NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Glasnow - SP PIT

What I do know is risk reward wise is so worth it. Almost dumb not to do it. Even if he only throws 1 or 2 innings, at least he's there on the roster seeing big league baseball, talking to big leaguers (who he will play with next year), and getting a feel for how The MLB works.

The Pirates are pretty much out, the back end of their bullpen has been terrible (which was their biggest strength last year, bullpen depth / effectiveness).

Why not take a shot. Pitchers develop so much faster and most of the best pitchers skip AAA and are promoted to the bigs with minimal AA experience. Glasnow's minor league dominance to me suggests he is a special case. Especially with how similar it is to Jose Fernandez's and we all saw how great he translated into the bigs.

No, I'm not saying he's going to be that good but I am saying I don't doubt that he could be an average big league pitcher right now.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, we're now 2 games out of the wild card, and there are only 31 games left. Not enough time, not enough time. You're gonna see some new faces around here, we need to get a look so we can regroup this thing for next year. - Clint Hurdle addressing the Pirates.
Edited by kjtocool

What I do know is risk reward wise is so worth it. Almost dumb not to do it. Even if he only throws 1 or 2 innings, at least he's there on the roster seeing big league baseball, talking to big leaguers (who he will play with next year), and getting a feel for how The MLB works.

The Pirates are pretty much out, the back end of their bullpen has been terrible (which was their biggest strength last year, bullpen depth / effectiveness).

Why not take a shot. Pitchers develop so much faster and most of the best pitchers skip AAA and are promoted to the bigs with minimal AA experience. Glasnow's minor league dominance to me suggests he is a special case. Especially with how similar it is to Jose Fernandez's and we all saw how great he translated into the bigs.

No, I'm not saying he's going to be that good but I am saying I don't doubt that he could be an average big league pitcher right now.

No, there is a ton of risk involved. Pittsburgh is in the playoff race (why you say they're pretty much out is beyond me) and Glasnow has never pitched to a MLB hitter, a AAA hitter, or even a AA hitter. Not one pitch. And since he's never been a reliever, we don't even know if he could get warmed up in time to be of any use out there. Their are way too many bad scenarios to try this out. He needs more time to see how he can adjust to advanced hitters. Sitting the bench with those guys may be a bit useful, but I would highly doubt he would be playing with this guys next year. That isn't how Pittsburgh does things. June of 2016 is my best guess as to when we will see him in the majors, if he keeps progressing. I highly doubt that he could be an average MLB pitcher right now.

All of that said, he's going to the AFL this year, and that should be a great test for him. I can't wait to see how he does there, and it should give us a better idea of just how advanced he really is at this stage

No, there is a ton of risk involved. Pittsburgh is in the playoff race (why you say they're pretty much out is beyond me) and Glasnow has never pitched to a MLB hitter, a AAA hitter, or even a AA hitter. Not one pitch. And since he's never been a reliever, we don't even know if he could get warmed up in time to be of any use out there. Their are way too many bad scenarios to try this out. He needs more time to see how he can adjust to advanced hitters. Sitting the bench with those guys may be a bit useful, but I would highly doubt he would be playing with this guys next year. That isn't how Pittsburgh does things. June of 2016 is my best guess as to when we will see him in the majors, if he keeps progressing. I highly doubt that he could be an average MLB pitcher right now.

All of that said, he's going to the AFL this year, and that should be a great test for him. I can't wait to see how he does there, and it should give us a better idea of just how advanced he really is at this stage

The Pirates aren't out of it. But they aren't exactly controlling their own destiny, either. They are going to give those few innings of relief to inadequate relievers anyway. Why not see if you have a stud in Glasnow, worst case he isn't going to be much worse than their bottom barrel.

Not seeing a AA or AAA hitter is a cause for concern. But with the pure dominance I'd have to figure he is ready, again Jose Fernandez was more than ready after producing extremely similar numbers. Kershaw never saw AAA, Justin Verlander 32.33 AA innings and never saw AAA, Sale 10.33 minor league innings bumped to the pen straight out of college,

Elite players are not cut from the same cloth as your average MLB player. Glasnow I will bet is in the bigs next year. I am extremely certain of that. I honestly think he gets there before September 2015 too. His body of work is that good.

