NBC Sports Edge Forums

2013 ALDS- Tigers @ A's

Backdoor Slider

Tigers seem to be limping into the playoffs, while the A's were hot. Injured Miggy could really stall this offense, but if Scherzer, JV, Anibal, & Fister pitch like they're capable, this team is World Series bound.

1 game at a time though. Tigers jump on Colon early and get Mad Max a quick 3-0 lead in the 1st inning.

Well, Cespedes had a good game. The rest of the A's really struggled. Now they get Verlander. Will be interesting to see which JV shows up. Even in his dominant years though, JV seemed mortal come playoff time.

On the other side, I really like Gray & think he's gonna give the Tigers lineup trouble. Expecting another low scoring game.

Gotta say, Mad Max was nails for 6 innings, only mistake to Cespedes, who crushed it. Benoit looked very solid, which given their BP issues, is key. Unlike last September, he looks fresher, and not out of gas.

Gray will present a matchup issue in that DET hasn't seen him before, and the edge goes to the pitchers, but DET gets to freeroll this game. I didn't watch enough DET games with the new job to get a sense on if Verlander is just wearing down, or if it's a physical issue, but he gets a chance to turn the page, and apply a choke hold to OAK right now.

Given DET's disappointment last year, you get the feeling they're going to come out firing again. Obviously a must-win for OAK - their team has been great, but the lack of a true ace really shows up in short series (Brett Anderson was supposed to be that guy) - you have to wonder if Parker wasn't showing signs of fatigue (just awesome up until September for the most part), if they wouldn't have rolled with him (but can't blame them for going with Gray given the fade).

I am hopeful that OAK pulls it out, but Detroit would be fine with me as well.

I just don't want Boston from the AL :S

Verlander seems to be a lot more jekyll and hyde in the playoffs. He's had a couple of real gems, but also gotten knocked around a bit. I look for a tight game tonight. Predicting a 4-3 Tigers win with neither SP factoring in on the decision.

Edit: Shouldn't say he's never been dominant. He was until he ran into Panda last year.

Yes, there is a game going on right now, shocked there's not talk about game 3 that has Parker facing A Sanchez.

With both pitchers having had nice seasons, you'd think this would be a pitchers duel, not so, lots of offense thru 4 1/2 innings. A's finally got the long ball with 3 in the top half of the 4th, taking the lead at 6-3.

Little known fact: A's lead all of baseball after the ASB in HR's. Nice to see that transition into the playoffs at a much needed time. Looked to have their backs against the wall coming into today's game facing Sanchez, however, if they can maintain this lead, Det will be in must win situations for the rest of the series.

LET'S GO A's!!

Gonna be a lot of talk about Mad Max on short rest, but Jimmy seems dead set against it. Personally I think they should do it, this team has some hard $ decisions to make soon its beyond time for them to go for broke imo

That exchange between VMart and Balfour was a bit over the top. Walking toward the mound was not the proper approach there V, take some pine meat..these high priced professional players sure are testy these days, how about portraying yourselves as the role models you're supposed to be for the youth of our society instead of as hot headed little boys? but I digress....

A's are soo underrated, Little David has Goliath's back against the wall.

Not liking Straily as the gm 4 starter for the A's, but who knows, the pen is well rested in case he doesn't have it. Can the A's complete the upset tomorrow? Only time will tell....

Let me state for the record, we do not know what Balfour said that prompted V to drop f and b bombs, but everyone does know that Balfour talks to himself while on the mound, he's quite animated, some players take it personal, I say, get over it and take him deep if you're offended, best revenge a baseball player can have, but do not strut towards the mound looking for a fight( unless it was about your mother or child).

Way too many confrontations these days, play ball

Let me state for the record, we do not know what Balfour said that prompted V to drop f and b bombs, but everyone does know that Balfour talks to himself while on the mound, he's quite animated, some players take it personal, I say, get over it and take him deep if you're offended, best revenge a baseball player can have, but do not strut towards the mound looking for a fight( unless it was about your mother or child).

