NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Zombies

By the time September roll around he could have 50 homers in the minors. That is about what he is in pace for. I think we definitely see him in September this year. I doubt we see him before then but eventually the cubs are simply going to be forced to call him up out if public embarrassment. When a player is doing what bryant is doing there is only so long the cub fans are going to wait. Can't continue to claim bryant needs to develop when he is leading an entire league in 10 offensive categories (or however many is leading the southern league in).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if he keeps this pace and they refuse to bring him up it will remind me of Wil Myers circa 2012 in the Royals minor lg system.

Well, Myers didn't come up that year, so that's not a good precedent for what I want. Look, if they don't bring him to the big show, fine. But AA at this point is absurd. I know that the Cubs are "rebuilding" but this isn't a small market team. Why are they holding him down?

if he keeps this pace and they refuse to bring him up it will remind me of Wil Myers circa 2012 in the Royals minor lg system.

Well, Myers didn't come up that year, so that's not a good precedent for what I want. Look, if they don't bring him to the big show, fine. But AA at this point is absurd. I know that the Cubs are "rebuilding" but this isn't a small market team. Why are they holding him down?

agreed... I am hoping the Cubs handle it in a better way and bring him up. there is absolutely no reason the royals shouldn't have brought myers up that particular season. although it kept his value higher than if he had come up and struggled, like these Cubs they were not in the playoff picture and it took them forever just to get Myers to AA, that is why I called upon that as an example.

I'd be floored if he's not brought up to AAA in the next 2-3 weeks. From there, they want him to have sustained success at that level before making the big league club.

I think the plan is probably:

AAA very soon

Cup of Coffee in September

Wait until Super 2 status in 2015.

Best case scenario is that he gets a chance to start 2015 with the big league club if he proves himself.

As I own the #1 waiver in my keeper league, I am just praying that they call him up at some point this year.

He's not going to see a cup of coffee in the bigs in September. That would start his service clock without any reason to do so. I would think he's in AAA on the 20th or 23rd of this month, and if everything goes correctly he could be a Springer type call-up very early next year. Very slim chance he can break camp with the club.

I will say that I wouldn't be absolutely stunned to see him go from AA to Wrigley, bypassing Iowa altogether, but the chances of that happen are about 1%. Epstein and Hoyer want to see guys dominate every level and fix or at least improve on their weaknesses. Plus the whole 500 abs thing that's been discussed as well at the AAA level.

If he hits 50 home runs they are going to be forced to give the fans something.

No, they won't. Baez hit, what, 37 last year and crushed it in the spring, and he's still in AAA, and proving them right for keeping him there. Fan sentiment will not change their time table. That isn't the way this front office works

There is a big difference in 37 and 50.

Perhaps, but not enough to make the front office change their mind. Bryant won't make that team a contender right now, so there is simply no way that they will deviate from their plan for him. His K rate is still high, he has not looked god at 3rd. Simply put, he has things to work on and they want him to do so before they start his arby clock.

I think Bryant is moved up to AAA by the end of June, and if he continues to tear the cover off the ball in AAA that they will bring him up in September. Obviously if he pulls a Baez then he will not be up at all this year. It all depends on his performance. The Cubs cannot continue to keep him in AA with the way he is hitting. So when he is called up to AAA he will have to prove himself again.

Bryant is hitting better than Baez did last year. It isn't just the power, it is the plate discipline that is the major difference.

This is a business first people remember. If the Cubs are going to squeeze every cheap dollar out of him, they will make him wait. Houston had to do Springer in part because their potential revenue was taking a hit (merchandise, TV deals...ect.)

Another factor I think could come into play is Mike Olt. He is struggling MIGHTILY. Valbuena hasn't been a picture of health either. If Mike Olt continues to hit .150 and strikeout 2-3 times a night (which is about what he is doing) and Valbuena has any more nagging injuries (or goes back to the .220 lifetime hitter that he is. Then I think it is possible Bryant jumps to the bigs. Who are they going to promote? Villanueva? That guy is hitting .220 as well.