Also switching to an RP is generally a very low risk transition. Many guys have broken into the bigs this way and we are talking about a few innings in Sept (like Cingrani). If the guy is a gamer which I think he is, he will be fine and figure out a way to produce.

Yeah the safe move is to not do it and that's probably what will happen. But when you look at all the other cases that were similar you can't say it's out of the question. His dominance this year has been epic. Sure it's only advanced A ball, but we just saw Jose Fernandez make the jump as well as many other elite pitchers breeze through the minors. If Pittsburg wants to do something in the playoffs if they even make it, they should be looking to take the risk.

The Pirates aren't out of it. But they aren't exactly controlling their own destiny, either. They are going to give those few innings of relief to inadequate relievers anyway. Why not see if you have a stud in Glasnow, worst case he isn't going to be much worse than their bottom barrel.

Not seeing a AA or AAA hitter is a cause for concern. But with the pure dominance I'd have to figure he is ready, again Jose Fernandez was more than ready after producing extremely similar numbers. Kershaw never saw AAA, Justin Verlander 32.33 AA innings and never saw AAA, Sale 10.33 minor league innings bumped to the pen straight out of college,

Elite players are not cut from the same cloth as your average MLB player. Glasnow I will bet is in the bigs next year. I am extremely certain of that. I honestly think he gets there before September 2015 too. His body of work is that good.

Also switching to an RP is generally a very low risk transition. Many guys have broken into the bigs this way and we are talking about a few innings in Sept (like Cingrani). If the guy is a gamer which I think he is, he will be fine and figure out a way to produce.

Yeah the safe move is to not do it and that's probably what will happen. But when you look at all the other cases that were similar you can't say it's out of the question. His dominance this year has been epic. Sure it's only advanced A ball, but we just saw Jose Fernandez make the jump as well as many other elite pitchers breeze through the minors. If Pittsburg wants to do something in the playoffs if they even make it, they should be looking to take the risk.

No, worst case he's much worse than what Pittsburgh otherwise throws out there. He could walk the entire ballpark or give up a homer each pitch. He could be worse than Rick Ankiel in the playoffs during his rookie year, and ruin him too. Again, have you ever watched him throw? He can beat advanced A hitters. They aren't MLBers or close to it.

You continue to throw out the J-Fer comp, but you're cherry picking stats i believe. Maybe just the ERA/k rate? Their are huge differences that send up red flags about Glasnow, even if you look at him through rose colored glasses.

Jose Fernandez 2012 (A and advanced A ball)

14-1 15gs 134ips 89hits 158ks 35walks

Glasnow 2014

12-5 22gs 118.1ips 67hits 148ks 57walks

That walk rate is a huge red flag and why there are many who still are unsure if he can stick in the rotation. Yes his stuff his damn near unhittable, again, for advanced A hitters, but how will AA hitters approach him? If they can lay off the curve, a pitch he tends to bury way out of the zone, forcing him to stay around the plate with the fastball, what makes you think they can't hit it? You don't send a kid like this to the majors right now.

You say you are certain that he's up next year, but you don't say a word to back up your thoughts. You understand that the Pirates are notoriously cautious with pitching prospects correct? If you had any data to back your opinion, again, opinion, you would offer it. You have none. I don't actually disagree that if I ran a team the option would be there, but I don't, and I don't run the Pirates. I'll play devils advocate. He won't be up next year, I'm certain of it. And yes, I can say a promotion is out of the question. He isn't on the 40 man roster, the Pirates don't do things like this, they've been very cautious with him, shall I go on? He'll pitch in the fall, but in Arizona. Not in Pittsburgh, nor in a road game during the playoffs

Any chance for a call up if pirates make a run to the World Series?

No way.

That would be awesome, But I'm not sure if it's entirely out of the question.

Yes, its entirely out of the question. He's still just in A ball and still has some control issues.

Dominating Advanced A ball the way he is, he could already be MLB productive. If his innings are in line and The Pirates need him they could easily roster him for the playoffs, honestly they should roster him regardless of ever pitching him or not.

