NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Zombies

Where does he currently rank among the other top prospects? Is he in the top 3 at least?

He is the number 1 prospect. nobody is really on his tier either.

Says the man with Carlos Zambrano as his avatar.

I kid, I kid, friend.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where does he currently rank among the other top prospects? Is he in the top 3 at least?

Top 10 for sure in every list with some putting him top 5. The highest I have seen is 3 but that is a ballzy statement.

Why is that outrageous?

Top 10 for sure in every list with some putting him top 5. The highest I have seen is 3 but that is a ballzy statement.

Why is that outrageous?

Rankings that high are usually given to people who play premium positions or are 5 tool talents. Bryant is neither of those. His value will come almost entirely from his bat

Why is that outrageous?

Yeah I have no idea why he made that statement. I've got him as the 2nd best fantasy prospect behind Byron Buxton.

Why is that outrageous?

Rankings that high are usually given to people who play premium positions or are 5 tool talents. Bryant is neither of those. His value will come almost entirely from his bat

3B isn't a premium position?

Why is that outrageous?

Could he physically play 3B? Yes. Will he? Probably not. With the emergence of Valbuena, the chances of Bryant playing 3B are significantly lower then they already were. The Cubs seem set on Javy being at 2B in the future,especially with the news that Alcantara was going to play CF tonight but the game got rained out. That means that Valbuena and his .389OBP goes to 3B where he is an above average to plus defender.

Why is that outrageous?

Could he physically play 3B? Yes. Will he? Probably not. With the emergence of Valbuena, the chances of Bryant playing 3B are significantly lower then they already were. The Cubs seem set on Javy being at 2B in the future,especially with the news that Alcantara was going to play CF tonight but the game got rained out. That means that Valbuena and his .389OBP goes to 3B where he is an above average to plus defender.

Not being a bag here....

But.. you're highly delusional if you think Luis Valbuena is going to impede Kris Bryant playing third base if the Cubs FO thought that was Bryant's best position to play. Note: I'm not convinced that is the case.

Valbuena is a fill in - and nothing more - till some of these youngsters start coming up. He's a journeyman/AAAA player, at best.

I THINK you will eventually see Alcantara at second, Baez at third, and Bryant playing a corner outfield position.

Why is that outrageous?

Yeah I have no idea why he made that statement. I've got him as the 2nd best fantasy prospect behind Byron Buxton.

Throw Buxton, Baez, Bryant, Polanco, Tavarez all in a hat and you might come out with different 1-5's every time.

Posted · Hidden by Patrick Bateman, May 29, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Patrick Bateman, May 29, 2014 - No reason given

The emergence of valbuena?

What?

Do you even baseball?

What?

Do you even baseball?

Perhaps he meant Christian Villanueva? And... even with that.. I'm not sure with the year Villanueva is having at AAA you'd say he is "emerging".

Why is that outrageous?

Also - Alcantara playing the OF in one minor league game doesn't remotely mean the Cubs are set on Baez playing second. It simply means that the Cubs are seeing if Alcantara has positional flexibility should they wish to bring him up and play him.

It might mean, simply, they want to start him in the OF (because... frankly... the Cubs outfield is atrocious), give Barney playing time to showcase him for an impending trade and eventually move Alcantara back to his natural second base position.

Villanueva is good player but my understanding is that he's an average bat and a + glove, like a Machado lite. Hes isn't the special and this cubs team is trying to breed special from what I've seen.

And he meant valbuena he mentioned his obp

Yeah Luis Valbuena, you know the guy with the .379 OBP and and .809OPS going into today. The guy who put up 2.0fWAR in only 108 games last year. The Valbuena who is on pace to put up a 3.24fWAR this season in 145 games. Pay a bit more attention to your own team.

Why is that outrageous?

Also - Alcantara playing the OF in one minor league game doesn't remotely mean the Cubs are set on Baez playing second. It simply means that the Cubs are seeing if Alcantara has positional flexibility should they wish to bring him up and play him.

It might mean, simply, they want to start him in the OF (because... frankly... the Cubs outfield is atrocious), give Barney playing time to showcase him for an impending trade and eventually move Alcantara back to his natural second base position.

Except that Hoyer has already said it. Read back in the Baez thread as I have a direct quote from him.

What?

Do you even baseball?

Yeah Luis Valbuena, you know the guy with the .379 OBP and and .809OPS going into today. The guy who put up 2.0fWAR in only 108 games last year. The Valbuena who is on pace to put up a 3.24fWAR this season in 145 games. Pay a bit more attention to your own team.

LOL the emergence of Luis Valbuena. Like I said, you're a homer.

