NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tyler Glasnow - SP PIT

JohnR

On 7/7/2017 at 10:51 AM, 12to6 said:

So just one start with 0 BB? That's a weird benchmark to have.

In 2016 in the minors, he had exactly 1 game with 0 BBs. In 2015, his best BB/9 year, he had only 5 games with 0 BB. This year, in the majors, he had 2 0 BB games.

That's 8 0 BB starts in the last three years.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:51 AM, osb_tensor said:

what exactly would one start prove? two out of his last three starts in the majors were without walks.. one over four innings and the other five. no walks is nice, but for just one game seems extremely noisy and i doubt much intel could get gleaned from it.

to the original question from @12to6 i think the next step is to consistently see a bb% at 10% or less.. that's an arbitrary number, but i assume the front office has some goal in mind regarding a consistent approach they're wanting to see.

lol, you guys are being far too literal. 

He's getting back to some of his original mechanics from what I've heard. Since he is doing well, but still walking a few a game the logical "next step" is to continue to reduce BB's and for the minors is should be an achievable goal for him to strive for a 0 BB game as "the next step" per 12to6's comment.

I'm basically saying, continue reducing walks.....

As Mr. Rodgers would say, " R-E-L-A-X", lol

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

He's getting back to some of his original mechanics from what I've heard. Since he is doing well, but still walking a few a game the logical "next step" is to continue to reduce BB's and for the minors is should be an achievable goal for him to strive for a 0 BB game as "the next step" per 12to6's comment.

ah yes, i was being literal. i thought you were saying that if he had a single game with 0 walks the FO would say hallelujah he's fixed and ship him back to the show.. lol

2 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I get what you're saying, but my point was that he's never had a consistent stretch or regular stretch or frequent stretch of 0BB games. Ever. I don't know why that would be a benchmark all of a sudden, or a requirement for progress.

I don't think it needs to be a stretch of 0 BB games (although that would obviously be beyond ideal), just proof that he's progressing in the area of command/control and doing so in a relaxed enough environment to continue to build his self confidence so that he can eventually come back to the majors with his disastrous first 16 starts (42 BB's, 14 HR's in 77.2 innings) squarely in the rear view mirror.

Pretty much a guarantee he's in AAA the rest of the season now, or at best a September call up for the bullpen.  Steven Brault deserves a shot much more than Glasnow does if an injury happens in their rotation.

Edited by KilloWertz

9 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

He has been better than Steven Brault, no doubt about it.

I wouldn't go that far.  Glasnow's overall ratios have been better, sure, but Brault still has pretty good numbers and his BB/9 is far lower than Glasnow.

Does Glasnow have the potential to be a very good major league pitcher?  Yes.  Are his control problems over, even in AAA?  No, and that's what matters right now.  If he has more games like yesterday's, then maybe things are finally pointing in the right direction.

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Glasnow's overall ratios have been better, sure, but Brault still has pretty good numbers and his BB/9 is far lower than Glasnow.

Does Glasnow have the potential to be a very good major league pitcher?  Yes.  Are his control problems over, even in AAA?  No, and that's what matters right now.  If he has more games like yesterday's, then maybe things are finally pointing in the right direction.

Brault BB/9: 3.23

Glasnow BB/9: 3.88

That is lower, but not "far lower".

Meanwhile, Glasnow has a better ERA, WHIP, K/9, and K/BB. Glasnow has been better in AAA than Brault. Silly to say he hasn't been.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Glasnow will be just fine.  He's got a ton of potential.  I personally am still not sold on the fact that Lance McCullers will have a better next 3 years than Glasnow.

I said that about Giolito.   Total denial. 

49 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

I know. No one smart enough to register for the forum is dumb enough to write off a pitcher because he hasn't panned out by age 23.

who said i wrote him off?  being a AAAA type pitcher is better than 99% of pitchers in the world.  I'd say even then he's in elite company, statistically. 

He's thrown 77.2 innings in his MLB career. It's wild to label him a bust or close to it at this point. Glasnow's velo has been POPPING since getting sent down. He's working more exclusively from the wind-up, and he's been sitting 97-98 in most starts. The key with him will control. Can't get behind MLB hitters 1-0 and 2-0, no matter how hard you throw. I think once he's back up we'll see an improvement in velo and swing and misses. If his command improves as well, he has plenty of time to still become a very good pitcher. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation