't good for hockey in any way shape or form. In defense of Randy Jones, he's not a dirty player...extremely unfortunate incident caused by careless play. I don't believe there was any malicious intent on Jones' part.

didn't he have another brutal hit around the same time Bergie went down?

Archived