NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Zombies

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an owner of KB, I am trying to envision a scenario where the Cubs would promote him to the Major Leagues at the beginning of July.

Would the Cubs allow him to learn the outfield at the Major League level?

As an owner of KB, I am trying to envision a scenario where the Cubs would promote him to the Major Leagues at the beginning of July.

Would the Cubs allow him to learn the outfield at the Major League level?

No. Moving Bryant to the outfield would be an excellent (read: asinine) rationale for keeping Bryant in the minors to save cash.

I fully expect the Cubs to let Bryant languish in the minors for as long as possible. They really should just get him signed now and avoid the whole arbitration garbage. Delaying the teams competitveness isn't going to serve any purpose in the long run.

Honestly, I am starting to think Bryant skips AAA. If this wasnt the case he would have already been there by now. He has absolutely destroyed AA pitching obviously and the pressure of the media in Chicago may be too much to bring him up sooner than later. If he is not brought to AAA in the next week or so I expect to see Bryant up in the big leagues by August. Just pure speculation on my part however, so can absolutely be ignored.

How does that work? They have all star activities while actual games are being played? Players have to choose between all star or live game?

Didn't know this...

League takes 2-3 days off, so no participants are missing any regular season games.

In this case, HR Derby tonight and Southern League All-Star Game tomorrow night.

He won the HR Derby too, fwiw

Fun. I just worry about guys and their post-derby selves. Happens quite often it seems that they loose their power or swing/timing.

We will see soon, in Triple-A most likely.

Forgot where I read it but swinging at maximum effort repeatedly like at home run derbies (vs. only at intervals of at bats) can have long term negative effects to power and timing due to muscle, joints, and tendon fatigue or memory or some crap.

How does that work? They have all star activities while actual games are being played? Players have to choose between all star or live game?

Didn't know this...

League takes 2-3 days off, so no participants are missing any regular season games.

In this case, HR Derby tonight and Southern League All-Star Game tomorrow night.

Gotcha, not all aa, just his league.

any truth to the rumor that he won the AA home run derby?

Cubs third base prospect Kris Bryant won the Southern League Home Run Derby on Monday, blasting 16 home runs.

The Derby was light on prospects but heavy on power, and Bryant bested everyone to complete the first half of 2014 with a crown. He could be promoted to Triple-A Iowa after the All-Star Game, which could pose an interesting situation with Christian Villanueva starting at third base. Bryant's offensive output should allow him to push Villanueva into a reserve role, though there is a chance that Bryant could spend some time in the outfield to give him a trial run for a potential position change.

How is the HR derby any different than the batting practice he takes daily?

Or any AA game he plays for that matter?

because they don't swing for the fences there and it's more natural

Forgot where I read it but swinging at maximum effort repeatedly like at home run derbies (vs. only at intervals of at bats) can have long term negative effects to power and timing due to muscle, joints, and tendon fatigue or memory or some crap.

To those that question how HR derby is different from AA games: In games you don't swing for the fences every AB and you rest for up to an hour between swings. I really need to dig up the article. It's quite old though.

Anyway, you try swinging a wooden bat at maximum effort for 20-30 swings with minimal rest in between and see how your arms and shoulders feel afterwards.

To those that question how HR derby is different from AA games: In games you don't swing for the fences every AB and you rest for up to an hour between swings. I really need to dig up the article. It's quite old though.

Anyway, you try swinging a wooden bat at maximum effort for 20-30 swings with minimal rest in between and see how your arms and shoulders feel afterwards.

I just got done swinging in my office, my arms feel fine but my secretary is looking at me funny.

Archived