Way too many confrontations these days, play ball

It was Balfour dropping the Fbomb first on Victor, for 'looking at him'. This one was on Balfour, that crazy.

V is frustrated by the whole teams lack of production, himself in particular, when he fouled that ball off, he just stared at Balfour, thats when Bal asked him what? you got something? bring it, then came the f-u b bombs from V. But Both were in the wrong, but when V walked towards the mound, he went a bit too far, need level heads, not leveling each other. Mind games

V is frustrated by the whole teams lack of production, himself in particular, when he fouled that ball off, he just stared at Balfour, thats when Bal asked him what? you got something? bring it, then came the f-u b bombs from V. But Both were in the wrong, but when V walked towards the mound, he went a bit too far, need level heads, not leveling each other. Mind games

Obviously I'm a Tigers fan, but no surprise you say "Go A's," then go on to attempt to blame VMart here.

Tigers and Victor are frustrated, no doubt, and that helped lead to the minor incident. But Balfour started it with "What the F you looking at," as if he's a 9 year old in the back seat on a long vacation (Mom! He's looking at me!).

I don't care that Balfour does it. But then I also don't care if guys bark back, or even walk out to the mound. Maybe he yells to get in guys' heads. That can go both ways. It seems that you're letting your rooting interest cloud your objectiveness.

Did you read the article? This is on Balfour. They have the

for more proof. Silly Aussie.

Think I posted both were in the wrong. Guess next time Balfour just needs to throw at his ear? Or how about a repeat of Greinke and Quintin? Someone gets seriously hurt? over what? a few words? Balfour didn't come close to V on any pitch in that ab, no need to mug him, by your standard, that's enough to hit him high? going out to the mound is exactly the same, all because Balfour barked at him....

My point here is this kinda stuff is getting out of hand, both are seasoned vets, both are grown men, want to jack your jaw? fine, but get back in the box, no need to go towards the mound. I could understand if Balfour buzzed him, but he stayed middle out. give me a break, but I understand your point as a det fan.......anything to spark the team right?

I'm old enough to remember as a kid, watching Lolich, if I'm not mistaken, throwing at Campy's head in a playoff game, the one where Campy threw his bat at Lolich in retaliation, then charged the mound, there is bad blood there still, perhaps my disdain for det started there, but I promise, I won't charge the mound over it nor will I throw at your ear, I've taught my kids and grandkids that that type behavior is unacceptable, grown ups don't act in such a manner.

Bringing Max in...fail. I was surprised Leyland went that route

Well, since they'd have Verlander throw Game 5, if they win, it's not quite as bad.

Put another way - I'd rather they fail with their bullets spent than with them in the holster (see: NLDS LA/ATL thread). If people want to argue Max wasn't at his most effective this say, perhaps, but I like the all-hands-on-deck approach for elimination games.

Reddick has to lay off that 3-2 change. That pitch was nowhere near the zone. Absolutely awful.

He cost the A's the tying run and also brought the Detroit crowd back into it. Just an atrocious end to the at bat for Reddick.

Reddick has to lay off that 3-2 change. That pitch was nowhere near the zone. Absolutely awful.

He cost the A's the tying run and also brought the Detroit crowd back into it. Just an atrocious end to the at bat for Reddick.

I mean, I understand Reddick was looking for the heat there, but my god that was just a piss poor changeup by Scherzer, and he would probably tell you that himself. He yanked it two feet out of the zone and Reddick chases it. Just putrid.

Bringing Max in...fail. I was surprised Leyland went that route

Well, since they'd have Verlander throw Game 5, if they win, it's not quite as bad.

Put another way - I'd rather they fail with their bullets spent than with them in the holster (see: NLDS LA/ATL thread). If people want to argue Max wasn't at his most effective this say, perhaps, but I like the all-hands-on-deck approach for elimination games.

Agree. In '08 (??) Leyland saved Kenny Rogers, who was great that year, instead of throwing him. He never got the chance. No tomorrow if you don't win today. Good move.

No one talking about the VMart HR? I thought that was fan interference for sure. Doubt it would have been caught, but probably a double.

Thanks, Reddick.

Archived