NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tyler Glasnow - SP PIT

JohnR

(1 hr ago) Glasnow has allowed only two runs in his first two Triple-A starts (10 innings), striking out 15 batters while giving up three walks, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Pirates GM Neal Huntington wasn't pleased with Glasnow's pitch efficiency -- he needed 83 pitches in five innings -- and also wants the prospect to work on a third-pitch changeup. "Explosive fastball at times, inconsistent at others," the general manager said. "Explosive breaking ball at times, inconsistent at others. Nearly a complete lack of use of the changeup." Huntington went on to add that the organization may mandate a certain number of changeups to be thrown in each outing. "I don't want to say force just yet, but in a few more starts, it might be mandated, absolutely," he said.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Glasnow kick Neal Huntington's dog? good grief

a third pitch is a necessity if you want to get through a quality MLB lineup 3 times

Not disagreeing with that. You would think from Huntington's analysis that this kid was getting lit up in every start. He's dominating. Ok he wants him to work on his changeup....fine. Don't have to be an a** about it.

Did Glasnow kick Neal Huntington's dog? good grief

a third pitch is a necessity if you want to get through a quality MLB lineup 3 times

Not disagreeing with that. You would think from Huntington's analysis that this kid was getting lit up in every start. He's dominating. Ok he wants him to work on his changeup....fine. Don't have to be an a** about it.

well if that is what it takes for him to start throwing it then big deal... he can dominate AAA with 2 pitches thats not the point

Some info on his changeup:

Perhaps the pitch most responsible for the 11 K's was Glasnow's changeup, an offering that's consistently rated below his mid-to-high-90's fastball and his plus curveball. The 22-year-old right-hander felt the pitch was the most consistent it's been through the first month of the season, and he could see the results early Tuesday.

"I think it's just repetition," he said of the work that goes into improving the changeup. "It's something I throw 89-90-91, and with a fastball around 93-97 like it was today, that can play. The biggest thing about the changeup is I worry about its velocity. But every time I threw it today, I felt like I got some really good changeup reactions, and that helps my confidence with it."

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160426&content_id=174666044&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Edited by rdf8585

Man its going to be a nip and tuck battle to get the first SP callup between him and Taillon. Just as Taillon puts himself on the map looks to have leapfrogged Glasnow he comes back with an outing like this. Pirates best days may still be ahead of them. Lots controllable talent on that team, only thing standing in their way is the owner's greed.