Yes not likely but extremely ignorant to say impossible.

a guy like this needs to spend more time honing his approach against more advanced hitters

kids in a ball or AA wont be able to hit his raw stuff and he can get away with mistakes

the stuff is all there, it's a matter of developing control/command...and he's not even at "control" yet let alone command

No, worst case he's much worse than what Pittsburgh otherwise throws out there. He could walk the entire ballpark or give up a homer each pitch. He could be worse than Rick Ankiel in the playoffs during his rookie year, and ruin him too. Again, have you ever watched him throw? He can beat advanced A hitters. They aren't MLBers or close to it.

You continue to throw out the J-Fer comp, but you're cherry picking stats i believe. Maybe just the ERA/k rate? Their are huge differences that send up red flags about Glasnow, even if you look at him through rose colored glasses.

Jose Fernandez 2012 (A and advanced A ball)

14-1 15gs 134ips 89hits 158ks 35walks

Glasnow 2014

12-5 22gs 118.1ips 67hits 148ks 57walks

That walk rate is a huge red flag and why there are many who still are unsure if he can stick in the rotation. Yes his stuff his damn near unhittable, again, for advanced A hitters, but how will AA hitters approach him? If they can lay off the curve, a pitch he tends to bury way out of the zone, forcing him to stay around the plate with the fastball, what makes you think they can't hit it? You don't send a kid like this to the majors right now.

You say you are certain that he's up next year, but you don't say a word to back up your thoughts. You understand that the Pirates are notoriously cautious with pitching prospects correct? If you had any data to back your opinion, again, opinion, you would offer it. You have none. I don't actually disagree that if I ran a team the option would be there, but I don't, and I don't run the Pirates. I'll play devils advocate. He won't be up next year, I'm certain of it. And yes, I can say a promotion is out of the question. He isn't on the 40 man roster, the Pirates don't do things like this, they've been very cautious with him, shall I go on? He'll pitch in the fall, but in Arizona. Not in Pittsburgh, nor in a road game during the playoffs

fantastic posting. people take not. this is an individual who has done their homework and can articulate that knowledge well

he does like to bury that curve for sure. his strike throwing ability needs to go up to advance (like you said, especially in a pirate org notorious for service time/letting their top prospects spend time at each level)

• 2 weeks later...

How many innings do you think he gets in the AFL? I can't imagine too many.

Outside of an injury I am damn positive he will make it to the majors. This kind of dominance is rare.

Still think he's on his way for a cup of coffee? lol

Outside of an injury I am damn positive he will make it to the majors. This kind of dominance is rare.

It is the safe move. But he is MLB ready right now and The Pirates need some type of boost if they are going to make the playoffs let alone do anything there.

It is the safe move. But he is MLB ready right now and The Pirates need some type of boost if they are going to make the playoffs let alone do anything there.

Again, no, he isn't MLB ready in any way whatsoever. I've asked before, and I will again, have you ever seen him pitch before? He hasn't faced an AA hitter, or AAA hitter, and you continually say without a doubt that he's ready for prime time. Are you just looking at his stats to state your opinion? He needs to learn better control and face tougher competition before we know what he really is. I'm one of his biggest fans but he needs work before he's even in the conversation for the majors. And id be willing to bet that he won't see the bigs until at least 2016

If he pulls his head out of the sand, you can find quotes from Glasnow himself saying he often can't throw his change up or curve for strikes, and has to overpower with his fastball. He may get crushed in AA if that doesn't change, let alone the majors.

Good news, he's a fricking prospect! His development is normal, and if he keeps development going, he has SP1 upside, but he isn't anywhere near the majors and anyone saying otherwise has no idea what they're saying.

If he pulls his head out of the sand, you can find quotes from Glasnow himself saying he often can't throw his change up or curve for strikes, and has to overpower with his fastball. He may get crushed in AA if that doesn't change, let alone the majors.

Good news, he's a fricking prospect! His development is normal, and if he keeps development going, he has SP1 upside, but he isn't anywhere near the majors and anyone saying otherwise has no idea what they're saying.

You are so naive. Don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about, cause I have been spot on with a vast majority of my predictions despite them extremely bold and not being a mainstream idea at the time.

So just keep it on topic.

