NBC Sports Edge Forums

AL only keeper question

ssmarsh

Here's the league: 10 teams, AL only, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 7 keepers. We use a taxi squad bench system with weekly roster transactions and MONTHLY drop/add roster adjustments. Our categories are: average, HR, RBI, runs, 2*SB + BB, wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB, saves - blows saves + 1/2 hold.

I mortgaged my future last season making a run at the title and finished in 2nd place. Now I'm left with A LOT of high salaried players as I try and figure out my keeper list. We don't draft until early April so I still have plenty of time, but it's never to early to ask. I have a few keeper locks (Hafner, Figgins, Shields) but I'm on the fence about the rest. Here are some possibilities with their dollar value:

Roy Halladay, $40 - I know he's $40 of my $260 draft day payroll, but he's such a dominant pitcher (when healthy) that I'm inclined to keep him. My league tends to overpay for pitching so I think he'd go for close to $40 on draft day if I threw him back. I'm also inclined to keep him as I'm projecting the draft to be weak on available pitchers.

Curt Schilling, $34 - yet another high priced starter. He can still bring it and he had comparable numbers to Halladay. The questions really are, do I keep one of them (if so, which one) or both of them?

Jaret Wright, $3 - his 2006 numbers weren't great, but for $3 he may be worth taking a flier on now that he's back with Mazzone and out of the NY pressure cooker. If he reverts back towards his 2004 numbers, he'd be a steal at $3.

Rondell White, $2 - as of right now he's going to be close to an everyday player for the Twins in '07, but does that make it worth the gamble? His numbers were weak last season, and he is 34, but for two bucks I could do worse.

Mark Ellis, $8 - if his finger is healed, he returns as the A's 2nd baseman next season. Worth the $8 gamble?

Thanks in advance and all comments are welcome!

If your forced to keep 7, i would keep...

Roy Halladay, $40 - I know he's $40 of my $260 draft day payroll, but he's such a dominant pitcher (when healthy) that I'm inclined to keep him. My league tends to overpay for pitching so I think he'd go for close to $40 on draft day if I threw him back. I'm also inclined to keep him as I'm projecting the draft to be weak on available pitchers.

Curt Schilling, $34 - yet another high priced starter. He can still bring it and he had comparable numbers to Halladay. The questions really are, do I keep one of them (if so, which one) or both of them?

Rondell White, $2 - as of right now he's going to be close to an everyday player for the Twins in '07, but does that make it worth the gamble? His numbers were weak last season, and he is 34, but for two bucks I could do worse.

Mark Ellis, $8 - if his finger is healed, he returns as the A's 2nd baseman next season. Worth the $8 gamble?

If i was you and its allowed think about dealing a player or two for some other talent.

Here's the league: 10 teams, AL only, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 7 keepers. We use a taxi squad bench system with weekly roster transactions and MONTHLY drop/add roster adjustments. Our categories are: average, HR, RBI, runs, 2*SB + BB, wins, ERA, IP-H, K-BB, saves - blows saves + 1/2 hold.

I mortgaged my future last season making a run at the title and finished in 2nd place. Now I'm left with A LOT of high salaried players as I try and figure out my keeper list. We don't draft until early April so I still have plenty of time, but it's never to early to ask. I have a few keeper locks (Hafner, Figgins, Shields) but I'm on the fence about the rest. Here are some possibilities with their dollar value:

Jaret Wright, $3 - his 2006 numbers weren't great, but for $3 he may be worth taking a flier on now that he's back with Mazzone and out of the NY pressure cooker. If he reverts back towards his 2004 numbers, he'd be a steal at $3.

Thanks in advance and all comments are welcome!

I would keep Halladay at $40 because he is a better bet to log innings this year than Schilling...plus he is really a top 5 pitcher in the A.L., while Schilling proved last year that his best days may be behind him due to the decreased velocity on his fastball...

No thoughts on Wright, White or Ellis? I've found that winning rotis leagues depends more on your B tier, and lower, players rather than the stars (since everyone has them). Any thoughts on whether those three guys would be worth taking a flier on?

I would keep Halladay.

Write, White, and Ellis ... all have very minimal fantasy value...

I dont think Write will be good, i dont think white will do anything, and ellis... i duno about.

But at the values you can get them at, its worth it, if you want to take that.

But if you put them back in the draft, i bet you get them for 1-3 dollers anyway.

If you're convinced Halladay will go for more than $40, keep him. Even with the forearm concerns, he's worth about as much now as he was last year at this time.

Schilling is a weaker bet at $34. He's probably worth about as much in your format as he is in a typical 5x5 format. I'd expect him to go for about $10 less than Halladay.

Wright is strictly a $1 pick and not a very good one, in my opinion. I'd pass.

Like you said, White's likely to play regularly, and $2 for a regular outfielder -- even one who is going to spend at least a few weeks on the DL -- is a fine gamble.

Ellis is borderline. It comes down to how many of the dozen or so second basemen ahead of him are going to be kept. I'd lean towards passing.

Wright is strictly a $1 pick and not a very good one, in my opinion. I'd pass.

Like you said, White's likely to play regularly, and $2 for a regular outfielder -- even one who is going to spend at least a few weeks on the DL -- is a fine gamble.

Ellis is borderline. It comes down to how many of the dozen or so second basemen ahead of him are going to be kept. I'd lean towards passing.

That says it v. good.

Wright - i wouldnt take

White = not bad, but will be on DL a few weeks.

Ellis = your decision.

B). very well said.

Who else is on your roster?
My problem is I mortgaged my future to try and win last year (I came in second), leaving me with a very poor keeper roster. Here are the keeper players I can choose from:

OF Juan Rivera - $4 (would have been a great keep if he hadn't broken his leg)

OF Rondell White - $2

OF Vlad Guerrero - $40

OF Manny Ramirez - $41

1B Travis Hafner - $31

3B Eric Chavez - $28

2B Mark Ellis - $8

3B/OF Chone Figgins - $15

SP Curt Schilling - $34

SP Roy Halladay - $40

SP Josh Beckett - $35

SP Jaret Wright - $3

CL Mariano Rivera - $39

MR Scot Shields - $5

MR Kyle Farnsworth - $6

We can keep up to 7 (less is ok) and as of right now my lock keepers are Hafner, Figgins, Shields and Halladay. The other three are up in the air but based on salary concerns I'm leaning towards White, Wright and Schilling.

If you deal halladay, could you get better keeper fodder in return?

I'm going to try and deal the other high priced players (Vlad, Manny, Mo) during the off-season trading period, which starts March 1.

Youu cant just let vlad/manny go back in the draft, deff. try to deal them off. or keep one of them. don't keep J. Wright.

Hafner is a v. solid keeper.

Oh, believe me, I will try. The problem is they're priced pretty much where they end up going for on draft day so people may not want to deal one of their potential keepers for a player they know they would have a good shot of getting on draft day.

Oh, believe me, I will try. The problem is they're priced pretty much where they end up going for on draft day so people may not want to deal one of their potential keepers for a player they know they would have a good shot of getting on draft day.

Yup, understood...

Best of luck to you.

Archived