NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kris Bryant - 3B CHC

Zombies

Forgot where I read it but swinging at maximum effort repeatedly like at home run derbies (vs. only at intervals of at bats) can have long term negative effects to power and timing due to muscle, joints, and tendon fatigue or memory or some crap.

To those that question how HR derby is different from AA games: In games you don't swing for the fences every AB and you rest for up to an hour between swings. I really need to dig up the article. It's quite old though.

Anyway, you try swinging a wooden bat at maximum effort for 20-30 swings with minimal rest in between and see how your arms and shoulders feel afterwards.

Again, how is that any different than the batting practice he takes on a daily basis?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot where I read it but swinging at maximum effort repeatedly like at home run derbies (vs. only at intervals of at bats) can have long term negative effects to power and timing due to muscle, joints, and tendon fatigue or memory or some crap.

To those that question how HR derby is different from AA games: In games you don't swing for the fences every AB and you rest for up to an hour between swings. I really need to dig up the article. It's quite old though.

Anyway, you try swinging a wooden bat at maximum effort for 20-30 swings with minimal rest in between and see how your arms and shoulders feel afterwards.

Again, how is that any different than the batting practice he takes on a daily basis?

Same concept, it's not repeated maximum effort.

Doesn't matter really, it's just something I read a while back and could be baloney for all that matters.

Bryant is a special kid and I'm a Cibs fan in Chicago so just hoping for the best.

How is the HR derby any different than the batting practice he takes daily?

Or any AA game he plays for that matter?

because they don't swing for the fences there and it's more natural

There's zero evidence to suggest a home run derby is bad for a hitter. Some people do great after the derby, some people do bad, some people perform the same. It's a game of streaks and slumps.

Same concept, it's not repeated maximum effort.

Doesn't matter really, it's just something I read a while back and could be baloney for all that matters.

Bryant is a special kid and I'm a Cibs fan in Chicago so just hoping for the best.

I'm just saying, you don't think some of these guys have a BP session every once in a while, on like a Saturday morning before a night game, where they play Derby against their teammates? McGwire used to put on a show most pre-games, and the few times I've seen Stanton take BP it seemed like he was competing with himself to see how far he could hit the ball.

To me, that whole argument is silly.

So much for the "There's not way this guy sees AAA" stuff we've seen on about 5 pages of this thread, eh?

I don't think anyone said that. It was more there is no way the Cubs bring him up before Super 2 passes next year unless they sign him to an extension in the offseason.

So much for the "There's not way this guy sees AAA" stuff we've seen on about 5 pages of this thread, eh?

I don't think anyone said that. It was more there is no way the Cubs bring him up before Super 2 passes next year unless they sign him to an extension in the offseason.

You may want to go back and re-read a few of these pages on that.

Saying that, it's great to see Bryant join Alcantara and Baez at AAA.

The Cubs could be ridiculous in two years. The NL Central is starting to look like the NFC West in terms of talent.

Eh, no pitching. They should have a good lineup, though.

They'll trade a prospect or two to get a pitcher. Shark will net them one, if not two, 1-3 pitchers (he should net them an elite pitching prospect that's close to ready, and one very good one that's close to ready). They'll sign a free agent. Couple that with a few of their minor leaguers who should be up.

I HOPE that is the plan. The fun part is going to see how good Byant can be.

I give about a 1 in 10,000 chance Bryant is called up this year. Don't get your hopes up.

He will be up this year. Hard to hold back the number 1 prospect in all of baseball. Nobody else is the game is on his tier either.

I give about a 1 in 10,000 chance Bryant is called up this year. Don't get your hopes up.

He will be up this year. Hard to hold back the number 1 prospect in all of baseball. Nobody else is the game is on his tier either.

I'd say joey gallo

Archived