NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tyler Glasnow - SP PIT

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You heard it here first...

He will be better than Gerrit Cole.

And if I'm wrong so be it... but that's just how much I believe in his abilities.

Bold statement I like it. How close is he to major league ready? I don't mean when is he up I mean how far away is he from reaching his potential/contributing meaningfully in the majors?

Liriano was favoring his pectoral area in his start over the weekend, both on the mound & while batting....something to note perhaps, especially if it gets aggravated and they have to skip a start to rest it for the real stretch run.

They're going to need something more than JA Happ(less) to keep up with STL.

And if I'm wrong so be it... but that's just how much I believe in his abilities.

Bold statement I like it. How close is he to major league ready? I don't mean when is he up I mean how far away is he from reaching his potential/contributing meaningfully in the majors?

If he pitches well, I'd put him in the bullpen come September.

Multiple scouts/sources have already predicted that he'll be better than Cole.

Edited by young dude

Cole was a lot more polished of a pitcher than Glasnow when he was in the minors but I'd say Glasnow has more raw talent and has the higher upside.

This is true. Cole has considerably better command, but he's also older. If Glasgow can develop better control of the zone and limit walks, he may end up better

In no way does Glasnow have a higher upside IMO. He has a chance to be special, and he could end up better just as anyone can, but the betting man would take Cole.

Scouts were throwing 70's all over various pitches and future command for Cole. Some even said the second he got drafted he would be the best pitching prospect in the minors. He was a no brainier no1 overall.

Glasnow is a very good prospect but not on Cole's level as a complete package.

In no way does Glasnow have a higher upside IMO. He has a chance to be special, and he could end up better just as anyone can, but the betting man would take Cole.

Scouts were throwing 70's all over various pitches and future command for Cole. Some even said the second he got drafted he would be the best pitching prospect in the minors. He was a no brainier no1 overall.

I'm not so sure...during UCLA's run in the 2010 College World Series, the coverage on the Bruins staff was all about Trevor Bauer. The coverage throughout that CWS advertised Bauer as the more dynamic of the two, the one with the better stuff, higher ceiling and the 'can't miss prospect' was Trevor Bauer while Cole got the, "he's also very good in his own right, but he's no Trevor Bauer" treatment by the 'experts' covering the CWS.

I personally think many have the physical ability and 'stuff' to compete & that the difference is mental at the major league level so it's anyone's guess how Glasnow will make that adjustment. I'm personally hopeful he's more Cole than Bauer in the mental aspect of transitioning into a MLB pitcher. The stuff is obviously there already...just a matter of whether the MLB level overwhelms him initially or not when he does get the call.

I'm not so sure...during UCLA's run in the 2010 College World Series, the coverage on the Bruins staff was all about Trevor Bauer. The coverage throughout that CWS advertised Bauer as the more dynamic of the two, the one with the better stuff, higher ceiling and the 'can't miss prospect' was Trevor Bauer while Cole got the, "he's also very good in his own right, but he's no Trevor Bauer" treatment by the 'experts' covering the CWS.

I personally think many have the physical ability and 'stuff' to compete & that the difference is mental at the major league level so it's anyone's guess how Glasnow will make that adjustment. I'm personally hopeful he's more Cole than Bauer in the mental aspect of transitioning into a MLB pitcher. The stuff is obviously there already...just a matter of whether the MLB level overwhelms him initially or not when he does get the call.

The media coverage was like that because a) Bauer is eclectic and B) because he had the better college numbers

Every scout saw what they saw in Cole....it's why he went 1 and Bauer went third. Both were very good prospects but Cole was a can't miss 1 in the vein of Stras/Harper (albeit with less media hype)

Read an article about how the farm director and Serage don't think he's quite ready yet. That could be a control issue thing, it could be a service day thing, or it could be a smoke screen, but there is at least some discussion about it.

His start tomorrow could really help his cause but PIT just keeps winning regardless who they throw out there & they're 4 games up on CHC for the wildcard and like 8 games up on the 2nd wild card so they're probably not feeling a whole lot of pressure.

JA Happ actually had a decent outing last night so that didn't help either.

If they can close the gap on STL over the next couple weeks and get themselves thinking they can get a home playoff series, that could really change things in a hurry.

It'll be interesting to see which direction they go when rosters expand.....it would be sweet for dynasty owners if he were called up to be bullpen arm (a la Michael Wacha a couple-three years ago) and got RP eligibility for 2016.

9 strikeouts, 6-1/3 scoreless innings.

I have him in my NA slot on the roster now ... I think he's just ahead of Blake Snell as a possible September contributor.

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/144710482

Edited by BBWeekly

Everyone needs to calm down. Tyler works entirely off his fastball, its a nasty, dominant pitch. Unfortunately, his secondary stuff needs work. I wouldn't even call his change average yet. He would get eaten alive in a jump to the bigs.

Tyler will open in AA, he'll continue to work on his control, and will start working on his secondary offerings. This has been a terrific season for him, but he won't be up next year, you'll see him in 2016.

Nothing's really changed with the prognosis, Glasnow was always going to be a 2016 mid-season call up, that remains true today. That said, Glasnow has moved himself into an emergency call-up if the injury bug gets ugly. I think with Happ / Blanton / Worley / Locke, the chances are slim to none, but if Liriano or Cole go down all bets are off.