NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Zombies

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what the Cubs do with Bryant if he is promoted to AAA. Christian Villanueva is manning third there, and while he is not an elite prospect, he is a pretty decent prospect who was a former top 100 prospect with a plus glove at that position.

If we could get an injury to Mike Olt, I Think there is a decent chance they would give Bryant a shot at the majors with the way he is dominating AA. Need a pulled hammie or something that would give the Cubs some security knowing they could send him back down in a few weeks if necessary (and it wouldn't be a true demotion...just an injury sub). That way if he produced he could stick around, and if he didn't he could get sent back down no harm no foul with some new things to work on.

Once we are past the first week of June, we need an injury to Olt (just a minor one :) ).

Cubs dont' seem like ones to rush prospects, though I think he should move on to AAA very soon. His slash line right now is .339/.433/.638, his OPS is over 1.000, he has 13 Homers and 6 SB with 0 CS. He's a man amongst boys.

He is obliterating AA pitching.

It is not out of the question he is called up in June.

I think it's out of the question. They aren't just gonna let him bypass AAA to bring him up to a team that isn't contending. He'll spend basically the rest of the year at AAA, and maybe they give him a cup of coffee in September. Personally, I don't think he'll be up this year at all.

He is obliterating AA pitching.

It is not out of the question he is called up in June.

I think it's out of the question. They aren't just gonna let him bypass AAA to bring him up to a team that isn't contending. He'll spend basically the rest of the year at AAA, and maybe they give him a cup of coffee in September. Personally, I don't think he'll be up this year at all.

Absolutely right. They didn't do it with Baez either last year. If they are contending for a title and suffer massive injuries, then maybe he gets called up September or sooner.

Has a chance of starting out of the gate in 2015 though.

The Cubs are terrible and will be for the rest of this year. They have no good reason to start his Arb or FA clock earlier than they have to. June 2015 is reasonable, although he could force their hand and make it April 2015. Until that time, the team has every reason to keep running with Olt and hope he turns things around.

Hey another HR in his 1st AB today.

yea but he was caught stealing twice later on. Good reason to keep him in AA a while longer lol

What the hell is he doing running twice in a game? Damn guy runs more than Mike Trout. Lol.

Hey another HR in his 1st AB today.

yea but he was caught stealing twice later on. Good reason to keep him in AA a while longer lol

What the hell is he doing running twice in a game? Damn guy runs more than Mike Trout. Lol.

3rd base coach probably gave him the steal sign twice

Well before the season he was #12 according to the list that averages all the major rankings list. At this point I'd say he's safely in the top 10, probably in the 6-8 area. With his K issues and him not playing a premium position, he likely wont move any higher. The top spots are almost always premium position guys(SS,CF) or pitchers. It's the same reason you almost never see a 1B prospect ranked super high.

Where does he currently rank among the other top prospects? Is he in the top 3 at least?

From ESPN, for this season, not overall. And I'm assuming promotion means to AAA and not the MLB. Wouldn't make much sense to throw him from AA to the MLB although Stanton and Fernandez got similar treatment where they got promoted from A and AA to the MLB on a team that wasn't in serious contention.

7. Kris Bryant, 3B, Chicago Cubs (Last week: 6)

2014 stats: .339/.433/.638, 11 HR, 34 RBIs, 5 SB at Double-A Tennessee

Progress report: In the month of May, Bryant has hit .400/.463/.741 with five doubles, eight homers and 30 RBI. In that same time frame, the Cubs' third basemen have a combined on-base percentage below Bryant's slugging percentage. He's not going to be in Chicago anytime soon -- and the strikeouts are still piling up -- but there's simply no denying that Bryant is the best offensive prospect in the Chicago system right now, and if he keeps up a semblance of these numbers he should be promoted before the trade deadline.

Where does he currently rank among the other top prospects? Is he in the top 3 at least?

Top 10 for sure in every list with some putting him top 5. The highest I have seen is 3 but that is a ballzy statement.

He is the number 1 prospect. nobody is really on his tier either.

Archived