Yes I've seen tape on Glasnow, yes I am comparing his stats to others. Yes I am saying something bold. But believe me on this, I am generally right on with prospects. Don't believe me actually just wait to see that I am right.

There won't be a better pitcher in The AFL. Yet there will be plenty of guys who pitched against and succeeded against higher competition. Talent is talent. It doesn't matter what level you've pitched against if you have the talent. Just compare Glasnow to other elite pitchers who were top prospects.

Chris Sale, Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander, and Jose Fernandez (who's career numbers look eerily similar up to this point). All these guys had minimal minor league innings and were MLB ready at a young age despite how little minor league experience they got.

AA is no longer the "breaking point" for prospects. Advanced A is really the big step now a days. AA still is a nice jump but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who dominated Adavanced A then struggled in AA so hard that they fizzled out.

Plenty of time top pitching prospects skip AA or have minimal innings in AA. So no AA isn't the measuring stick if someone is ready for the majors.

Outside of an injury Glasnow is up next year no doubt. Which is what I mean to put in the original quote. As it was already mentioned that he was going to The AFL. Now what I see and the way I would go about things, are obviously different than The Pirates. That doesn't make me wrong and that doesn't make The Pirates right. There are multiple ways to build an organization.

You could put the bottom 50% of starters in The MLB (fantasy ranking) and they wouldn't put up as good of numbers in Advanced A ball as Glasnow. The thing I know for sure is Glasnow will sit down any minor league lineup with ease. The best thing Glasnow has going for him is, the biggest area he needs to improve on is his walk rate. Which is a lot easier to fix than if you.

Again, talent is talent.

• 3 months later...

Any news on Glasnow? Any chance he's Super2 guy? Or am I wrong to hope for any more then a September call-up or a super2 guy in 2016? Think I'm a little lost on his time table.

Edited by avswsop91

Any news on Glasnow? Any chance he's Super2 guy? Or am I wrong to hope for any more then a September call-up or a super2 guy in 2016? Think I'm a little lost on his time table.

Yes, you're probably wrong to think anything before 2016.

• 2 months later...

If you listen to Foul line, he was certain to get a cup of coffee last year, and is a mortal lock to be up this year!

If however, you live in the real world and pay any attention to the pirates ... Glasnow just got sent from camp to AA Altoona. Expectations are he spends 90 to 100% of the year there, best case he dominates and jumps to AAA late in the year. Potential Super Two in 2016. Don't be surprised if Glasnow struggles in AA, he has to learn to pitch, not just overpower.

• 4 weeks later...

Cory Giger @CoryGiger · 3h 3 hours ago

Opposing hitters have batted only .160 off Glasnow in 2 1/2 pro seasons. That's just insane.

Cory Giger @CoryGiger · 2h 2 hours ago

Tyler Glasnow has some filthy stuff. Mixing 96 mph with high 70s offspeed and getting a bunch of swings and misses. 3 K thru 2 IP.

Cory Giger @CoryGiger · 2h 2 hours ago

Tyler Glasnow likely done in AA debut: 5 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 6 K. 74 pitches. But walked 4. That will be something to watch. Avg 4/9 IP in career.

Such a stud, keep it up kid. Hope to see him in AAA this year.

Side note: This owner in my league keeps asking my why the heck I am wasting a roster spot on this guy when I should be trying to win now (16 team keeper, we keep 10). I don't know maybe because he is going to be a stud...

Edited by Steelers0087
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great!!!!! Imo number 1 SP right now in the minors. Urias is close 2nd... This guy is a freak!

I wouldn't say that. I'd take Giolito over both. He has the highest overall upside in the minors IMO. I'd probably go:

1. Giolito

2. Urias

3. Syndergaard (Great combination of proximity and talent. I know some who have him over Urias)

4. Glasnow

5. Bundy (Could vault up this list if he proves he's close to pre-surgery self and the velocity and overall stuff returns)

6. Matz

7. E. Rodriguez

Excluding guys like Rodon, Bradley, and Norris of course. Just sort of a rough list as of right now. But I wouldn't take Glasnow over Giolito or Urias. Past that, there's an argument to be made, but Syndergaard's close ETA to the majors plus overall talent puts him over Glasnow IMO.