Valbuena is horrible and his numbers at the end of the year will reflect that. Despite your attempted spin job, no, he was not very good last season.

What?

Do you even baseball?

LOL the emergence of Luis Valbuena. Like I said, homer.

Yeah he sucks, it's so easy to find guys who can put up 3fwar seasons for 1.7M dollars. Good lord man.

What?

Do you even baseball?

LOL the emergence of Luis Valbuena. Like I said, homer.

Yeah he sucks

Finally, you're making sense.

Let's see, he's on pace for 3.23fWAR this year. Last year amongst all qualified position players that would have ranked him roughly 57th with guys like Alex Rios,Desmond Jennings, Brett Gardner, Austin Jackson etc. Just terrible.

edit: sorry about the thread hijack. Done after this comment.

He has a good bb% yes, which helps numbers where bb are a big part of the statistic. He hit under .220 last year with under 20 hr. Whatever advanced stats you want to pull are fine but look at his real value or watch him actually hit and you'll see you're very wrong.

Make that 4-4 with another single. Taking a line from a poster over on NSBB

After that single, Bryant's OPS is presently 1.117 (220 PA). Since 2000, only Giancarlo Stanton has posted a higher OPS in the Southern League (1.171, 240 PA, age 20, 2010). He just eclipsed Adam Dunn's 2001 (1.113, 168 PA, age 21).

He has a good bb% yes, which helps numbers where bb are a big part of the statistic. He hit under .220 last year with under 20 hr. Whatever advanced stats you want to pull are fine but look at his real value or watch him actually hit and you'll see you're very wrong.

A.)In general. He does not suck(anymore at least after 6 years of pure suck). He has become a quality player of sorts. IMO. Yes, I've watched him play. I know how much he sucked over the years. Don't see it that way recently..

OBP is not some fancy metric. Its a fairly standard, widely accepted measurement of offensive production. He's not a punch judy no power hitter either.

B.) He is not holding someone like Bryant back. His OBP Skills and plus defense make a ton more sense as a 2B. Bryant who can also draw walks and hit for a TON more power.

Since Baez is probably got 2B. Either the Cubs trade him to a team that really needs an IF or he moves into a super utility role... He still is a stop gap player.

A.)In general. He does not suck(anymore at least after 6 years of pure suck). He has become a quality player of sorts. IMO. Yes, I've watched him play. I know how much he sucked over the years. Don't see it that way recently..

OBP is not some fancy metric. Its a fairly standard, widely accepted measurement of offensive production. He's not a punch judy no power hitter either.

B.) He is not holding someone like Bryant back. His OBP Skills and plus defense make a ton more sense as a 2B. Bryant who can also draw walks and hit for a TON more power.

Since Baez is probably got 2B. Either the Cubs trade him to a team that really needs an IF or he moves into a super utility role... He still is a stop gap player.

This is relevant to Kris Bryant because it's relevant to the Cubs future**

I'm not saying that he doesn't provide quality, I"m saying that he's not someone that's "emerging" or being factored into future decisions.

Valbuena's 2012 Slash line was: .218/.331/.378. An OBP of .331 is no where near impressive. Per fangraphs, average is about .320, so it is above average but no where close to compensating for his putrid BA or SLG. As a walker, there would at least be considerable value if he had wheels of any kind, but he doesn't: 1/5 in SB attempts last year. His career HR/FB ratio of about 7.1% jumped from its below average marks to above the MLB average last year, 9.9%, but so far last year we've seen exactly what a statistician would expect: a regression to the mean of 7.0% thus far this year. Valbuena is also striking out more, increasing his K% so far this year from 16% to 20%. His average has increased this year, accompanying a BABIP increase of 80 points, 50 over his career average. He's due for BA regression, and will no doubt finish the season with a BA of near .230 and SLG under .400. That's not an impressive player

So the profile of Luis Valbuena reads:

• High BB%
  • Good Defense
  • Utility Capabilities
  • Below Average Power
  • No Speed
  • Low Average
  • High K%

you pull a player card with those traits and you are looking to replace it.

Why is that outrageous?

Except that Hoyer has already said it. Read back in the Baez thread as I have a direct quote from him.

1) I live in Chicago. I know exactly what Hoyer said. He said they wanted to move Baez around and play him at other infield spots, including second base. Hoyer, not once, has ever said.. Baez is going to play second in the majors with Alcantara playing OF.

2) Spew all the advanced metrics you wish on Valbuena. The guy is a career .235 hitter, .667 OPS. Guess what? He doesn't remotely play into the Cubs future.. at all.

Archived