NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Lucas Sims - SP ATL

mattpao

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah my minors team last year was only 6 players (10 now), so if this guys ETA is 2015/16, there were other more ready guys out there to pick up... I"m definitely excited to own him though, glad I held onto him.

This is why I had to drop him. Needed pitching help now and he's likely 2-3 years away from making an impact,plus he's not really pitching well this years so far, ERA is close to 5 and strikeouts are way down and walking alot of batters. Have Henry Owens, E Butler, J Gray and R Montero near MLB ready so Sims was the obvious cut for me.

Edited by DMurphy77

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

March 17th - 5.2IP 2 hits 3BB and 10K YTD - 14.2IP 3ER 7H 10BB and 26K BB still high, but K's are racking up.

the three walks were all in a row, too. he just lost the handle for a bit... he's always had that problem but i find it encouraging that he can run along for innings at a time without walking anybody. shows that he does have control somewhere in his body. if he can just figure out how to not go off the rails like that, then we'd be cookin' with gas

What does he feature? High velocity FB?

He mostly sits in the low 90's with high FB. His curve is true plus pitch and avg change up.

He has trouble repeating his delivery though so the BB numbers are going to be inflated. If he ever gets his command established he could be a beast.

Love to see the upside of Sims on display. Braves have had way too many number 3-4 type pitching prospects come up the last few years, Sims could actually be a future 1 or 2.

Jenkins, Folty, and maybe 1 or 2 more ahead of him currently in the pecking order but that's fine he can keep developing. Maybe an August call-up for him and gets some starts as they look to see if he can be an option for next year's rotation.

Would be very surprised if Atlanta got aggressive with Sims at this point in time, but saw a tweet from Mark Bowman earlier today that Bud Norris is in the pen today, which means there's a start this weekend that someone else is making...

Jenkins and Folty may in fact be ahead of Sims, but Atlanta's cycling through the retreads rather quickly.

ETA - sounds like Monday instead...

David O'Brien @DOBrienAJC 1h1 hour ago

#Braves Norris available in pen today, sounds like he'll be replaced in rotation Monday but nothing official yet.

Edited by JFS171

yeah sims just made his second start in AAA, i don't think they're thinking about calling him up yet. i'd expect him to be more of a late-season callup like bravesfan says above. unless he suddenly stops walking anybody. but how likely is that

• 11 months later...