Think about it this way. The three guys in front Bryant have the following COMBINED stats:

Hits: 108

Home Runs: 18

Runs: 58

RBI: 63

Kris Bryant for the year:

Hits: 82

Home Runs: 22

Runs:57

RBI: 55

If Olt continues to whiff at a historic rate it is going to push the Cubs to move Bryant up. Valbuena is a utility player that is a .220 career hitter. Villanueva is a decent prospect, but he is obviously struggling at AAA right now and needs more time. Makes sense to move the one guy who is dominating up to the bigs.

[much wishful thinking in this above post]

Another factor I think could come into play is Mike Olt. He is struggling MIGHTILY. Valbuena hasn't been a picture of health either. If Mike Olt continues to hit .150 and strikeout 2-3 times a night (which is about what he is doing) and Valbuena has any more nagging injuries (or goes back to the .220 lifetime hitter that he is. Then I think it is possible Bryant jumps to the bigs. Who are they going to promote? Villanueva? That guy is hitting .220 as well.

Think about it this way. The three guys in front Bryant have the following COMBINED stats:

Hits: 108

Home Runs: 18

Runs: 58

RBI: 63

Kris Bryant for the year:

Hits: 82

Home Runs: 22

Runs:57

RBI: 55

If Olt continues to whiff at a historic rate it is going to push the Cubs to move Bryant up. Valbuena is a utility player that is a .220 career hitter. Villanueva is a decent prospect, but he is obviously struggling at AAA right now and needs more time. Makes sense to move the one guy who is dominating up to the bigs.

[much wishful thinking in this above post]

Again... The Cubs FO (Epstein and Hoyer) have had a FO philosophy with the Red Sox and Padres for YEARS that they want to have sustained success for their prospects in AAA. Bryant is going to see time in AAA regardless of all the wishful thinking of the masses on this thread.

One of the few lucky breaks the Cubs have had in the last 100 years or so was the Astros' head scratching Appel pick ahead of Bryant.

I know it's still early in the game and may be a bit presumptuous, but it's starting to look like an historically bad pick under the circumstances.

One of the few lucky breaks the Cubs have had in the last 100 years or so was the Astros' head scratching Appel pick ahead of Bryant.

I know it's still early in the game and may be a bit presumptuous, but it's starting to look like an historically bad pick under the circumstances.

An even bigger head-scratcher was picking high school catcher Joe Mauer #1 ahead of Mark Prior #2. Oh wait, that turned out OK for the Twins.

Way to early to be making statements like the above. You have to give a prospect like Appel 4-5 years minimum before you can call him a true bust.

Um, apples and oranges. Bryant and Appel were both college products. And in your example the everyday player turned out to be much better than the pitcher, which is how it's shaping up here as well, so yeah...

I never said Appel was a bust, but c'mon man he's not in Bryant's league. I don't have to wait 4-5 years to make that statement because it's pretty much self-evident.

Um, apples and oranges. Bryant and Appel were both college products. And in your example the everyday player turned out to be much better than the pitcher, which is how it's shaping up here as well, so yeah...

I never said Appel was a bust, but c'mon man he's not in Bryant's league. I don't have to wait 4-5 years to make that statement because it's pretty much self-evident.

Hindsight is fun.

Maybe we should nickname him Captain Hindsight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXJN_OTkmU

hindsight2.jpg

Posted · Hidden by dzemens, June 13, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by dzemens, June 13, 2014 - No reason given

My stance has always been take the bat over the pitcher when in doubt. I would have drafted Bryant ahead of Appel. That's not hindsight.

Cool, let's see you saying the same at/soon after the draft. Otherwise you're just being a whiny jew.

My stance has always been take the bat over the pitcher when in doubt. I would have drafted Bryant ahead of Appel. That's not hindsight.

Yup. That's the Cubs FO opinion as well. I believe Theo has never taken a pitcher in the first round? I could be wrong on that....

Power bats are very rare these days - if you have a plethora of them in your system, they can be traded for impact pitchers who have already gotten past the questions of if they would produce when they were drafted.

Archived